Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Luggage Downgrade for Delta Silver medallions (&MM)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luggage Downgrade for Delta Silver medallions (&MM)

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2013, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: delta
Thumbs down Luggage Downgrade for Delta Silver medallions (&MM)

I Discovered last month that I am now only allowed one piece of checked baggage (online check in) as a silver ( and MM) unless I buy my ticket on my husbands Skymiles account as a passenger.

We separate our ticket purchases so I do not "down grade him as a Gold" from his business class upgrades.

So I called Delta and they said the policy had indeed changed ( not sure if I was ever notified) and that the problem could easily be resolved by
a) calling having them link my record locator with my spouse
b) check in with him at the ticket counter and they will allow me the two pieces for free if we are travelling together
c) buy my ticket under his Skymiles as a passenger.

I then pointed out with the new rules for 2014 linking $$ spent to higher tier levels, I have to buy my own ticket to be Gold and they said that was the new program and "I had to live with it".
Old May 28, 2013, 11:29 am

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Another option would be to fly enough to earn the benefits you desire.
Old May 28, 2013, 11:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
Two other options:
1. Check one bag;
2. Pay
Old May 28, 2013, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: delta
I am a Million MIler with Delta Haven't I flown enough!

Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
Old May 28, 2013, 11:37 am

Oooooooh a DYKWIA is among us today...

Apparently you haven't flown enough lately, otherwise you wouldn't be FO. DL gave you reasonable options.
Old May 28, 2013, 11:47 am

You have flown enough to check 1 bag free of charge. You have not flown enough to check the 2nd bag free of charge. And given the fact, that you just became aware of FO's luggage allowance, you haven't flown and/or attempted to check in more than 1 bag in quite some time now.
Old May 28, 2013, 11:48 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by txaggielady
I Discovered last month that I am now only allowed one piece of checked baggage (online check in) as a silver ( and MM) unless I buy my ticket on my husbands Skymiles account as a passenger.

We separate our ticket purchases so I do not "down grade him as a Gold" from his business class upgrades.

So I called Delta and they said the policy had indeed changed ( not sure if I was ever notified) and that the problem could easily be resolved by
b) check in with him at the ticket counter and they will allow me the two pieces for free if we are travelling together
This is not new news. This has been the case for at least a year. There are a few ways around this. Get a DL branded AmEx. You then get two free bags (1 for being a Silver, one for having the AmEx). Otherwise quit your whining and go with option A or B. Both are pretty reasonable options.

I then pointed out with the new rules for 2014 linking $$ spent to higher tier levels, I have to buy my own ticket to be Gold and they said that was the new program and "I had to live with it".
WRONG. You do not have to buy your own ticket. MQDs will work just like MQMs - the $$$ will be credited to the traveler, not the purchaser of the ticket. Otherwise the program would have no chance of attracting business travelers who pay through corporate accounts.
Old May 28, 2013, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Tough crowd today.

What a gracious way of acknowledging someone's 4th and 5th posts on FT.
Old May 28, 2013, 11:52 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
As an FO I haven't checked a bag in quite some time; 1 checked bag is generally all I would need. However if you need two or more look into the branded Amex cards (you get one additional bag) or the Amex Platinum (you can get your bag fee refunded). Generally as an FO it makes sense to have one or more of those cards.
Old May 28, 2013, 11:53 am

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
I am a Million MIler with Delta Haven't I flown enough!
According to Delta. No.
Old May 28, 2013, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels

This change was announced in December 2011 and went into effect March 1, 2012.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...edallions.html
Old May 28, 2013, 11:57 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
There are a few ways around this. Get a DL branded AmEx. You then get two free bags (1 for being a Silver, one for having the AmEx).
I don't think baggage allowances "stack up" do they? You get one or the other (Amex card or status). Otherwise a diamond could get three bags domestically and then another bag for having a Delta Amex.
Old May 28, 2013, 12:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
In all fairness we have no idea how long the OP has been a million miler with Delta. Perhaps the OP did more flying earlier in life and now its only occasionally. Not that it matters but in my opinion those who earned million miler status and in turn got lifetime silver medallion status before the change should be able to check two bags. I'd say yes they have flown enough if they were previously enjoying this benefit under their million miler status only to have it taken away.
Old May 28, 2013, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
I don't think baggage allowances "stack up" do they? You get one or the other (Amex card or status). Otherwise a diamond could get three bags domestically and then another bag for having a Delta Amex.
With the AmEx for FO's they do. I always got two bags as an FO even after the baggage allowance for FO's changed down to 1 bag because I had a DL branded AmEx. I think it's the one exception to the "no stacking" policy.
Old May 28, 2013, 12:04 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
I'm a silver, not a diamond, but I get two free bags (1 for being a Silver, one for having the AmEx), as do those travelling with me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.