Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Sky Pesos" comparison sob story

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:32 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by UA Fan
For those who earn little, I always suggest placing all eggs in one basket, so that one can redeem quicker. Makes more sense than having 2K in one place, 5K in another, 10K in a third program.

For such people, would you recomend DL?
True, for those who earn very little. But it is so easy to earn a lot with credit card bonuses, manufactured spend, etc. Takes very little effort.

Generally I don't recommend DL for those who are not knowledgeable enough about doing their own homework. UA's award booking engine on their website is "award booking for dummies." So I often suggest that, even though with a little effort, those in DL hubs can often find better connections. But those on FT who b!tch all the time about DL are not usually those who earn little. In fact, one b!tcher on this thread is "DL GM 2MM". No excuse for that
Old Jul 15, 2013, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by troyintn
The only hope I see is tons of people dropping amex since they can not do any thing with all their miles.
The only reason to apply for a DL branded AMEX card is to get the sign up bonus and liquidate the points. When done, cancel the card before the annual fee is due and toss it aside.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
The only reason to apply for a DL branded AMEX card is to get the sign up bonus and liquidate the points. When done, cancel the card before the annual fee is due and toss it aside.
... and watch your credit score take hit.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
You're credit score won't "take a hit". Unless you are a basket case in the first place.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 1:35 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
False and misleading information.

I have cancelled numerous cards this way and my credit score has done nothing but go up over the past 5 years. (from ~740 to over 800 now)

The only way you are correct is if you have very few lines of credit and a reasonable amount of debt (cancelling one credit card significantly affects your debt/credit ratio). Very few people would be in this scenario. And if you are in this scenario, and really need your credit score at it's max possible, open up more CC (without annual fees). Problem solved.

Worst case is you lose 1-2 points and have an easy way to resolve the issue (open up additional credit lines). Most likely case is zero effect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.