Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Same-day confirmed and same-day standby options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: audidudi
This wiki covers basic info and common FAQs. For full terms and conditions, see the relevant DL web page: Same Day Travel Changes

Same-Day Confirmed

To request an SDC, you can
  • Use the Same Day Change function on the Today screen in the Delta app (recommended, but with some peculiarities -- may not show all routings, and if changing to an earlier or later flight will only show the option within 24 hours of the target flight)
  • Click the "Change" button during OLCI (after you click "Check in" on the first screen)
  • Call a phone agent (recommended if app does not work)
  • Use Delta's chat functions via the app (hit or miss)

Online SDC does not seem to present all the options available to you, especially when you are SDCing a GAP fare and there is no inventory in your fare bucket. Calling in is best. People have had success with Twitter but that may depend on how "involved" the SDC is.

You can SDC starting 24 hours before your initial departure. You can SDC to any flight leaving the same calendar day. There is a $75 fee for SDC ($50 for tickets issued before March 15th, 2017), waived for GM and higher. This fee, and the waiver, applies for each person, although for GM+ traveling with companion the companion fee is sometimes waived.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (main cabin)?

A. Yes (whether revenue or award ticket). Note there is sometimes inventory in a fare bucket even though it may not be offered for sale on the web site. SDC on V or N (low award) fare is not unheard of.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (Comfort+)?

If booked into W (not WU) there only needs to be an available seat in Comfort+ regardless of fare class.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (First/Business/DeltaOne)?

Q. What about SDC with RUC/GUC/mileage upgrades (that have already cleared)?

As of November 2017:

* If your original ticket is a Delta OneTM ticket, you may move to any other flight with a premium cabin seat available
* If your original ticket is a First Class ticket, you may move only to other flights with a First Class seat available; you may not move to a flight with a Delta One experience, even if seats are available.
It is unclear how this affects SDC if you are confirmed in RY/OY.

Q. I have a premium cabin fare, can I SDC to an itinerary with a single-cabin aircraft?

Written reply received from Delta, Dec. 2015:

f the aircraft does not support a First/Business/Delta One cabin you are still eligible to change to the flight as long we are still selling seats on the flight.

Q. What about Medallion complimentary upgrades?

A. These do *not* count as premium cabin fares even if you already cleared. The main cabin rules for SDC regarding fare inventory will apply, and if it goes through you will SDC into a main cabin seat (but you are eligible to be upgraded again -- make sure you appear on the upgrade list on your new itinerary)

Q. Can I change the routing/connections?

A. You cannot SDC from a connecting itinerary to a non-stop itinerary. In all other cases the answer is unclear. The SDC rules do not explicitly prohibit routing changes. However ticket fare rules usually contain a clause that additions/changes to connections must be permitted by the fare rules. These are apparently in conflict, and practically speaking it depends on the agent/supervisor you speak with. Some refuse, some allow anything reasonable.

Q. Can I change the origin/destination?

A. Technically no, but there is an unwritten rule that DMs can make co-terminal changes. (There are some unintuitive gaps in what DL considers co-terminal, e.g. DAL and DFW do not count.)

Q. How are SDC flights credited?

A. You will earn MQMs for the route you actually fly.

Q. Can I SDC onto a red-eye later the same day, that connects to a flight the following morning?

A. Yes (though the agent may need to process it manually)

Q. I have a red-eye flight or a flight leaving shortly after midnight; can I SDC to a flight the next day/day before?

A. Officially, no. In practice, some people have reported success (with no real pattern to status). Can't hurt to ask.

Q. Can I SDC on an international itinerary?

A. Officially, no. In practice, you can SDC remaining domestic flights after all international flights have been flown; if you have onward checked bags it is best to do this before you re-check them. There are non-zero reports of SDC of domestic flights before connecting to an international flight but this should not be counted on.

