Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thrown out of SkyBonus

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2014, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Thanks for posting. I'm still looking for language on the $5k spend requirement, which I believe has been in place for quite some time as well.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by Canarsie
The following content is from an e-mail message called The New World of SkyBonus Coming Soon dated January 26, 2010, with the pertinent portion highlighted in red:

...and every SkyBonus newsletter issued thereafter clearly displayed on the right side under the heading of Points Scheduled to Expire the points set to expire at the end of that year
We've been members less than three years -- we signed up in August 2012.

Last year I included the SkyBonus # on all of my travels. I had a spend of around $2,300; my dad also flew Delta a few times so the total spend was probably a little under $3,000.

On Monday I'm going to call on his behalf and see if there is any recourse that can be taken.

-J.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by javabytes
Thanks for posting. I'm still looking for language on the $5k spend requirement, which I believe has been in place for quite some time as well.
It's here -- https://skybonus.delta.com/bizCoTermsConditions.sb

"Participating companies that do not have Delta flown revenue greater than $5,000 USD or the equivalent in other currencies per calendar year may be de-enrolled from the Program."

I believe it has been there for awhile and is not a new addition.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 9:55 pm

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Earlier this year, Fastflyer reported being de-enrolled in December 2012 based on the 5k spend requirement:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...nesses-42.html Post #622
Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:04 pm

Looks like I was too. I claimed a USA coach ticket on 12-31 and have not received the voucher yet. Had I known they were going to steal the balance of my points I would have ordered a pile of drink tickets too. Going to call, Monday to find out where my voucher is and inquire about the point balance.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by jzweighaft

Last year I included the SkyBonus # on all of my travels. I had a spend of around $2,300; my dad also flew Delta a few times so the total spend was probably a little under $3,000.

On Monday I'm going to call on his behalf and see if there is any recourse that can be taken.

-J.
You know if you are calling to talk about someone else's account, your chances of getting anywhere just dropped. Privacy and all that.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 6:21 am

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wesheltonj
Looks like I was too. I claimed a USA coach ticket on 12-31 and have not received the voucher yet. Had I known they were going to steal the balance of my points I would have ordered a pile of drink tickets too. Going to call, Monday to find out where my voucher is and inquire about the point balance.
I had almost 200,00 points scheduled to expire on 12/31 so I redeemed them for a first-class ticket and received the voucher electronically the next day.

Note-I also found that a number of tickets had not been credited in my account, which meant I couldn't redeem for the award I wanted. They added the points in a few days, though. I will definitely check into my account more frequently from now on.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
You know if you are calling to talk about someone else's account, your chances of getting anywhere just dropped. Privacy and all that.
Well I'm listed on the account too... will give it a shot at least. If it doesn't work, I'll tell him to call.

-J.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 8:20 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"

With such minimal spend, do you even earn anything worthwhile with SkyBonus? Is it even worth the trouble? Or, am I missing something?
Old Jan 12, 2014, 8:41 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Do any other carriers have a similar program?
AA has a similar program (Business Extra I believe), but their awards don't appear to be as good as DL's in terms of ease of redemption. I'm not sure they have a minimum spend because while our company easily meets the Delta requirement (we earned 262k in SkyBonus points last year), we don't fly AA much and they haven't kicked us out of that program yet (if the program survives the merger that will change since our company's headquarters is Charlotte).
Old Jan 12, 2014, 8:43 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
With such minimal spend, do you even earn anything worthwhile with SkyBonus? Is it even worth the trouble? Or, am I missing something?
I'm not sure what the trouble would be, it takes about five minutes to sign up as I recall and once you put your SkyBonus number in your profile, that's it. Our corporate travel system automatically adds the SkyBonus number to all of our employees' reservations.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
It's a lot easier to earn ponts if you aren't flying out of a hub. They really screw the hub flyers on ponts. You get a LOT fewer ponts when you use a hub

It's based on revenue not miles and you get a lot more pots on j/f so since you fly nternatinal a lot u may as well sign up

You can get drink vouchers and sky club passes that are ice to give out to non status employees who have to fly, trips that aren't upgradable, gift silver status and sky club memberships
Old Jan 12, 2014, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Beckles
I'm not sure what the trouble would be, it takes about five minutes to sign up as I recall and once you put your SkyBonus number in your profile, that's it. Our corporate travel system automatically adds the SkyBonus number to all of our employees' reservations.
If the SkyBonus number appears on all of the person's flights, then I don't understand the fuss about flights to nice places. It sounds like leisure trips are entitled to use the SkyBonus number too. What are the rules on this?
Old Jan 12, 2014, 9:30 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by Beckles
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
It's a lot easier to earn ponts if you aren't flying out of a hub. They really screw the hub flyers on ponts. You get a LOT fewer ponts when you use a hub

It's based on revenue not miles and you get a lot more pots on j/f so since you fly nternatinal a lot u may as well sign up

You can get drink vouchers and sky club passes that are ice to give out to non status employees who have to fly, trips that aren't upgradable, gift silver status and sky club memberships
Yes, I understand. I am a member.

But, for those who only spend like $2000 to $3000 per year (which I was referencing in my post); wouldn't it just get you like a few drink vouchers each year? In which case, I'm not really sure why one would be upset that they canceled said person's membership.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Yes, I understand. I am a member.

But, for those who only spend like $2000 to $3000 per year (which I was referencing in my post); wouldn't it just get you like a few drink vouchers each year? In which case, I'm not really sure why one would be upset that they canceled said person's membership.
Even if it gets one two sets of 10-drink vouchers a year it's a great deal if they are only dropping $2 to $3,000 a year with Delta. I don't understand people being upset about being dropped if they spend under $5K a year. It's in the T&C and if someone isn't spending $5K a year they aren't even qualified for gold next year. If a business isn't spending enough for an individual to even be gold on Delta, they aren't a very HVC.

Delta should give 30 days notice before dropping someone so they can spend the points or get the spend up

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.