Wiki Posts
Search

No lifetime status on Delta?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2013, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP/2M+, SPG PL

I am lifetime Platinum on American, and am thinking about how aggressively to pursue a lifetime status on Delta since the routes I've been flying lately are better-covered by Delta.

But I've been staring at their million miler program rules for the last hour or so, and it seems they don't even have a lifetime status program. The wording is tricky to make you think it is lifetime status you are earning at the million mile marks, but actually it isn't lifetime status--it's a "complimentary annual" status that you earn. Is that as ridiculous as it sounds? I've just hit the million mile mark, which means I'm probably already uber-Diamond, and they say, Congratulations! You've just earned a complimentary annual Silver Medallion status--oh wait, you're already Diamond...would you like to downgrade to Silver for a year?

I don't get it. Someone please explain. All the news articles about million milers, etc. say that Delta has a great lifetime status program. But as far as i can tell, they don't even have one at all.
Old May 25, 2013, 12:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
It's effectively the same thing, it just means they can take it away starting any year (which is true for all programs).

You would still keep a higher status than your MM status, just like with AA (a 100K flyer who is 1MM is still an EXP).

UA actually has the best MM program. AA had the easiest until recently.
Old May 25, 2013, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by amolkold
It's effectively the same thing, it just means they can take it away starting any year (which is true for all programs).

You would still keep a higher status than your MM status, just like with AA (a 100K flyer who is 1MM is still an EXP).

UA actually has the best MM program. AA had the easiest until recently.
You're right it's effectively the same thing, but do AA and UA have a history of giving people something "lifetime" and then revoking it? I'm not aware of AA or UA doing so, but DL has: Flying Colonel/Orchid. And being a Flying Colonel really meant something and had nice perks.

Since DL IT is from the Stone Age, FC is actually still recognized in DL's systems, and once in a while FTers have posted that an agent commented on them being a FC. And this page from WAD lists FC as qualified to choose preferred seats at booking. You can tell it's a recent page because it includes the KLM logo and mentions DM so it is from after the merger and after the introduction of DM. Odd. Still, trying getting into a SC (not that you'd want to) solely on the strength of being a FC these days...
Old May 25, 2013, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP/2M+, SPG PL
Originally Posted by amolkold
Ok, I think I understand it now...the language sure is confusing: "Complimentary annual Medallion status is awarded annually and is valid from beginning to end of Medallion calendar." So every year they re-award it to you, never calling it "lifetime" status as the others do.
Old May 25, 2013, 3:18 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by nwcnwc
Ok, I think I understand it now...the language sure is confusing: "Complimentary annual Medallion status is awarded annually and is valid from beginning to end of Medallion calendar." So every year they re-award it to you, never calling it "lifetime" status as the others do.
Yes, but it used to be called "Lifetime" til a couple of years ago, so, the fact that they changed it makes one think that it could be eliminated much more easily than if it was still called "Lifetime" - - at some future point.
Old May 25, 2013, 5:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE

Not like it matters. The benefits of silver are pretty much the same as an Amex cardholder without the $95 annual fee.
Old May 25, 2013, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
DL's policies were changed effective May 1, 2003.

Anyone who qualified for lifetime status at a certain Medallion level prior to that will allegedly retain "lifetime" status at that level.

Anyone who qualified after 5/1/2003 will receive "annual complementary" status.

I say "allegedly retain 'lifetime'" status since DL management have previously revoked lifetime benefits when they found it convenient to do so... as in revoking the lifetime Crown Room membership of Flying Colonels. So you be the judge of how much credibility they have.

I have an e-mail from DL stating that, while I now receive annual complementary GM status for my 2 MM miles, I will always have my 1995-vintage FO status for my 1 MM miles should they decide to forgo the annual complementary program.

I would spend some time pondering the likelihood of this, but I need to finish my semi-annual correspondence with Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy... all of who engender far more confidence that the folks on Virginia Ave.
Old May 25, 2013, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by nwcnwc
I am lifetime Platinum on American, and am thinking about how aggressively to pursue a lifetime status on Delta since the routes I've been flying lately are better-covered by Delta.

