Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AirFrance Mini Fares - DL Medallion perks?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2013, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM

Does anyone know if DL Medallions (ST E+) get free bag and any other perks on the AF "Mini" fares.

Also, do we earn miles? It's hard to see what class I'm booking into.

I'm looking at a domestic MRS-CDG.

It says very explicitly that checked bags are a separate option, but I wonder if E+ perks apply?

Anyone have any experience?

Thanks!

ROTR
Old May 8, 2013, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don't think there's a lounge in Marseille, so that part won't apply, and I assume if you originate there, you won't really need the CDG arrivals lounge.
Old May 8, 2013, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Right. Wasn't even thinking of lounges, but good points.

I've dug around and found on af.com:

Originally Posted by AF.com
Economy

Mini price: transporting checked baggage is a paid option.
Classic price, Flex Family, Flex Senior or Flex Youth: you may transport 1 baggage item weighing 23 kg / 50 lb maximum at no extra charge.
Flexible price: you may transport 2 baggage items weighing 23 kg / 50 lb maximum each at no extra charge.

Are you a Flying Blue Silver, Gold or Platinum member, or SkyTeam Elite/Elite Plus member? In addition to your baggage allowance, you can transport one extra baggage item of up to 23 kg / 50 lb at no extra charge.
Also, it books into E, which according to DL.com gets full miles and MQMs, so I think I'll go ahead with it and see.

I'll report back, of course, but if anyone has had any recent personal experiences, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks.
Old May 8, 2013, 9:00 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by remyontheroad
Right. Wasn't even thinking of lounges, but good points.

I've dug around and found on af.com:

Also, it books into E, which according to DL.com gets full miles and MQMs, so I think I'll go ahead with it and see.

I'll report back, of course, but if anyone has had any recent personal experiences, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks.
Watch out for the fine print. I had the impression that the minis were special fares that might be considered unpublished.
Old May 8, 2013, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Watch out for the fine print. I had the impression that the minis were special fares that might be considered unpublished.
Yeah.
Well.. no huge loss if I don't get the miles/MQMs, I guess...only 500...
And I wouldn't pay the $29 difference, for 500 miles.

Would just be annoying if they make me pay that 15E for my bag when I get there, and then I still don't get the miles.

At least we'll get a data point up here on the site.
Old May 8, 2013, 11:01 am

Programs: DM/3MM
You might want to try this thread on Mini in the Air France Frequence Plus forum. There might be some information that's actually useful, based on people who've actually flown Mini. And if you're question isn't directly addressed, then at a minimum, you're unlikely to get any better treatment than AF's own elites (and that information will be there):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-f...ini-class.html
Old May 8, 2013, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by remyontheroad
Yeah.
Well.. no huge loss if I don't get the miles/MQMs, I guess...only 500...
And I wouldn't pay the $29 difference, for 500 miles.

Would just be annoying if they make me pay that 15E for my bag when I get there, and then I still don't get the miles.

At least we'll get a data point up here on the site.
15 Euros + 500 RDM < $29 but it's close. A lot depends on how risk aveerse you are and how you value MQMs. Plus this is ignoring elite bonus RDMs. I think 15 Euros + 1000 RDM > $29, certainly if 500 MQM are added. This is without assessing the probability of being charged for the bag, which I don't think you should be.
Old May 8, 2013, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the link.

In fact, though, we are frequently treated better than FB members, getting 100% of miles for almost every fare flown, not to mention 100% bonus for gold vs 75% for FB gold.

Of course the two programs are pretty different in a lot of ways and VERY different about award redemptions, but I don't think it's a given that outside members get less benefits than "home" members.

ETA: According to the thread TrojanTraveler linked - it seems we do get the one-more-than-zero baggage allowance.
That's good news.

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
You might want to try this thread on Mini in the Air France Frequence Plus forum. There might be some information that's actually useful, based on people who've actually flown Mini. And if you're question isn't directly addressed, then at a minimum, you're unlikely to get any better treatment than AF's own elites (and that information will be there):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-f...ini-class.html

True, and up until recently, I would probably have followed that logic and paid the extra $29.

These days, though, I'm not feeling particularly interested in throwing extra money at the airlines in hopes of it working out in my favor or of having extra benefits or devalued scrip in my possession.

I'll keep my $29, and they can keep the (maybe) 1000 more skymiles and (maybe) 500 more mqms.

Of course, this is assuming I won't get charged for the bag - which I don't think I should either.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
15 Euros + 500 RDM < $29 but it's close. A lot depends on how risk aveerse you are and how you value MQMs. Plus this is ignoring elite bonus RDMs. I think 15 Euros + 1000 RDM > $29, certainly if 500 MQM are added. This is without assessing the probability of being charged for the bag, which I don't think you should be.

Last edited by remyontheroad; May 8, 2013 at 2:08 pm
Old Jun 4, 2013, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL/UA/AA/BA
Anyone have experience with Mini fares yet?
Old Jun 5, 2013, 9:11 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Yes, I have flown on Mini fares, and it's actually pretty great -- they are cheap, I got access to the AF lounge at ORY with Delta Gold status (note: it's a pretty terrible lounge, though marginally better than the rest of a terrible airport), priority security, and earned miles including the 500-mile minimums, MQMs and elite-bonus RDMs. I did not check a bag but it appeared that I could have gotten one free with status.

Also, people on the AF forum are complaining that mini gets you assigned a bad seat, but in my experience I was assigned a window seat near the front both ways (row 3 as I recall). You don't get to choose your seat however.

Last edited by bgriff; Jun 5, 2013 at 9:17 am
Old Aug 1, 2013, 8:31 pm

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Question Baggage fees for Elite Plus ?

Anyone flown Mini Fares with checked baggage since the last post ?
Wondering myself about OP's question and in particular the baggage charges.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 10:14 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Does anyone have any new info on this?

Specifically, how do STE+ perks mesh with Mini Fares?

Do I get my free bag and seat assignments?
Old Apr 28, 2014, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
Does anyone have any new info on this?

Specifically, how do STE+ perks mesh with Mini Fares?

Do I get my free bag and seat assignments?
Survey says yes to free bag, no to seat assignments, both in this thread and a related one in the AF forum.

Was there something that made you think things may have changed recently?
Old Apr 29, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by gooselee
Survey says yes to free bag, no to seat assignments, both in this thread and a related one in the AF forum.

Was there something that made you think things may have changed recently?
it seems like the delta E fare..
Old Apr 29, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by pbd456
it seems like the delta E fare..
I hope you didn't take my previous post as snarky. I really was wondering if there was some news I missed as I'm considering some Mini fares myself for a trip this summer.

But in the AF thread linked to earlier, folks have reported as recently as October that they were earning DL miles and receiving a STE+ baggage allowance (and restating that in December, though no explicit "I just flew a Mini fare" posts). Unfortunately I haven't seen any reports more recent than that.

I would expect that if anything has changed since then, we'd pretty quickly see people pitching a fit in the AF thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.