Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Luggage Downgrade for Delta Silver medallions (&MM)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luggage Downgrade for Delta Silver medallions (&MM)

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2013, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
I just love how so many DYKWIAs get bent out of shape when they're enhanced, but when it happens to someone of lesser status their response often as not is akin to "suck it up".

Delta is slowly but surely chipping away at their good will at all levels.
Old May 28, 2013, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: delta
Yes I earned these miles

This is the first time I have been silver medallion in years having been gold the last three years prior. I earned my miles by flyingnot by credit cards points. The last time I was a silver was in 2007.

My point is that as a MM I earned silver medallion for life. One of the perks when I earned silver medallion was 2 free checked luggages. Now this benefit is gone. With Delta going to the Supreme Court to defend Northwest taking away a frequent fliers miles for complaining too much, I figure eventually all loyalty programs will undergo scrutiny when the justices dig into how the airlines and hotels operate and book keep their programs
Old May 28, 2013, 8:20 pm
Suspended

I am sure DL will do away with the Million Miler status and replace it with Million MQD-er.
Old May 28, 2013, 8:23 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
This is not new news. This has been the case for at least a year. There are a few ways around this. Get a DL branded AmEx. You then get two free bags (1 for being a Silver, one for having the AmEx). Otherwise quit your whining and go with option A or B. Both are pretty reasonable options.
It was announced in December and went into effect in March. That's just over six months for most of us:

Originally Posted by rwoman
This change was announced in December 2011 and went into effect March 1, 2012.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...edallions.html
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Tough crowd today.

What a gracious way of acknowledging someone's 4th and 5th posts on FT.
It's a tough crowd just about all of the time these days. I guess that pleases some folks with offices on Virginia Avenue.

David
Old May 28, 2013, 8:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by DiverDave
It was announced in December and went into effect in March. That's just over six months for most of us:
Originally Posted by rwoman
This change was announced in December 2011 and went into effect March 1, 2012
**Bold Emphasis mine**
Check your math. As this current year is 2013, 2011 was TWO YEARS AGO. March 2012 was one year and two (almost three) months ago to most of us. Try again Chief...

Last edited by FlyDeltaJets87; May 29, 2013 at 5:58 am
Old May 28, 2013, 8:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by txaggielady
My point is that as a MM I earned silver medallion for life. One of the perks when I earned silver medallion was 2 free checked luggages.
You no longer have "Lifetime Silver". It's now "Complimentary Annual Silver", which for now, is the same thing but implies DL can discontinue or revoke it at any time if they want. A devaluation for sure but wanted to clarify that.
Old May 28, 2013, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
You no longer have "Lifetime Silver". It's now "Complimentary Annual Silver", which for now, is the same thing but implies DL can discontinue or revoke it at any time if they want. A devaluation for sure but wanted to clarify that.
It depends.

As I described here if someone qualified for "lifetime" status before May 1, 2003, they allegedly retain "lifetime" status rather than annual complementary.

Of course, whether "lifetime" remains "lifetime" in perpetuity depends on the integrity of the occupants of Virginia Ave.

Second of course... all I have to go on to substantiate this is an e-mail from a DL customer service rep.
Old May 28, 2013, 9:12 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
You beat me to it!!!

Here's a very recent thread about it . . .

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...t=million+mile

My point is that as a MM I earned silver medallion for life. One of the perks when I earned silver medallion was 2 free checked luggages. Now this benefit is gone.
So, when you sue for your extra free bag that you were promised, you might as well sue for the lifetime status that you were promised.
Old May 28, 2013, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Tough crowd today.

Originally Posted by DiverDave

It's a tough crowd just about all of the time these days. I guess that pleases some folks with offices on Virginia Avenue.

David
All Virginia Ave has to do is keep the "enhancements" coming, and ensure a sufficient variety of areas of abuse.

Done properly, they can keep us all defending our parochial interests so that we keep fighting amongst ourselves rather than uniting against them.
Old May 28, 2013, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
With Delta going to the Supreme Court to defend Northwest taking away a frequent fliers miles for complaining too much, I figure eventually all loyalty programs will undergo scrutiny when the justices dig into how the airlines and hotels operate and book keep their programs
Hate to break this to you, but appellate courts deal with points of law, not the facts of a case. In this case the issue of interest appears to be one of jurisdiction.

Last edited by MikeMpls; May 28, 2013 at 11:54 pm
Old May 29, 2013, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
I don't always check luggage domestically, but when I do I get 1 free bag as an FO and 1 free bag for my Amex, or 3 free if I'm lucky enough to clear F in advance.

Stay Thirsty My friends
^
Old May 29, 2013, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by michiganjd
I agree with the OP insofar as million milers should have benefits beyond FO. In my opinion, it would make more sense to have benefits accorded thusly:
1 MM Gold
2 MM Platinum
4 MM Diamond

Are there really that many million milers out there that giving them Gold would detract that much from Gold? Of course, I understand the profit motive of giving incentives to reach 2 MM.
I disagree I would do
1 MM Silver
2 MM Gold
3 MM Platinum
5 MM Diamond
Old May 29, 2013, 11:17 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Tough crowd today.

Since she is a "fightin Texas Aggie" I rather enjoyed the responses as a Longhorn alum.
Old May 29, 2013, 11:20 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Tough crowd today.

+1 Everyone here needs to learn to support everyone - we all want the same thing and that's 180 degrees from what Delta has been doing to every level of traveler.

You say tough crowd, I'd call them something else, but I'll leave that up to the imagination.
Old May 29, 2013, 11:24 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
I disagree I would do
1 MM Silver
2 MM Gold
3 MM Platinum
5 MM Diamond
No no no the correct answer is Diamond without MQD restrictions for whatever MM level I achieve and lesser status for those below

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.