Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 SkyMiles Program Changes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2013, 4:22 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
I agree with the analysis and the rest of your analysis which I took out for space, but 442 has 16 seats not 26. It's a 757 configured with recliner-type sleeper seats, not a 767 with lie-flats.
Normally, yes, but 442 on the 18th is a 763 with 26 seats - when I've looked at SEA-JFK it's mostly 752 with a 763 about 1 out of maybe 10 times. Not sure if it's a pattern or not.

And for what it's worth, 8 of the 20 formerly empty seats filled up at the diamond window.

Originally Posted by CaliguyNYC
Businesses will feel the pressure when people that travel a ton can't sit in front, Employees will ask for the benefit.
I can only imagine how that discussion will go. My guess is it won't be favorable for Delta.

Originally Posted by DTWNate
In the microcosm of that flight, you are correct. However, they are looking to modify future behavior. When you are in the front of EC on a TCON watching a dude in BE having a delightful lunch followed by a lay-flat nap, Delta is betting that you will consider ponying up for the BE next time if you know in advance that you have ZERO chance of an upgrade. If you have a 50/50 chance of free upgrade you would be much less likely to purchase BE.
Maybe I'm misinterpreting the nature of DM/PM travelers, but based on FT and conversations on airplanes, I'm guessing most of them don't have that choice.

Originally Posted by rwoman
Anyone else notice this and other threads posted by DwayneSkyMiles are now attributed to the SkyMilesTeam?

It makes more sense to have a "team" account that multiple people can access.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 4:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Did Dwayne join FT in October 2012 and make less than 30 posts? It looks to me like just a change of FT username, but it does seem more anonymous. I wonder whether DL is now going to use just one group account for a bunch of people. AFAIK other corporate representatives here on FT don't obviously do it that way, although we don't really know whether for example EF Voice is just one person.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 4:43 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by rwoman
Anyone else notice this and other threads posted by DwayneSkyMiles are now attributed to the SkyMilesTeam?

Ironic in way as there is little "team" (or recognition of status levels, or IT interoperability) in DL's alliance - Sky"Team"
Old Dec 12, 2013, 5:30 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I wonder whether DL is now going to use just one group account for a bunch of people.
Here's hoping the always responsive DLCorpGalNYC sticks around.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 6:35 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by sterno24
I do know that as a reaction to the business environment I work in...changes need to be made throughout the year.

If I were to announce all changes 2 January...and in May needed to make a change to my business model that may impact revenue and/or profit...are you suggesting I wait an additional 7 months for the yearly announcement before I make the change?

Sorry...not going to happen. If it impacts my top or bottom line...I'm going to make the necessary changes when I determine that I need to make them.

Yep...I may lose some customers along the way...but if it's for the overall good of my company...the changes will be made when I see fit.
You may run your business however you wish, and your customers may do whatever they wish.

Unless you run an airline loyalty program, I rather doubt your experience is comparable to the continual series of changes to SkyMiles.

Compare the Delta program with the UA program. For the most part, UA announces a program and sticks with it for a year. Delta sends out changes whenever, such as the 72 hour award ticket rule. You just never know when the rules will change.

I will disconnect my AT&T service sometime in the next year, and one reason will be that I rarely get more than two bills for the same amount. They are constantly changing their silly @ss little surcharges, but I plan to cure that. I will convert everything to cable. I dislike the cable company almost as much as I dislike AT&T, but the cable company manages to stick with one annual price increase. (And they even claim to regret it. )

David
Old Dec 12, 2013, 6:40 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by DiverDave
They are constantly changing their silly @ss little surcharges, but I plan to cure that.
I don't think that's unique to AT&T.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 6:45 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
Normally, yes, but 442 on the 18th is a 763 with 26 seats - when I've looked at SEA-JFK it's mostly 752 with a 763 about 1 out of maybe 10 times. Not sure if it's a pattern or not.

And for what it's worth, 8 of the 20 formerly empty seats filled up at the diamond window.
Yes, I've ridden it from SEA-JFK and of course it has to get to SEA somehow or other. I'm jealous that you're going to ride it for 442. I rode the redeye SEA-JFK about a month ago; I took a chance because I wanted to ride the 767 so I booked it and hoped hoped hoped my upgrade would clear - if it hadn't, that would have been a tough flight. Mine (as a PM) cleared at the window (which is the same as the diamond window I believe, but diamonds get priority) and all the window seats got taken (I think they sold 3 seats before that).