But I've been staring at their million miler program rules for the last hour or so, and it seems they don't even have a lifetime status program. The wording is tricky to make you think it is lifetime status you are earning at the million mile marks, but actually it isn't lifetime status--it's a "complimentary annual" status that you earn. Is that as ridiculous as it sounds? I've just hit the million mile mark, which means I'm probably already uber-Diamond, and they say, Congratulations! You've just earned a complimentary annual Silver Medallion status--oh wait, you're already Diamond...would you like to downgrade to Silver for a year?

I don't get it. Someone please explain. All the news articles about million milers, etc. say that Delta has a great lifetime status program. But as far as i can tell, they don't even have one at all.
DL has one of the worst MM programs in the business. It's a total slap in the face to anyone who has shown sustained loyalty to DL. To add insult to injury, their lawyers have created this ridiculous legal language as if to say we are total morons and won't notice the fact that they're playing games with the language so they can yank the benefit when it happens to suit them.

I'm an insulted 2MM here who will never fly DL until they amend this egregious policy which was designed by hacks pretending to be business people.
Old May 25, 2013, 10:32 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
I don't understand why DL doesn't make the MM program a "carrot". It seems like making MM (and higher MM levels) attractive could be a positive for DL. Especially 2MM and higher. Keep people striving for benefits most will never attain. DL gets the continued revenue stream with very little outlay.
Old May 25, 2013, 10:33 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
I don't understand why DL doesn't make the MM program a "carrot". It seems like making MM (and higher MM levels) attractive could be a positive for DL. Especially 2MM and higher. Keep people striving for more attractive benefits most will never attain. DL gets the continued revenue stream with very little actual outlay.
Old May 26, 2013, 12:11 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by BamaGirl
I don't understand why DL doesn't make the MM program a "carrot". It seems like making MM (and higher MM levels) attractive could be a positive for DL. Especially 2MM and higher. Keep people striving for more attractive benefits most will never attain. DL gets the continued revenue stream with very little actual outlay.
Carrot? How about just neutral. Right now it's so insultingly bad that I would go out of my way not to fly DL.
Old May 26, 2013, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by BamaGirl
I don't understand why DL doesn't make the MM program a "carrot". It seems like making MM (and higher MM levels) attractive could be a positive for DL. Especially 2MM and higher. Keep people striving for benefits most will never attain. DL gets the continued revenue stream with very little outlay.
Because, for Virginia Ave, loyalty is only measured in terms of "what have you done for me lately?" Where lately does not extend beyond the last 12 months.
Old May 26, 2013, 8:02 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by 5khours
DL has one of the worst MM programs in the business. It's a total slap in the face to anyone who has shown sustained loyalty to DL. To add insult to injury, their lawyers have created this ridiculous legal language as if to say we are total morons and won't notice the fact that they're playing games with the language so they can yank the benefit when it happens to suit them.

I'm an insulted 2MM here who will never fly DL until they amend this egregious policy which was designed by hacks pretending to be business people.
If an airline wants to get out of these "lifetime" or "annual renewable" statuses, they can...and easily. While DL's is the most straightforward, AA's entire program can end with six months notice. Heck, maybe they'll end AAdvantage and adopt dividend miles? I don't recall if UA has similar language, but if not, they could easily introduce higher tiers than they currently offer and well dilute the statuses given. Perhaps Global Services (lifetime at 4mm, which is really very nice) becomes the starter level, and then there are new Universal Services and maybe Intergalactic Services for the 10mm mile guy?

Any view or hope to the contrary, regardless of language in the governing documents, is novice at best.

Really not worth being insulted over.
Old May 26, 2013, 8:13 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by NYBanker
Any view or hope to the contrary, regardless of language in the governing documents, is novice at best.

Really not worth being insulted over.
It seems funny to hear someone say this . . . .

In this forum, (I really don't follow other forums), we're used to hearing sooooo much cr@p - - people who are PO'd for the silliest things - especially, dropping Delta because they've downgraded the brand of free liquor in the SkyClubs . . . .

Old May 26, 2013, 9:03 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum ; Hilton Gold; Hertz 5*, Delta DM. Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by davetravels
It seems funny to hear someone say this . . . .

In this forum, (I really don't follow other forums), we're used to hearing sooooo much cr@p - - people who are PO'd for the silliest things - especially, dropping Delta because they've downgraded the brand of free liquor in the SkyClubs . . . .

So true! I feel like half the complaints have nothing to do with the actual flying...which if I understand air travel correctly, is the main point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.