Old Nov 16, 2013, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
One Flew South - the definitive thread

OK THis thread does a number of things.

1. I always wanted to start a "definitive thread"
2. Could not find a huge amount about OFS

I just ate at OFS. OK it was expensive. I just paid 115 bucks with gratuity and extra tip. I did have a nice cocktail and wine and beer and 3 lots of Japanese food - that is correct 3 ENTREES. I had a cocktail, wine and beer and the lamb sausage appetizer was awesome. I am a total convert - please feel free to post your experiences.

I posted in the DL forum because the airport is ATL the worlds number 1 airport and DLs number 1 hub. Mods please move if you feel appropriate.- dining forum?
Old Nov 16, 2013, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
No, this forum seems appropriate since this was in ATL.

Next time, I suggest you add the words "The Official" in your thread title just so it's more clear and more important.

Oh... and I also love good Japanese food.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium Elite, HH Diamond
Anytime I have a lengthy layover in ATL, regardless of terminal of arrival or departure, I head to OFS. Easily one of the best airport meals I've experienced!
Old Nov 16, 2013, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I really can't get enough. I was there with a friend 2 weeks ago and had a nice assortment of sushi rolls and sparkling wine. It's one of the main reasons I look forward to flying DL and through ATL these days, and I won't even bother booking such a flight unless there is ample time to visit OFS.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I would be delighted to entertain clients/customers there too.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 9:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
How do OFS wine by the glass prices currently compare to the SC "Luxury Bar"?
Old Nov 16, 2013, 10:39 pm

Stay away from the sushi

everything else is fantastic
Old Nov 17, 2013, 1:59 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
with gratuity and extra tip
so does that mean they "auto-grat," and you added an additional tip? (seems strange to "auto-grat" for parties of one)
Old Nov 17, 2013, 2:06 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I've never been in OFS. I have been outside of it and looked at its menu but when there was nothing on it that I recognized I headed to Varsity.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by baccarat_king
so does that mean they "auto-grat," and you added an additional tip? (seems strange to "auto-grat" for parties of one)
Yes declares it on the menu that 18% auto-gratuity is added "for my convenience"
Old Nov 17, 2013, 2:47 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Yes declares it on the menu that 18% auto-gratuity is added "for my convenience"
I always find that obnoxious. I tend to tip around 20%+ in the states; but when they "auto-grat," especially at a rate of 18%, then I tend to never leave any additional tip since I figure if they are so worried about people leaving proper tips, then why should I bother giving anything additional.

It's a "trust thing," for me.... They provide me with GOOD SERVICE, and "trust" that I will appreciate said service, and provide a proper gratuity.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 4:24 am

Programs: SPG Plat, DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Avis First, National EE, Marriott Gold
My normal order is the salad with Benton's bacon - it's pork crack and I have flown from TYS with 5 lbs once upon a time. I usually add on an entree - the pulled duck is amazing, as well as the chicken soup. They will pack the soup to go fairly quickly. Also - if you're in a hurry, but still want the meal, you can call ahead and order and then pick up at the bar. Just be prepared to answer lots of questions about where you got your meal from.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 5:27 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
I always find that obnoxious. I tend to tip around 20%+ in the states; but when they "auto-grat," especially at a rate of 18%, then I tend to never leave any additional tip since I figure if they are so worried about people leaving proper tips, then why should I bother giving anything additional.

It's a "trust thing," for me.... They provide me with GOOD SERVICE, and "trust" that I will appreciate said service, and provide a proper gratuity.
This is my attitude too. Adding 18% for small parties seems like too much if the service is less than good/excellent. This would force someone in that circumstance to take the time to compalin to management, which would be impossible if someone needs to rush for a flight. They seem to be betting on this.

The 18% service charge just lowered my opinion of OFS by a lot. Does anyone know when this policy started?
Old Nov 17, 2013, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
The pulled duck confit is one of the best sandwiches I've had ever.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 9:25 am

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
In fairness to OFS, adding auto gratuity for small parties is more common where there are a lot of tourists (e.g. Disneyland) because tourists (non FT) might not be so familiar with American tipping customs.

Another nice restaurant is Ecco in Terminal F. If you don't like Japanese or Southern, give Ecco a try.
aryan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.