Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Changes coming next Spring"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2013, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by GatorBlues
You nailed it. I spend a lot of money with Delta and put $60K on my Reserve card because the better % of upgrades as a PM (and hopefully this year as a DM) are worth it to me. When I travel for leisure, I buy the cheapest fares far in advance. I usually get upgraded on those weekend flights. Those upgrades are a big part of why I usually overpay for Delta flights, for both business and leisure travel, versus cheaper ones on Airtran/SW out of Atlanta. (Interestingly, I get far fewer upgrades on my business trips, no doubt because more DM and PM road warriors fly during the week.)

If Delta wants me to downgrade my AMEX to the minimum required for free bags, not spend a dime on that AMEX, and start buying every ticket based solely on price, all they have to do is make upgrades only for K and above. I'll pour my credit card spend into a better rewards program than Delta Skypesos.
Exactly
Old Oct 3, 2013, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Ti22
Voice of reason and wisdom....

For practicall purposes, the advance UG is dead and future changes will merely bring that about in seemingly more "honest" fashion.
Ridiculous. I have clear 3 out of 4 upgrades at the window to/from LAX in the last 10 days. The one I didn't, I didn't make at all.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by davetravels
Well, hypothetically, if a DM purchases a nearly last minute ticket, and other DMs, PMs & GMs have already been UG'd on <K fares, those seats wouldn't be available for the last minute DM purchase.
DL doesn't fill F with window upgrades; they have a good idea how many last-minute F and Y purchases are likely to happen.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by sethb
DL doesn't fill F with window upgrades; they have a good idea how many last-minute F and Y purchases are likely to happen.
Sometimes. And sometimes they're pretty terrible at it. My last flight with DL was on a mad dog. Plane went out with 35 out of 144 seats in coach occupied. DL still felt the need to keep 13 F seats (out of 16) open right up to the gate. I nearly turned down the UG so I could take a full row of 3 seats in the back.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 11:19 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, DL GM, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Harder to get first class upgrades with the same service, meals, and IFE doesn't make it better.... Something about polishing a turd.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 12:19 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by indufan
Ridiculous. I have clear 3 out of 4 upgrades at the window to/from LAX in the last 10 days. The one I didn't, I didn't make at all.
Since the merger, between LAX and ATL I've never had an upgrade clear at the window (was PM for 1st 9 months, DM since). I think twice i've had an upgrade at 3 days when it was a nearly empty up front 777. That is probably 30+ segments. The rest are all at the gate (and all but one of my missed upgrades in nearly 4 years has been LAX/ATL)

LAX-MSP/DTW have been occasionally at the window but mostly at 3-4 days.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 12:51 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Because DL front line employees are always in the know...
A couple of 'frontline employees' said that there is likely to be a full renaming of the status medallion levels ... no more Silver, Gold, Platinum or Diamond but something else from a nomenclature perspective.

Take it for what it is worth!
Old Oct 4, 2013, 1:12 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by dd1612
A couple of 'frontline employees' said that there is likely to be a full renaming of the status medallion levels ... no more Silver, Gold, Platinum or Diamond but something else from a nomenclature perspective.

Take it for what it is worth!
Possible, but...

I had a "frontline employee" tell me in MSP that DL was moving its headquarters to MSP from ATL, because rent was cheaper. Had another in MEM tell me they we going to expand MEM to take pressure off ATL.

Had a FA tell me DL was closing SLC as a hub and moving it to LAS.

I took these statements for what they were worth. I always get my FACTS from FA's and "frontline employee's". They are in the know.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 1:28 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
&quot;Changes coming next Spring&quot;

I guarantee there will be changes next spring. I am very confident that:

-- the days will get longer and the sun will rise higher in the sky
-- it will get warmer
-- it will rain more and snow less
-- flowers will bloom
-- another baseball season will begin

*Subject to continued orbit of earth around the sun. Not responsible for precession of earth's axis of rotation. Applicable in northern hemisphere only. Terms and conditions may apply.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 3:17 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
What-da-heck is a "REGULAR" flight attendant?
One that contains sugar (or HFCS), as opposed to a diet FA or a FA zero.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 3:29 am

Programs: DL EOS...
Originally Posted by indufan
Too bad you're cherry picking (again) but thanks for the informative (no routes, hmm?) information, LOL....
Old Oct 4, 2013, 9:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Fly paid F and J. AA EXP. DL PM.
Changes are coming. Delta will continue to offer complementary space available upgrades to all Medallions. However it will simply be a marketing tool. In reality Delta is trying to attract and retain high value customers. The new "enhanced" algorithms will attempt to get more high value -- FCM, fare and status -- customers into the First cabin leaving less PMs, GMs, and FOs up front. Look for even more "at gate" upgrades and fare exclusions. Say hello to Economy Comfort.

2015 will look and feel different.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 9:53 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Ti22
Too bad you're cherry picking (again) but thanks for the informative (no routes, hmm?) information, LOL....
For the last month...

Sunday to Thursday SLC-IAH-SLC travel this week on CR9 cleared at the window.

Thursday afternoon DTW-MSP travel two weeks ago on a 738 cleared at the window.

Monday afternoon SLC-MSP travel three weeks ago on a 738 cleared at the window.

Thursday afternoon JFK-SLC travel four weeks ago on a 738 cleared at the window.

I don't doubt that some people and some routes only clear at the gate but the vast majority of my upgrades this year have been at the window.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Fly paid F and J. AA EXP. DL PM.
Originally Posted by TTT
For the last month...

Sunday to Thursday SLC-IAH-SLC travel this week on CR9 cleared at the window.

Thursday afternoon DTW-MSP travel two weeks ago on a 738 cleared at the window.

Monday afternoon SLC-MSP travel three weeks ago on a 738 cleared at the window.

Thursday afternoon JFK-SLC travel four weeks ago on a 738 cleared at the window.

I don't doubt that some people and some routes only clear at the gate but the vast majority of my upgrades this year have been at the window.
You're apparently the target. I wonder if DL is using/testing other unpublished variables re who/when/why upgrades are at the window.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
What-da-heck is a "REGULAR" flight attendant?
Perhaps they will be rolling out the new Luxury Flight Attendants this spring?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.