Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Flew South - the definitive thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2013, 3:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
The cheeseburger is one of the best I've ever had.

I ordered an Old Fashioned from the bar and it was poured strong. One will do the trick.

Excellent meal. I'd recommend it to anyone.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 3:55 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by mersk862
I might recommend the McDonald's across the hall in the food court instead.
I thought you were a bigger fan of Sbarro. Isn't that where you and the wife met?
Old Nov 17, 2013, 3:56 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by BOSavi8tr
And to the poster that earlier suggested you could cross out the auto-grat and write whatever lesser amount you can't do that and the fact you do is disgusting. Restaurants don't just surprise you at the end of the meal with an auto-grat. It's written on any menu you receive prior to ordering. If you don't like it, PLEASE go to Varsity or McDonalds where we don't have to be near you.
Keeping it classy as per usual, I see. How laughable that you should presume to relegate a complete stranger to McDonald's over an issue that has zero impact on your life.

I never said that I adjust automatically-included gratuities, downward or otherwise, so keep your disgust in check. I don't view waiters' tips as a reward for good service; I view them as a fact of life in the U.S. and have resigned myself to tipping 20% every time. Unless, of course, the establishment automatically includes some other amount.

My personal practices aside, restaurant patrons are absolutely free to disregard automatic "gratuities" and instead tip as they see fit. By definition, a gratuity is "something given without claim or demand." Some establishments lodge criminal complaints against under-tippers, but the cases are always dismissed. Hilariously (given the histrionics of your post), One Flew South's own Web site describes the automatic 18% gratuity as "suggested."

Incidentally, come January the IRS will begin classifying automatic gratuities as taxable regular wages, which means restaurants must withhold FICA taxes on them. Rather than deal with that burden, restaurants are widely expected to curtail the imposition of automatic gratuities.

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Nov 17, 2013 at 5:18 pm Reason: removed remark in the quote already deleted by the moderator
Old Nov 17, 2013, 3:59 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
OFS serves Asian food. Why would I pay that much when I can get Panda Express right across in the food court
Old Nov 17, 2013, 4:13 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by n301dp
I thought you were a bigger fan of Sbarro. Isn't that where you and the wife met?
^^^^^^^^^^^
Old Nov 17, 2013, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I like OFS just fine, but I don't think it's out of this world good. I feel like people sing its praises a little too much and for me it never lives up to the hype. I hope to see more local restaurants make appearances in ATL. I have to suggest Varasano's in A centerpoint. The original Peachtree Rd location makes the best pies in ATL for me. The only place in the Metro ATL area that beats it for me is out in Woodstock (Vingenzo's), but I don't get out there often at all. I can say that the airport location is fantastic as well IME, and just opened last month IIRC.

If I'm being honest though, my most frequented eatery in ATL is Popeye's (flame suit: engaged), the ladies there are always so sweet and efficient and they make the best fried chicken going (and their chicken doesn't hate my lifestyle either ). Plus Popeye's isn't half bad even when it gets down to room temp on a plane...once had an FA agree heat mine up, but that's another story. I think I have a bona fide addiction though; it's bad when some of the line workers start to recognize you and know your order.

If I'm taking a parent or friend through ATL and I have a lot of time to mince around, I'll do OFS, but I don't think it's all that, so I rarely, if ever, go by myself.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by sky303
I like OFS just fine, but I don't think it's out of this world good. I feel like people sing its praises a little too much and for me it never lives up to the hype. I hope to see more local restaurants make appearances in ATL. I have to suggest Varasano's in A centerpoint. The original Peachtree Rd location makes the best pies in ATL for me. The only place in the Metro ATL area that beats it for me is out in Woodstock (Vingenzo's), but I don't get out there often at all. I can say that the airport location is fantastic as well IME, and just opened last month IIRC.

If I'm being honest though, my most frequented eatery in ATL is Popeye's (flame suit: engaged), the ladies there are always so sweet and efficient and they make the best fried chicken going (and their chicken doesn't hate my lifestyle either ). Plus Popeye's isn't half bad even when it gets down to room temp on a plane...once had an FA agree heat mine up, but that's another story.

If I'm taking a parent or friend through ATL and I have a lot of time to mince around, I'll do OFS, but I don't think it's all that, so I rarely, if ever, go by myself.
PF Changs has been my normal hangout in ATL lately. Not local, but they do have several Sweetwater beers and Stone IPA on tap, and the food is good for an airport.

I tend to only hit up OFS if I have a long layover before an international flight. For some reason, for domestic layovers, I tend to more pedestrian fare.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 4:38 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, Delta GM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Salmon Hot Pot is the best dish IMHO.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 4:40 pm

Programs: 3MM DM, DL Reserve, HH Diamond, Nat Exec Elite, SPG, PC, etc...
That open face meatloaf sandwich....nomz.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 4:40 pm

Programs: AS 75k
I like OFS just fine, but I don't think it's out of this world good. I feel like people sing its praises a little too much and for me it never lives up to the hype.
+1
Old Nov 17, 2013, 4:42 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
If I'm being honest though, my most frequented eatery in ATL is Popeye's (flame suit: engaged), the ladies there are always so sweet and efficient and they make the best fried chicken going (and their chicken doesn't hate my lifestyle either ). Plus Popeye's isn't half bad even when it gets down to room temp on a plane...once had an FA agree heat mine up, but that's another story. I think I have a bona fide addiction though; it's bad when some of the line workers start to recognize you and know your order.
I've got access to a Popeye's here in Boston, though I haven't indulged in about five years. I'm really looking forward to the new Bojangle's in ATL Concourse T (has it opened yet?), since that's something I can't get outside of the Southeast. Their cajun filet biscuit is too good.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by realjd
PF Changs has been my normal hangout in ATL lately. Not local, but they do have several Sweetwater beers and Stone IPA on tap, and the food is good for an airport.

I tend to only hit up OFS if I have a long layover before an international flight. For some reason, for domestic layovers, I tend to more pedestrian fare.
Only time I tend to do a sit-down meal at an airport is when I'm going with someone. OFS is useful for taking travel partners somewhere nice-ish before the flight. Being ATL-based, I make my "layovers" as long as I want. Long one's when I'm meeting someone or we're going to OFS, and short when I just wanna pick up something quick and board.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by MS02113
I've got access to a Popeye's here in Boston, though I haven't indulged in about five years. I'm really looking forward to the new Bojangle's in ATL Concourse T (has it opened yet?), since that's something I can't get outside of the Southeast. Their cajun filet biscuit is too good.
Bo's tends to mess with my stomach, but I want to say it's open. I can't recall for certain, but I'm almost sure. Someone else can probably chime in there. Guthrie's is another great chicken place that is even more limited in the number of franchises than Bo's. Limited menu, but great food. Also as far as ATL food, I like Paschal's for some good soul food, and like Popeye's, great staff.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 5:03 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by BOSavi8tr
So many of these posts are outrageous.
Let me help you out here.....

From the Student Dictionary so you can understand the concept.

One entry found for gratuity.
Main Entry: gra·tu·i·ty
Pronunciation: grschwa-primarystresst(y)ü-schwat-emacron
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -ties
: something given freely; especially : 10 : TIP
Old Nov 17, 2013, 5:20 pm

Only time I tend to do a sit-down meal at an airport is when I'm going with someone. OFS is useful for taking travel partners somewhere nice-ish before the flight. Being ATL-based, I make my "layovers" as long as I want. Long one's when I'm meeting someone or we're going to OFS, and short when I just wanna pick up something quick and board.
So you're saying that your MO is to show up at 7AM for a 3PM flight and spend the day overindulging in the Gordon's gin at the SC, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.