Thrown out of SkyBonus

Old Jan 10, 14, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Thrown out of SkyBonus

Sorry to distract from the SkyClub melee, but I'm wondering if anyone else got shafted by SkyBonus this week. Long story short, I tried to log in, and my account was "inactive". I gave the SkyBonus folks a call, and after they took a look, they said I hadn't met the new spending requirements.

Now here's the rub, I've been a SkyBonus member for about 10 years, and I'm pretty sure I did spend more than their new $5k limit on travel this year, a fact that Quickbooks rapidly confirmed (about 150 tickets in 4 years). So, the SkyBonus rep I was talking to, obviously a graduate Magna Cum Laude of the Delta LoungeDragon training institute, said that some of my tickets had been disqualified because they appeared to be personal travel. She went on to insinuate that I didn't actually have a business. Of course, I offered to send my annual meeting minutes, tax returns, summary of current contracts, CAGE code and SAM registration, banking reference, etc, etc. No dice...she still indicated that their opinion was that I wasn't running a qualified business because a lot of the travel seemed to be to "nice places". I pretty much ended the conversation by pointing out that they might have possibly sent me an email before closing my account and eliminating all of my points without recourse? Her reply: "I guess you're entitled to think that."

Trying to keep this in perspective here, but between the lounge thing, the miles devaluation, and this all in one week, I'm wondering what the heck is going on at DL corporate?
Old Jan 10, 14, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA, SPG Gold, HH Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
My company was also thrown out apparently. Doesn't matter too much to me. The rewards were [edited]

Last edited by slippahs; Jan 15, 14 at 12:47 am Reason: Getting around the profanity filter still violates rules
Old Jan 10, 14, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA1k, DL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B554a Safari/9537.53)

I tried logging in last night. Seems I got the shaft as well. So be it, I didn't realize much value after having the account since 2007. My travel spending has dwindled significantly since opening the account, thus I wouldn't be surprised if I no longer met the requirements.
Old Jan 10, 14, 2:31 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, WN A-List/CP, HH Dia, Hyatt Glob, National ECE, Hertz PC
I just redeemed a travel reward for the first time, restricted coach ticket for an employee that needed an over-priced CVG-MCO ticket for a non-billable trip, really impressed with how easy it was for redemption and using the award. We earned a little over 260k points last year, enough for three domestic awards, not too shabby.
Old Jan 10, 14, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
That is pretty shocking that DL would randomly close peoples' accounts without any type of notice. Did they take your points as well?

I didn't realize there was a $5,000 spending minimum either? When did that start?
Old Jan 10, 14, 3:00 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA, SPG Gold, HH Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 View Post
That is pretty shocking that DL would randomly close peoples' accounts without any type of notice. Did they take your points as well?

I didn't realize there was a $5,000 spending minimum either? When did that start?
No notice that I know of. Pretty sh*tty for sure.
Old Jan 10, 14, 3:01 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Mine was closed too, sent them an e-mail but seems like all of our points are gone. Unbelievable.
Old Jan 10, 14, 3:08 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, WN A-List/CP, HH Dia, Hyatt Glob, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 View Post
That is pretty shocking that DL would randomly close peoples' accounts without any type of notice.
I don't see any reason to believe that Delta's actions were done randomly.
Old Jan 10, 14, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA1k, DL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B554a Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777

I received the $5k requirement notification, but surpassed it. If I had known, I would have redeemed for drink certainly at least. But to be honest, I have not flown heavily enough to truly warrant sky bonus for at least three years. Still, they could have allowed me to redeem what I had earned .
Old Jan 10, 14, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by HookemHorns View Post
...some of my tickets had been disqualified because they appeared to be personal travel...she still indicated that their opinion was that I wasn't running a qualified business because a lot of the travel seemed to be to "nice places".
If I were a better person, I'd feel bad for someone whose definition of work is sitting in a fluorescent lit room full of cubicles on Virginia Ave talking to strangers on a phone all day in two four hour shifts with thirty minutes in between for lunch and a couple restroom breaks.

My travel schedule over the next few months includes Chicago, NYC, Las Vegas, Pensacola Beach, San Juan, New Orleans, Miami Beach, Orlando and Hawaii. I sure hope my employer still pays me, since obviously if I'm going to nice places I must not be working!
Old Jan 10, 14, 3:40 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
My account was also closed, despite several paid F tickets. We went over the $5,000 in 2012, but apparently may have been under $5,000 (depending on how many re-issued IROPS ticket number may have not been recorded) for 2013.

Also completely lame that DL would just forfeit all the earned points - including points earned from previous years when we did meet the revenue requirements.
Old Jan 10, 14, 4:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, MM
Gotta find a way to recoup the profits lost during the storm. Can't miss expectations.
Old Jan 10, 14, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL DM
Was this another method of gaming DL? a one-man "consulting" firm running all of its travel through SkyBonus trying to maximize freebies? A 5K minimum spend seems reasonable.
Old Jan 10, 14, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by bubbashow View Post
Was this another method of gaming DL? a one-man "consulting" firm running all of its travel through SkyBonus trying to maximize freebies? A 5K minimum spend seems reasonable.
Did you even read the first post in this thread?
Old Jan 10, 14, 4:25 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by javabytes View Post
Did you even read the first post in this thread?
I did...I will repeat my question. Is this a program Fters used to game DL?

Search this Thread