I would love to ride that as 442; you can enjoy the plane so much more than I could on a redeye. I had to sleep so I couldn't watch one of the huge huge selection of movies they had, and they only had the burger (great, but I had already had a meal so ate only half of it).
Old Dec 12, 2013, 6:47 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
I don't think that's unique to AT&T.
I cannot recall anybody else changing my billing terms with such frequency.

Airfares change all the time, but that's the nature of that business. And my airfares don't change after I've bought them.

David
Old Dec 12, 2013, 6:57 pm
k2

Originally Posted by bubbashow
They took away transcons to help keep the corporate contracts buying J.
How do these changes have any beneficial impact on DL's corporate sales? You're assuming Wall St. fat cats are giving DL sales the heisman because there aren't enough J seats to LAX? Come on... this does nothing for corporate sales, it's all about FCM - which is still good for your DAL position.

But there is downside for DL stockholders, I'm going to stop allowing my team buy MBY fares overseas. The PMs and lower in the group don't have a shot, and the DMs can now book cheapo econ fares (and cross their fingers). I like the change, it will save my company $.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 7:51 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz Prez; Former UA GS
JFK-SFO/LAX - ouch. And PM is really screwed.

What a deal breaker.

I used to really enjoy flying JFK-SFO because frequently/occasionally you were upgraded. I guess those days are over.

What's really screwy is that PMs have no instrument (other than miles with super high fares) to upgrade. Getting rid complementary upgrades makes sense on a BE route, but to not even offer the instruments for PM is really low.

I'm also baffled that Regionals won't work on these domestic trans con routes. This makes United's JFK-SFO look good. And THAT is really sad.

Ultimately this means few leisure trips out to SF. And for work travel, it makes much more sense to consider other carriers.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 8:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by agarc
What a deal breaker.

What's really screwy is that PMs have no instrument (other than miles with super high fares) to upgrade. (
I was waiting for this one to surface again to comment. As a PM for several years (I can never quite make DM), I use the SWU's for UG on TATL, although increasingly hard to do so. Now with the lack of visibility on EF for inventory, it just seems hopeless.

I will say though that the UG with miles has the same fare restriction that the international SWU's had, M+ fares.

Seems Delta wants only DM's on their flights.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by DiverDave
You are correct, but I would like for them to consolidate the changes into an annual event.

Right now, you just never know when an e-mail from Delta will show up with some unhappy news.

David
^^^

How would you like to be a GM making regular JFK to LAX trips, who just bought enough MQMs to grab PM status in hopes of improving his UG percentages?

Just like the folks who grabbed the advanced purchase SkyClub discount last year, just before the beverage downgrades.

To paraphrase Wimpy "I will gladly downgrade on Tuesday a benefit you paid for today..."

Back for more popcorn and beer... have already put on 3 pounds due to this thread.

Last edited by StayingHomeIsBetter; Dec 14, 2013 at 5:23 pm
Old Dec 12, 2013, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by MS02113
Here's hoping the always responsive DLCorpGalNYC sticks around.
She's been awesome and hopefully a model for other DL ambassadors on how to engage customers and often comes back to threads she's participated in for follow-up ^^
Old Dec 13, 2013, 5:02 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
I like the west coast to Hawaii upgrades. Its kind of stupid to exclude the direct flights out of Atlanta, though. I just completed ATL-LAX-OGG last week and got upgraded on the ATL-LAX legs both ways. I noticed the $225 first class standby upgrades on LAX-OGG didn't get many takers. I deliberately chose that routing to give me a chance at the transcon upgrade.

Regarding the JFK upgrades: Delta adds some additional food and a better blanket and pillow to justify taking away upgrades? Not much of a deal, especially for day trips. Not that the Westin blanket and pillow are bad. I had the same service on CDG-ATL recently and thought it was better than AF on a 777. But how is that something special on a 5 hour transcon flight?
Old Dec 13, 2013, 5:12 am

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
To paraphrase Blimpey "I will gladly downgrade on Tuesday a benefit you paid for today..."
I think you mean Wimpy...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.