Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Restrooms no longer separated by cabin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2014, 10:47 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I think the reality is that during beverage service on a narrow-body aircraft in particular allowing coach passengers seated forward of the beverage carts is an operational expedient. I'm not DYKWIA enough to particularly care much about coach passengers using the FC bathroom when I'm seated there, even when I've paid for it and not just gotten a Medallion upgrade.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 10:06 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
I hate when they lean against my seat in row one or if I'm in the bathroom and come out to see someone sitting in my seat instead of standing for their turn.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 10:21 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by Often1
1. If this was an international flight, movement between cabins is prohibited by DHS, not FAA (DOT). And, that rule permits cabin crew broad discretion and that broad discretion results in the rule largely being honored in the breach, the smart thing being to consult with a crew member before invading hallowed ground.

2. On domestic flights there is no such rule. Air carriers are required to have a safety & security policy and to file that with FAA (DOT). Once filed with DOT, the failure to enforce the policy becomes a violation. It is a distinction without a meaning.

3. The stated reasons for requiring use of lavs in ticketed cabin are safety & security, not DYKWIA. I take it that the aircraft landed safely?
I've only ever seen the forward lav enforced twice (at least, on flights where I was seated in the forward cabin): once was on a SkyWest CR9, the other was a TATL 76U.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 4:02 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
The number of lavatories required is dictated by the number of pax. The problem is, the mandate is for the total # of lavs for total # of pax, and in some cases that causes the Y lavs to be insufficient. I found that to be the case on KL 739s and the crew let Y pax use the C lavatory (which is fine, IMO).
Old Jan 20, 2014, 5:59 am

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by WWGuy
My peeve is when FC passengers use the forward coach lav on the 757 instead of the forward lav in the FC cabin.
My peeve is when Y passengers use the rear F lav on the 757 instead of the rear lav in the Y cabin.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 6:52 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WWGuy
My peeve is when FC passengers use the forward coach lav on the 757 instead of the forward lav in the FC cabin.
Well they enforce it pretty hard. I was on an upgrade on a 757 and the F lav was occupied and there was no body in the forward Y lav and nobody heading toward it so I snuck back. The FA stopped me, saying between clenched teeth "If you wanted to use an economy class lavatory you should have bought an economy class ticket!"

Fortunately, it was a gate upgrade and I had my original boarding pass to show that I had in fact bought an economy class ticket so she let me proceed.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 7:04 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
"If you wanted to use an economy class lavatory you should have bought an economy class ticket!"
That FA surely must be on FlyerTalk!

WEBE!
Old Jan 20, 2014, 7:10 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by florin
The number of lavatories required is dictated by the number of pax.
Minor quibble: it goes by the number of seats, not passengers. Just like the rules for FA minimum staffing.

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
Well they enforce it pretty hard. I was on an upgrade on a 757 and the F lav was occupied and there was no body in the forward Y lav and nobody heading toward it so I snuck back. The FA stopped me, saying between clenched teeth "If you wanted to use an economy class lavatory you should have bought an economy class ticket!"

Fortunately, it was a gate upgrade and I had my original boarding pass to show that I had in fact bought an economy class ticket so she let me proceed.
WYLBYL?
Old Jan 20, 2014, 7:18 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Isn't it a "federal law" that we obey all instructions from uniformed crew members? Then if one says "don't use the F lav if you are sitting in Y" doesn't that make it "federal law"
Old Jan 20, 2014, 7:34 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Pharaoh
Minor quibble: it goes by the number of seats, not passengers. Just like the rules for FA minimum staffing.
Yes, you are right.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 10:17 am

Programs: Delta FO
It seems to me that they don't release the cabin separating curtain very much these days... if the curtain were deployed, I think it would be a good "soft barrier" preventing Y from reaching the forward lav.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 10:40 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by richardinmotion
It seems to me that they don't release the cabin separating curtain very much these days... if the curtain were deployed, I think it would be a good "soft barrier" preventing Y from reaching the forward lav.
Lately I have seen the curtain closed almost all of the time.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL FO, AA

In the unfortunate event that I need to go to the lav, I'm darn sure going to do it wherever one is available, especially if a cart is blocking the aisle.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Going to be a common occurrence on the 737-900s. Lots of pax blocked from getting to the lav during bev service. No mid cabin lav and a stretched plane means pax will be going to the front.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 1:13 pm

Programs: DL, KL/AF, card carrying stick-in-mud
Originally Posted by I_Can_Fly_US_Airways
They announce that it is, but it is NOT a federal law!
I notice that for a lot of people in general, but on this site in particular, when they don't like a rule or action, they claim that it is either not a federal law when the rule is enforced with action, or that it is a federal law when the rule is not enforced with action. Realistically and practically, federal law should only establish minimum safety requirements and at most recommend best practices with regard to safety. I personally thing that lavatories should be like exits: "Please take note of the location of the lavatories, keeping in mind the closest lavatory may be behind you."

Last edited by madchemiker; Jan 20, 2014 at 1:18 pm Reason: minor textual change

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.