Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

When was your first DL (or predecessor) Flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When was your first DL (or predecessor) Flight?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2013, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
... I don't know when PanAmerican made the logo change to PanAm. When I was first flying it was still PAA.
I looked up photos of the first PA 707 revenue flight (1958) and the jet says "Pan American"; the 747 (1970) says "Pan Am" ... they both have the light blue globe logo, rather than the winged dark blue version that adorned the prop aircraft (Constellation, DC6/DC7, Stratocruiser)
Old Apr 24, 2013, 2:55 pm

The logo was changed in late 1972.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by us2
Thought this might be fun and nostalgic. Predecessor carriers (i.e. NW, RC count).

Mine: A Convair 440 from IND to TOL October 1968. IIRC, it was flight 468 with a stop at FWA on 10/28/68.
NOTE: Sorry - I didnt realize this was Delta specific - Sorry!

1980 UA DC-10? (third engine in the tail I think) ord to tpa. I remember hot towels in coach just before landing but I don't remember the food. The return flight was the most memorable however. We were watching USA vs USSR in the Olympics. They had the tv on (did they have satellite tv in 1980 for planes? Now I am curious how we saw this?) Anyway, the pilot had to turn it off for departure and it was getting close to the end. We popped up got the tv on with two minutes to spare to see the winning goal! Everyone when crazy! Fun flight home!

Last edited by Bradhattan; Apr 24, 2013 at 3:36 pm Reason: Didn't realize Delta specific
Old Apr 24, 2013, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Christmas 1970 DTW-TPA. Family trip to Florida to visit my grandparents. First time on Delta and my first time on an airplane!
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by Bradhattan
Originally Posted by us2
Thought this might be fun and nostalgic. Predecessor carriers (i.e. NW, RC count).

Mine: A Convair 440 from IND to TOL October 1968. IIRC, it was flight 468 with a stop at FWA on 10/28/68.
NOTE: Sorry - I didnt realize this was Delta specific - Sorry!

1980 UA DC-10? (third engine in the tail I think) ord to tpa. I remember hot towels in coach just before landing but I don't remember the food. The return flight was the most memorable however. We were watching USA vs USSR in the Olympics. They had the tv on (did they have satellite tv in 1980 for planes? Now I am curious how we saw this?) Anyway, the pilot had to turn it off for departure and it was getting close to the end. We popped up got the tv on with two minutes to spare to see the winning goal! Everyone when crazy! Fun flight home!
SUPER cool!
Old Apr 25, 2013, 5:25 am

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
Flying student standby in 1970 as a high schooler, you went from airline to airline, hopping from city to city to get where you wanted to go. That day I wanted to go from Albuquerque to Spokane. It ended up Continental to Denver, United to Salt Lake...and then my first contacts with two carriers in what is now Delta...

Hughes AirWest on a DC-9 which flew SLC-Great Falls-Kalispell-Spokane.

When I flew home it was a Hughes AirWest propeller plane from Ephrata, WA to Seattle and Western Airlines Boeing 720 SEA-LAX. All Skyteam!

The Western student standby desk at LAX (separate counter with its own sign) recommended I go to TWA to standby for the next flight. I walked across the huge parking lot at LAX and got on a Boeing 707 LAX-TUS-ABQ.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 6:25 am

Programs: Caesars-Diamond Hilton-Diamond IHG-Plat MGM-Gold Wyndham-Diamond Hertz-PresCircle National-Exec
February, 1967 ....

SFO (San Francisco, CA) - SBN (South Bend, IN) ....

19 years old .... flew home for 10 day leave while in the Army ....

Can't remember the plane type ....

Was required (by Army) to fly in uniform .... can remember the friendly/fabulous treatment received from airline personnel .... had a 3 hour wait before my flight and was given free access to lounge in SFO .... also free drinks on the plane .... such special treatment was a welcome highlight as, in those days, most of the general population (especially those of my generation) were not too friendly to anyone in uniform ....

