Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club beverage changes confirmed by DL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Club beverage changes confirmed by DL

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2013, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by rylan
So as part of my due diligence with the SC beverage changes, I decided to sacrifice my liver for the good of the group and do a comparison based on my time in BOS today. The club was really packed due to multiple cancellations to JFK due to WX, but I managed to get a seat near the bar and say hi to one of my favorite agents.

Old | New | Difference | Comments

Skyy Vodka | Gordons Vodka | - | Increased alcohol flavor and aftertaste, especially vodka+soda. Ok as Vodka+Fresca. Do NOT drink on the rocks

Tanq Gin | Gordons Gin | ---- | Not a big fan of gin to start with, but I can drink a TnT. GnT is just plain nasty

Barcardi Rum | Myers Rum| ++ | I like rum. I drink a lot of rum. I have good rum at home. Barcardi is overrated/overpriced and has a bite and alcohol aftertaste. Myers is actually smoother and more pleasant. Inadvertent improvement

Dewars | Scoresby | ---------- | Dewars isn't good, but OMG I couldn't drink the scorebsy. Thats nasty. I weep for those what could get woodford previously.

Sam Adams | Bud/Miller Lite | --- | This is Boston, Sam on tap is a staple. Bud or Miller Lite are party beers if you're full or getting hammered. Blech

I hope you enjoyed the brief rundown as much as I did (or did not).

It has been reported that Skid Row winos find Scoresby to be a quite acceptable scotch.

Old May 23, 2013, 5:36 pm

Programs: The Dastardly Quintet.
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Just coming back from nearly two weeks in Kazakhstan, so I am catching up on the post-5/15 experiences.

What made this exercise even more poignant was that I was in the KLM club in AMS, enjoying good food, and fine beverages, and experiencing what what an airline club should look like.

Now I am in the B-25 Walmart Club in ATL, wondering why my $300-plus membership fee and $9000 business class ticket requires me to pay $3 for the beer that I could have for free two weeks ago.

A question for the Virginia Ave folks... what is your next revenue enhancement?

For example, when are you going to start pimping out your sisters, mothers, and/or daughters?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbsMZecRgbI
Old May 23, 2013, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by NapaPatTours
I will check this out when I get home... right now my internet download speed in B-25 is 0.09 Mbps.

This would drive me to drink, but there is nothing worth drinking.

The beer is cheep rice-derived industrial swill.

The red wine is unpalatable.

I am considering sneaking some gin out, since I have some paint brushes to clean.

We used to joke about folks sneaking spirits out of the clubs... are we heading to a situation where folks have to sneak drinkable spirits into the clubs?
Old May 23, 2013, 5:58 pm

This would drive me to drink, but there is nothing worth drinking.
In ALT, try One Flew South. No membership fee, and quite a good selection... Too bad the membership fee is already a sunk cost.
Old May 23, 2013, 6:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by HongKonger
$10 says this poster actually works for DL.
I'll take some of that action. Let us lay down the ground rules. You have two weeks to provide evidence the poster works for DL. Do so and I will pay you $100 (and I mean it). If you can't, all you have to do is start a thread apologizing for making baseless accusations and questioning the integrity of other posters. Deal?
Old May 23, 2013, 6:01 pm

We used to joke about folks sneaking spirits out of the clubs... are we heading to a situation where folks have to sneak drinkable spirits into the clubs?
Perhaps a cooperative cross-over between DL SC, and the Duty Free is in order. DL could skim a percentage of the booze sold, and turn a blind eye to those bringing in a 1 liter of Remy Martin.

Last edited by NapaPatTours; May 23, 2013 at 6:06 pm
Old May 23, 2013, 6:02 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Now I am in the B-25 Walmart Club in ATL, wondering why my $300-plus membership fee and $9000 business class ticket requires me to pay $3 for the beer that I could have for free two weeks ago.

A question for the Virginia Ave folks... what is your next revenue enhancement
I was told by another customer in the MIA SC last week, that he heard from a "good source" that by the end of the year Delta is seriously considering limiting the number of free cocktails to two per visit. If anyone can stand to drink that stuff they call alcohol that is gratis, it will mean paying for additional drinks. I wonder how much Delta will sell the swill for if that rumor is true for the third drink or if they will be required to order off the luxury bar.

And I am sure many people are being shamed into paying for drinks they are ordering that were once free unaware of the enhancement and too embarrassed to decline them. My wife ordered a double Bailey's on the rocks last week unaware of the change (and she said they were measured and didn't even cover the ice) and about had a coronary when she was told it was $14 and then told of the change. She wouldn't back down and refused to pay and ordered a Diet Coke. I am sure many others just would have coughed up the $14 even though they wouldn't have ordered it otherwise.

