Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

can't assign "certain" seats for 24hrs after booking by 3rd party

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2013, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, PLAT MARRIOTT, GOLD *WOOD, EXEC ELITE NATIONAL, 5* Hertz

My corporate travel agent booked me onto DL flights. Never had an issue to go to delta.com and select seats that I like immediately after booking. But now I get this really uncool pop-up during the seat selection:

UNABLE TO ASSIGN SEATS
Your ticket was booked through a travel agency or online booking source, and certain seats are not immediately available for assignment. Seat selection generally becomes available 24 hours after booking

Is this new? Is this a new undocumented Medallion benefits?

Cheers!
Old Nov 14, 2013, 8:47 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
It sometimes takes up to 24 hours for a reservation to be "ticketed." This is travel industry jargon for the time it takes the airline to actually process a ticket and confirm a seat for the reservation your agent booked. This is very common with third parties.

I've also had it happen where you can book a regular seat, but it won't allow you to book preferred or econ. comfort seats until your reservation is "ticketed."
Old Nov 14, 2013, 9:01 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by aliv
My corporate travel agent booked me onto DL flights. Never had an issue to go to delta.com and select seats that I like immediately after booking. But now I get this really uncool pop-up during the seat selection:

UNABLE TO ASSIGN SEATS
Your ticket was booked through a travel agency or online booking source, and certain seats are not immediately available for assignment. Seat selection generally becomes available 24 hours after booking

Is this new? Is this a new undocumented Medallion benefits?

Cheers!
As noted above, this is common with some 3rd party sites. For example, government reservations are booked through the Defense Travel System, and aren't ticketed until 3 business days before the trip begins. Since the trip is not ticketed, you can't select "Preferred" or "EC" seats online (HINT: you can, for now, at least select "Preferred" seats through the DL Mobile App - EC seats still come up blocked). Once the flight is ticketed, you can select any seat you're entitled to - Preferred or EC.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, PLAT MARRIOTT, GOLD *WOOD, EXEC ELITE NATIONAL, 5* Hertz
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
As noted above, this is common with some 3rd party sites. For example, government reservations are booked through the Defense Travel System, and aren't ticketed until 3 business days before the trip begins. Since the trip is not ticketed, you can't select "Preferred" or "EC" seats online (HINT: you can, for now, at least select "Preferred" seats through the DL Mobile App - EC seats still come up blocked). Once the flight is ticketed, you can select any seat you're entitled to - Preferred or EC.
Interestingly enough, after 10 years of constantly booking travel through the same corp travel agent this is the first time I experience this problem. I usually just go to delta.com as soon as I get booking confirmation email and voila! Some policy change probably took effect recently that introduced this delay...
Old Nov 14, 2013, 12:09 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by aliv
Interestingly enough, after 10 years of constantly booking travel through the same corp travel agent this is the first time I experience this problem. I usually just go to delta.com as soon as I get booking confirmation email and voila! Some policy change probably took effect recently that introduced this delay...
We book corporate travel through concur. When I book, I get an initial e-mail then I get a second e-mail later in the day. The second e-mail means that the reservation is ticketed, and I can go select preferred seats.

David
Old Nov 14, 2013, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
Since the trip is not ticketed, you can't select "Preferred" or "EC" seats online (HINT: you can, for now, at least select "Preferred" seats through the DL Mobile App - EC seats still come up blocked).
Discovered this one yesterday myself. Great tip
Old Sep 12, 2014, 4:10 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, DL Gold, LP ex-Millionaire!
Just thought I'd update this old thread to note that today I was able to book EC seats on the mobile app as well as preferred seats.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 7:01 am

Programs: Delta Silver (former GM, fighting way back), Paid Delta SC Member, Hertz Gold, Gold HHonors
Originally Posted by DiverDave
We book corporate travel through concur. When I book, I get an initial e-mail then I get a second e-mail later in the day. The second e-mail means that the reservation is ticketed, and I can go select preferred seats.

David
We use Concur as well and I can go to delta.com and make seat changes even while the reservation is going through ticketing. Did this just yesterday and my seat selections held.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 8:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You also can't be upgraded until the ticket has been issued.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 8:53 am

Programs: DL DM; AA EP
My company books online through Amex Travel. I see the same popup if I go to Delta's site right away, but the block usually clears and allows me to select seats after 15-20 minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.