Not in favor of the war but was drafted and choose to answer my county's call .... no big patriotic decision .... simply too afraid not to ....

Really learned a lot about life during those 2 years (Dec 1966 - Dec 1968) and it was truly amazing how smart my Dad became while I was gone ....

Or was it because so much of what he had been trying to teach me about life now made sense?

Still flying Delta as my first choice ....
Old Apr 25, 2013, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Back in 1972, I think.....

DL Convair 880 from IAH to ATL connecting to a DL DC-8 from ATL to DTW via a stop at DAY.

Followed by literally hundreds of flights on Delta over the years on the following aircraft:

B727-200
B737-200
B737-300
B757-200
B767-200 (including the "Spirit of Delta")
B767-300
DC-9-30
L1011
L1011-500
MD-11
MD-88

Also one flight on Southern (Martin 4-0-4) back in 1965. Later on, several flights on Hughes Airwest (DC-9-30) and then twice on Western (B727-200) as well as a whole bunch of flights on Northwest, including A320, B727-200, B757-200, B757-300, DC-9-30, DC-9-50 and DC-10-40.

Plus lots and lots and lots of flights on DL Connection as well, mainly on SkyWest-operated Metro III, EMB-120 Brasilia and CRJ equipment in the western U.S.

In addition, was invited by Delta to serve on their Business Travel Advisory Council in Los Angeles in 1994. I served a one year term on the DL BTAC (with time off for good behavior ), attending quarterly meetings in the old WA office building at LAX......and actor/comedian George Wallace was also a council member at this time.

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 25, 2013 at 8:36 am Reason: More airlines......
Old Apr 25, 2013, 9:11 am

Programs: Delta 1MM / DM, Avis First, Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by jrl22
NA was acquired by PA, and much of PA was later acquired by DL, so to my mind it certainly counts (you will notice I included my first NA flight in Dec 72)
Well, the DL museum doesn't recognize NA as a predecessor. That is actually a pretty cool history in visual form.

My first DL flight was october, 1970, a DC-8, IAH to ATL and on to CHS to look at colleges. Wound up going to school in CHS, so numerous memories after that -- landing in ATL at night in the upper deck of a 747, ORD-ATL. Riding the shuttle bus out to the parked DC-9 for ATL-CHS, and seeing the turning L-100 freighters being loaded with pallets of cargo. Seeing the nervous Marine recruits waiting in the terminal in ATL to board the flight to CHS - clutching their manila envelopes and not much else. One last drink before the party started -- which started in the terminal in CHS with an awaiting DI. Getting your seat assignment at the gate as they pulled round tabbed stickers off a master sheet showing open seats. The stickers went on your boarding pass and off you went.

Last edited by scm53; Apr 25, 2013 at 9:39 am
Old Apr 25, 2013, 5:34 pm

First DL Flight

June 1974 from LGA to MIA on a DC 9-30. Not sure whether it was DL or ex NE metal.

It was a Saturday afternoon, with no more than 20 pax, most in F. The meal was a steak dinner that was almost identical, to what DL would serve in the early '80's in its FC Royal Service, except that it all came at the same time, on one tray and there was no sundae, only a piece of pecan pie IRRC.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 7:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Justin026
Flying student standby in 1970 as a high schooler, you went from airline to airline, hopping from city to city to get where you wanted to go. That day I wanted to go from Albuquerque to Spokane. It ended up Continental to Denver, United to Salt Lake...and then my first contacts with two carriers in what is now Delta...

Hughes AirWest on a DC-9 which flew SLC-Great Falls-Kalispell-Spokane.

When I flew home it was a Hughes AirWest propeller plane from Ephrata, WA to Seattle and Western Airlines Boeing 720 SEA-LAX. All Skyteam!