Mrs. Reds and I are flying to Europe in July on paid business class tickets that are $5,000 each (discounted S fare class) so I am sure a full J ticket is a lot more. Having those expensive of tickets, they should comp drinks at the paid bar for paid business class flyers, or at least comp liquors that were previously free. She enjoys a couple Bailey's before flying on a long trip, but for $28 to $42 for those two or free drinks, she will just wait until we are in the air.
Old May 23, 2013, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
I was told by another customer in the MIA SC last week, that he heard from a "good source" that by the end of the year Delta is seriously considering limiting the number of free cocktails to two per visit. If anyone can stand to drink that stuff they call alcohol that is gratis, it will mean paying for additional drinks. I wonder how much Delta will sell the swill for if that rumor is true for the third drink or if they will be required to order off the luxury bar.
Since no self-respecting, right-minded person would drink 1 pour of the free swill, this seems to be a moot point.
Old May 23, 2013, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
I was told by another customer in the MIA SC last week, that he heard from a "good source" that by the end of the year Delta is seriously considering limiting the number of free cocktails to two per visit.
At the SJC club (not a DL SkyClub) they limit visitors to 3 free drinks per hour. I think that's reasonable. They serve quality stuff with good pours.

2 per visit is just plain silly. What if you have a several hour layover or delay? And how will they even know? And I'm sure it will go over really well to the poor passenger who paid for an F ticket. Then again, there won't be many of those people left soon.

Last edited by bigx0; May 23, 2013 at 6:31 pm
Old May 23, 2013, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by bigx0
At the SJC club (not a DL SkyClub) they limit visitors to 3 free drinks per hour. I think that's reasonable. They serve quality stuff with good pours.

2 per visit is just plain silly. What if you have a several hour layover or delay? And how will they even know? And I'm sure it will go over really well to the poor passenger who paid for an F ticket. Then again, there won't be many of those left people left soon.
Three drinks per hour is very reasonable. Two drinks per visit is absurd, especially with the stuff Delta is giving away now. The Alaska BR at LAX limits you to two drinks but not sure if it's per visit or per hour. Not sure how they enforce it if the club is busy. At least the BR bartenders don't accept tips.

While I am not going to stiff a bartender over the decline in alcohol since I know it isn't their fault, I wonder if people will tip less at full service bars. In my case if I am at a full service SC I would tip for alcohol and not coke zero, and with Skyy and Bailey's now gone I will probably switch to drinking soda more.
Old May 23, 2013, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by NapaPatTours
Perhaps a cooperative cross-over between DL SC, and the Duty Free is in order. DL could skim a percentage of the booze sold, and turn a blind eye to those bringing in a 1 liter of Remy Martin.
I thought about buying from Duty free for my next international flight, but don't they deliver the alcohol to your gate if you buy it at duty free????? If they allow you to take it with you, I would be better off buying a bottle at Duty free and using the SC's mixers.

I am honestly thinking of filling up empty minis I have at home with quality vodka or Baileys and bringing it in with me and using their mixers. I was going to use 100,000 skybonus points to renew my membership next year but not now. I would be better off just using the points to use on the HOOU coupons and just using them onboard for minis when I am not upgraded and putting them in my backpack and just bringing them into the skyclub on future visits.
Old May 23, 2013, 7:07 pm

Programs: DL DM
- Evidently Premium drinks is the only thing that is beneficial about SkyClub access based on the uproar. What about a comfortable place to sit, comfortable place to work, avoidance of loud announcements and screaming children, access to an outlet to charge a device, snacks, high level of service, etc?

Which SkyClub in the system offers a consistently comfortable place to sit, a comfortable place to work, no announcements, no screaming children, access to an outlet to charge consistently? I don't know of this SkyClub. They have taken an exclusive place, cheapened it, let in the masses, and advertise "upscale perks". what the hell does that even mean?
Old May 23, 2013, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bubbashow
They have taken an exclusive place, cheapened it, let in the masses, and advertise "upscale perks". what the hell does that even mean?
I would also like to know what the perks are. The SC's sure aren't like the international lounges.

And you are right about how much it has been cheapened. I wouldn't have an issue at all with the $50 increase if they would have a better selection and only admit SC Members and people on paid J international tickets. I'd be willing to even pay $500 a year if the SC's were like the LHR ST lounge.
Old May 23, 2013, 7:34 pm

Programs: DL DM
The elitist attitude is what really bothers me about the entire conversation.

IT IS A MEMBERSHIP CLUB AT AN AIRPORT - BY DEFINITION, IT SHOULD BE ELITE AND NOT AVAILABLE TO THE MASSES. THE IDEA ISN'T TO CHEAPEN THE EXPERIENCE, IT IS TO PROVIDE A BETTER EXPERIENCE. I AM ONE OF DL'S BIGGEST FANS....THEY HAVE DROPPED THE BALL ON THIS ONE.

RAISE THE PRICE TO $1000 AND MAKE IT NICE.
Old May 23, 2013, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I would also like to know what the perks are. The SC's sure aren't like the international lounges.

And you are right about how much it has been cheapened. I wouldn't have an issue at all with the $50 increase if they would have a better selection and only admit SC Members and people on paid J international tickets. I'd be willing to even pay $500 a year if the SC's were like the LHR ST lounge.
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.