Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thrown out of SkyBonus

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2014, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by captiveguru
Thanks for starting this thread. I had no idea SkyBonus existed. According to Quicken my 2-person company has spend $60K on Delta tickets during the past 5 years. $17K in 2013. $10K in 2012 Is it worth joining?
Yes, especially if you have flights in premium cabins or the higher coach fare classes, and even more so if you are not based in a hub city.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by javabytes
Yes, especially if you have flights in premium cabins or the higher coach fare classes, and even more so if you are not based in a hub city.
This. Points rack up much faster if you're in a non-hub city. Just remember that points do expire, and try not to go to too many "vacation" destinations

It may not give you much, but it is free, and points rack up automatically if you just put your SkyBonus number in your DL SkyMiles profile.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 9:53 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by mapsgl
I also didn't realize that the Skybonus points lapse after three years!
Yes, they expire on December 31 of the third full year after you earned them — and there is absolutely no way to extend their expiration date, no matter how much activity your SkyBonus account experiences.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Canarsie
Yes, they expire on December 31 of the third full year after you earned them — and there is absolutely no way to extend their expiration date, no matter how much activity your SkyBonus account experiences.
And unlike the annual spend requirements, the points expiration dates are pretty prominently displayed on your account activity page. Not quite sure how someone could miss those. I also don't think 3 years is an unreasonable expiration limit. We've never really had any issues spending them within that timeframe.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by waltinsocal
There is no one here more worthy of being "piled on" than that person because of that person's constant and abject stated disdain for anyone who disagrees with his viewpoint , and I am sure that person could care less. And, yes, the cheerleading outfit does leave quite an impression in my mind as well.
I would just as soon assume it was a male cheerleaders uniform. Think "Spartan Spirit".
Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Delta can do what they want, but...

A little notice - even 60 days would be the right thing to do. Yea, we would all then CASH out what we could, but so what?

To just sweep people under the rug is wrong.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:25 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by LBJ
And unlike the annual spend requirements, the points expiration dates are pretty prominently displayed on your account activity page. Not quite sure how someone could miss those. I also don't think 3 years is an unreasonable expiration limit. We've never really had any issues spending them within that timeframe.
I do not disagree with you.

For the record, what I posted was intended to be a statement of fact for the information of fellow FlyerTalk members rather than an editorial opinion.

Also, your SkyBonus points could last as many as almost four years if you earned them in January of a particular year.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by LBJ
We've never really had any issues spending them within that timeframe.
Same here. Every time we have used them for international Biz class tickets we found the flight times and days we wanted on first try.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Those of you piling on bubbashow...

In posts #13 and #15 he asked a question. Granted, it might have been a little direct, but it was a question. In post #20, he acknowledges it was a situation he didn't understand previously. We've all seen bubbashow advocate strongly on other threads, but in this case, once he understood SkyBonus was a perk used honestly by real business people, there was no disagreement or accusation that this was a fake program by people trying to scam DL.

Not that bubbashow likely cares what any of us thinks, as his attitude has served him well and been a platform for success, but I'm pointing this out anyway, because fair is fair.
Thanks. I really didn't know anything of the program other than hearing of it in passing
Old Jan 11, 2014, 11:29 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by LBJ
The issue is accumulating enough points (half a million or more) for an award worth getting. Not all can accumulate that much over 3 years. For some it may take 5+ years to accumulate enough points for one award (which is still why I think that SkyBonus may be the future of SkyMiles: taking years upon years to accumulate enough for one award, even for true FFs).
Old Jan 11, 2014, 11:32 am

I appreciate this thread. I have skybonus but haven't paid much attention to it. Clearly they plan on people forgetting about them. I just cashed out a slew of points for a fairly nice award. Here's hoping I'm able to use it.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
I agree that three years is fair.

I just signed up for it five or six years ago and forgot about it. Didn't add my new employees, didn't use the points for two or three years.

I have no one to blame but myself. I will get this fixed next week. I only wish this would have come to my attention two weeks ago so I could have used those points.

Tickets DTW to LGA were $1400+ last week.

If DL is trying to determine which spots are "too nice" for business that is ridiculous.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 12:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, MR LTP, others from cards
Looks like they closed down my small business account too, without warning or even notification. It was inherited from the NW BizPerks days and mostly got me drink chits, which mostly expired unused. However I had just cashed out accumulated expiring points for a domestic coach award, so there was not much left to forfeit.

Another Delta enhancement. Spending has dropped, but must have been over $5K from three people last year. Mostly from 8 TATL tickets so if they count like MQD a lot of that could have been excluded as tax.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ENIAC
Another Delta enhancement. Spending has dropped, but must have been over $5K from three people last year. Mostly from 8 TATL tickets so if they count like MQD a lot of that could have been excluded as tax.
I'm pretty sure they exclude taxes and fees. You can get a breakdown on each ticket by clicking on it in SkyBonus. Still, a nice bar graph ala MQD would have been nice.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 2:13 pm

Programs: 4MM/DM, Marriott Lifetime PM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by LBJ
You can miss them if you don't log into your account. This thread had me checking my account. I have over 1,000,000 points and who knows how many just expired last year.
Got to pay closer attention to this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.