The Western student standby desk at LAX (separate counter with its own sign) recommended I go to TWA to standby for the next flight. I walked across the huge parking lot at LAX and got on a Boeing 707 LAX-TUS-ABQ.
Airline hopping on student standby... THOSE must have been the days! How much did it cost, if anything?

Airline travel, among many other things, has become much less fun and romantic since those days.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 7:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jgxtrav1
February, 1967 ....

SFO (San Francisco, CA) - SBN (South Bend, IN) ....

19 years old .... flew home for 10 day leave while in the Army ....

Can't remember the plane type ....

Was required (by Army) to fly in uniform .... can remember the friendly/fabulous treatment received from airline personnel .... had a 3 hour wait before my flight and was given free access to lounge in SFO .... also free drinks on the plane .... such special treatment was a welcome highlight as, in those days, most of the general population (especially those of my generation) were not too friendly to anyone in uniform ....

Not in favor of the war but was drafted and choose to answer my county's call .... no big patriotic decision .... simply too afraid not to ....

Really learned a lot about life during those 2 years (Dec 1966 - Dec 1968) and it was truly amazing how smart my Dad became while I was gone ....

Or was it because so much of what he had been trying to teach me about life now made sense?

Still flying Delta as my first choice ....
Thanks for your service.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 7:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jlemon
Back in 1972, I think.....

DL Convair 880 from IAH to ATL connecting to a DL DC-8 from ATL to DTW via a stop at DAY.

Followed by literally hundreds of flights on Delta over the years on the following aircraft:

B727-200
B737-200
B737-300
B757-200
B767-200 (including the "Spirit of Delta")
B767-300
DC-9-30
L1011
L1011-500
MD-11
MD-88

Also one flight on Southern (Martin 4-0-4) back in 1965. Later on, several flights on Hughes Airwest (DC-9-30) and then twice on Western (B727-200) as well as a whole bunch of flights on Northwest, including A320, B727-200, B757-200, B757-300, DC-9-30, DC-9-50 and DC-10-40.

Plus lots and lots and lots of flights on DL Connection as well, mainly on SkyWest-operated Metro III, EMB-120 Brasilia and CRJ equipment in the western U.S.

In addition, was invited by Delta to serve on their Business Travel Advisory Council in Los Angeles in 1994. I served a one year term on the DL BTAC (with time off for good behavior ), attending quarterly meetings in the old WA office building at LAX......and actor/comedian George Wallace was also a council member at this time.
Your mama!
Old Apr 25, 2013, 7:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by scm53
Originally Posted by jrl22
NA was acquired by PA, and much of PA was later acquired by DL, so to my mind it certainly counts (you will notice I included my first NA flight in Dec 72)
Well, the DL museum doesn't recognize NA as a predecessor. That is actually a pretty cool history in visual form.

My first DL flight was october, 1970, a DC-8, IAH to ATL and on to CHS to look at colleges. Wound up going to school in CHS, so numerous memories after that -- landing in ATL at night in the upper deck of a 747, ORD-ATL. Riding the shuttle bus out to the parked DC-9 for ATL-CHS, and seeing the turning L-100 freighters being loaded with pallets of cargo. Seeing the nervous Marine recruits waiting in the terminal in ATL to board the flight to CHS - clutching their manila envelopes and not much else. One last drink before the party started -- which started in the terminal in CHS with an awaiting DI. Getting your seat assignment at the gate as they pulled round tabbed stickers off a master sheet showing open seats. The stickers went on your boarding pass and off you went.
The stickers are still used to assign seats on a lot of ferries running in the south China sea e.g. HKG-Macau.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 8:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SCEflyer
June 1974 from LGA to MIA on a DC 9-30. Not sure whether it was DL or ex NE metal.

It was a Saturday afternoon, with no more than 20 pax, most in F. The meal was a steak dinner that was almost identical, to what DL would serve in the early '80's in its FC Royal Service, except that it all came at the same time, on one tray and there was no sundae, only a piece of pecan pie IRRC.
Still worlds better than today!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.