Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club beverage changes confirmed by DL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Club beverage changes confirmed by DL

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2013, 2:05 pm

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
As a SC member, DL just sent me an 'offer' to buy JW blue for only $199 instead of $265... funny. Just a quick search online finds the same one for $150 or less with delivery. If you can't be classic, at least be honest. I know the 'revenue maximization' oracle is working, but those little things would cost you ALOT of goodwill and trust.

Fair disclosure- Don't drink JW Blue. Have one at home if you want to buy it, DL. You can have it for $179, resell it and make 20.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by DLroads
As a SC member, DL just sent me an 'offer' to buy JW blue for only $199 instead of $265... funny. Just a quick search online finds the same one for $150 or less with delivery. If you can't be classic, at least be honest. I know the 'revenue maximization' oracle is working, but those little things would cost you ALOT of goodwill and trust.

Fair disclosure- Don't drink JW Blue. Have one at home if you want to buy it, DL. You can have it for $179, resell it and make 20.
$169.99 at my local wine mega-store. $120 at Costco.

You have to wonder where the $265 fiction came from. Did they send one of their NYC staff searching for the highest price in Manhattan?

P. T. Barnum's great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandchild must work on Virginia Ave.

They are probably targeting the types of folks who would pay $14 for a Bailey's in a Sky Club.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
$169.99 at my local wine mega-store. $120 at Costco.

You have to wonder where the $265 fiction came from. Did they send one of their NYC staff searching for the highest price in Manhattan?

P. T. Barnum's great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandchild must work on Virginia Ave.

They are probably targeting the types of folks who would pay $14 for a Bailey's in a Sky Club.
But Delta's offer includes engraving!!!
Old Jun 13, 2013, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
By the way, has anyone been to HNL Skyclub recently? That used to have a nice selection of complimentary booze -bacardi etc.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MS02113
But Delta's offer includes engraving!!!
Really?

But, who wants a liquor bottle with Fool inscribed on the front?
Old Jun 13, 2013, 4:40 pm

Programs: The Dastardly Quintet.
...They are probably targeting the types of folks who would pay $14 for a Bailey's in a Sky Club.
Now that's just plain damn funny!
Old Jun 14, 2013, 1:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jsmith50
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
How long before AS wises up and realizes they are picking up increasing numbers of refugees from the parsimonious Sky Clubs?

This cannot bode well for continued access to the Boardrooms.
I wouldn't be surprised if one of the next "enhancements" will be to deny us access to the AS boardrooms unless we are on AS metal. I am sure one of the delta reps will say it was due to consumer feedback if that happens.

I am honestly surprised at how quiet the BR is at LAX compared to the skyclub whenever I use it. I think it's well worth the short walk
My flight this AM was out of T6 so I made my first visit to the (new) BR -- that is what a club should be! Relaxing color scheme, comfortable chairs, self serve soft drinks, and a decent beer on tap.
Clearly, Virginia Ave left out the Boardrooms when they were benchmarking what was available in the airports.

Inconvenient data point? Well, that is what erasers are for.
There are so few Boardrooms around that DL management probably discounts the fact that they exist for sake of comparison!
Agree with the devaluation there is little reason to visit the DL SC's (except for a shower). AS has superior Beer & Wine, edible food during the day, and lots of power outlets The BR's do represent a limited network, but a superior product for the most part.

Originally Posted by KOTAR1988
The AS BR in LAX charged me $6.00 for Jack Daniels and Coke. When I mentioned Jack Daniels was FREE in the SC....I was told to go to the SC.....so I did... BTW, that was June 1st LAX--->ATL
Yes, this is one limitation. AS also limits you to 3 'house' drinks per visit. However all the drinks are $6 more, including IIRC Grey Goose ^. And they can mix up some fun things, such as a Long Beach

Originally Posted by KOTAR1988
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
DL pays AS for each visit, so as long as AS is happy with the price they get, going there is a good thing.
Is this how they are paid? I was always curious to these agreements.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by beckoa
Yes, this is one limitation. AS also limits you to 3 'house' drinks per visit. However all the drinks are $6 more, including IIRC Grey Goose ^. And they can mix up some fun things, such as a Long Beach

Is GG considered a house drink at the BR? Even if Delta charged $6 for a drink with a decent pour of GG I could live with that, but come on $7 for a shot of bailey's or skyy???

I figured Delta had some kind of agreement with Alaska where SC members could be admited free at the BR and vice versa. I'm glad to know Delta gets charged at the BR I'm going to make it a point to always arrive early on LAX flights to visit the BR or visit the BR after landing at LAX if they are still open after knowing this I'll get some satisfaction out of this downgrade.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beckoa
Agree with the devaluation there is little reason to visit the DL SC's (except for a shower). AS has superior Beer & Wine, edible food during the day, and lots of power outlets The BR's do represent a limited network, but a superior product for the most part.

I want to nominate this post for the FT Award for Most Creative Use of Nested Quotes.

Old Jun 14, 2013, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How long before AS wises up and realizes they are picking up increasing numbers of refugees from the parsimonious Sky Clubs?

This cannot bode well for continued access to the Boardrooms.
I wouldn't be surprised if one of the next "enhancements" will be to deny us access to the AS boardrooms unless we are on AS metal. I am sure one of the delta reps will say it was due to consumer feedback if that happens.

I am honestly surprised at how quiet the BR is at LAX compared to the skyclub whenever I use it. I think it's well worth the short walk
There are so few Boardrooms around that DL management probably discounts the fact that they exist for sake of comparison!
But, how do you expect AS management will react if/when AS flyers start feeding back what a crappy experience they are receiving in the Sky Clubs?

Or Virginia Ave may pull the plug on the reciprocal agreement. If they are paying a per visit fee for us to access the Boardrooms, and if they see the cost of that skyrocketing as we seek refuge in the Boardrooms, they might "enhance" our benefits by unilaterally cancelling the agreement (as you might have observed, they are really good at "unilateral.")

I doubt that they are going to see an uptick of offsetting fees from AS flyers clamoring for the opportunity to sample the wares in the Sky Clubs.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
By the way, has anyone been to HNL Skyclub recently? That used to have a nice selection of complimentary booze -bacardi etc.
Yes I have and yes they used to have a nice selection. Pour yourself whichever flavored turpentine you like now.

They still have the ?guava? juice though.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by mother-
Yes I have and yes they used to have a nice selection. Pour yourself whichever flavored turpentine you like now.

They still have the ?guava? juice though.
I demand it gone. It's not keeping consistant with the SkyClub experience. I require that each club I visit have no local color or flavor.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For sake of completeness...

My letter, dated May 19.

To Whom It May Concern,

I have been an American Express card holder for more than 20 years, including the Delta Airlines American Express Reserve Card for the past several years. I have been able to justify the high annual fee because of the perks of the card including medallion qualification miles and membership in Delta's Sky Club. Unfortunately, over the past couple years the quality of the Sky Club product has declined significantly. Overcrowding has resulted in inability to find a seat in most lounge locations; the free wireless internet which Delta advertises will allow you to, "Connect with friends, check email, watch the big game, or get the latest news" is barely fast enough to allow simple internet tasks much less streaming video; and recently the change in liquor brands seems to violate Delta's advertising statement that the Sky Clubs serve, "complimentary soft drinks, beer, wine and premium liquors to help you unwind." by substituting the previously available premium brands with cheap alternatives. Because I gain access to the Sky Club as a result of my Delta Sky Miles Diamond Medallion status and my American Express Reserve Card, the $450 annual fee is no longer providing solid return on my investment. As such, I would like to request that American Express assess these changes in the value of the perks provided in collaboration with Delta Airlines. If no suitable resolution can be attained, I would like to request my American Express Reserve Card account closed and a pro-rated refund of my annual fee.

Thank you for your time.

JSmith50

Their response, dated May 24, 2013...

Dear Mr. JSmith50,

We greatly value your loyalty as an American Express cardholder and wish to retain you as one of our highly valued customers. Through our partnership with Delta Airlines we are proud to offer access to the Delta Sky Club at its many locations throughout the world as one of the valuable benefits of the Delta Reserve Credit Card. We have recently received a number of similar comments from other Delta Airlines American Express cardholders. Unfortunately, at this time, American Express is unable to fulfill your request to investigate any perceived decline in the value of the Delta Sky Club. Per the terms and conditions of the Delta Reserve Credit Card, you are entitled to "complimentary access for you and 2 guests" but no guarantee is offered by American Express with regard to food or drink selections, internet availability or "overcrowding." We recommend that you voice these complaints directly to Delta Airlines customer service.

If you would like to close your Delta Reserve Credit Card account, please call XXX XXX XXXX, extension XXXX.

Thank you again for being a highly valued American Express cardholder.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXXXX
At least you received a response from AMEX.

I submitted a comment over 2 weeks ago, received a prompt acknowledgement and a promise of a response, and I am still waiting.

Try e-mailing an executive. There are e-mail addresses that can be found via Google.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

:-::-: Today is National Bourbon Day. :-::-:

Another good day not to be in a Sky Club.

This evening I'll have to decide between a Woodford Reserve or a Buffalo Trace. Or, perhaps it's time to go get a good bottle of a single barrel potable.

Decisions, decisions...

Cheers to all of you folks stuck in a DL bus station drinking The Abolitionist's Revenge (aka known as Miller Lite).
Old Jun 14, 2013, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
:-::-: Today is National Bourbon Day. :-::-:

Another good day not to be in a Sky Club.

This evening I'll have to decide between a Woodford Reserve or a Buffalo Trace. Or, perhaps it's time to go get a good bottle of a single barrel potable.

Decisions, decisions...

Cheers to all of you folks stuck in a DL bus station drinking The Abolitionist's Revenge (aka known as Miller Lite).
Or Budweiser (which arguably is even worse.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.