Q. Can I SDC an Alaska Airlines codeshare?

Originally Posted by flyerCO
You can SDC from a DL marketed, AS operated flight to a DL operated flight. You can not SDC to another AS operated flight, even if it's DL marketed.
Originally Posted by jrl767
you may be able to SDC from a DL-marketed AS-operated flight to another AS flight under AS SDC rules (request within 6 hrs of desired flight, as long as you make the request before the scheduled departure of your booked flight; $50 fee if you don't have AS status)
Same-Day Standby

"Same-day standby is only offered if same-day confirmed is not available."

"You can use the same-day standby option for travel within the United States, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands on Delta and Delta Connection flights."

SDS can be requested 24 hours before your initial departure. GM+ can SDS to any flight departing the same calendar day; others can only SDS for an earlier flight. No routing changes are permitted.

SDS costs $75 ($50 for tickets issued before 15 MAR 2017) but only if you clear the standby list (waived for GM+) SDS is now free for all passengers as of August 4th, 2021

Upgrades are not preserved -- if you already cleared the upgrade on your original flight you must still standby for the main cabin.

Q. Is it possible to get upgraded after a standby?

A. Almost always no, whether because it is explicitly forbidden or because the standby list is processed after the UG list and it is rare for any F seats to be leftover after that happens. So, maybe sometimes?

Same-Day Standby Upgrades

"The same-day standby upgrade option allows you to upgrade your flight for a small fee, provided space is available and your ticket is eligible. This option applies to specific flights and routings [...]"

This is not the same as upgrading after successfully standing by for a main cabin seat (see above).

SDSU fee chart (may be out of date):

All flights within and between the Domestic 48 States and Alaska

Code:
Traveling Y/B/M Fares S/H/Q/K/L Fares U/T/X/V Fares

0 to 500 miles $49 $119 $169

501 to 1,000 miles $79 $149 $199

1,001 to 1,500 miles $99 $209 $259

1,501 to 2,000 miles $149 $249 $319

2,001 to 3,000 miles $239 $269 $359

3,001 miles and up $329 $369 $399
All flights to and from Hawaii
Code:
Traveling Y/B/M Fares S/H/Q/K/L Fares U/T/X/V Fares

2,001 to 3,000 miles $239 $269 $359

3,001 miles and up $329 $369 $399
All eligible other flights
Code:
Traveling Y / B / M / H / Q / K Fares

0 to 500 miles $50

501 to 1,000 miles $75

1,001 to 1,500 miles $100

1,501 to 2,000 miles $150

2,001 to 3,000 miles $225

3,001 miles and up $350

Print Wikipost

Same-day confirmed and same-day standby options

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The Ham Sandwiches gotta pay up!
This is just more evidence that if you aren't on a high priced/full fare ticket, you don't mean squat. And apparently, discount first P/A/G flyers fall into that 'squat' category as well, as there is often only F available a couple hours prior to departure.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by planecrazy63
As a DM who does fly Delta for business 99% of the time this kills SDC and makes me consider flying more on the other airline I have status on. The main benefit to SDC to me was if I got done early on Friday I could fly home and spend a little extra time with my family, but on Friday almost no flights are going to have the same bucket available as if I book 2 weeks out. What is really sad is until this point I could say Delta knew how to treat it's premium customers better than others.

What puzzles me the most is when I have spoken to the leadership at DL they all speak about understanding the value of time at home, etc, but just made it harder for me to get said time.

Thanks for the memories DL.
yes!! Another one gone!
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by delanet
So this move seems to be designed to do the following

-Make people book the flights (times) they actually need, so that Delta can control prices more on the higher demand flights. No more booking Thursday or Friday morning Flights and taking later more expensive ones.

-Encouraging (screwing) people to book more expensive tickets because they will be the only ones able to SDC due to fare class restrictions.

-Encouraging (screwing) people into booking High level awards

So can the traveler fight back? Its going to be a lot harder, but if (highly unlikely) there is space in your fare class with a departure within +/-3 hours as a GM+ you can SDC to it for free. Well does this new flight now become your departure time? So Can you SDC from that with in +/-3 and then keep doing so till you get the flight you actually want without ever having to pay the greedy $50 fee? This would be hard to do as there would need to be space on multiple flights for it to work but just a thought.

As for me im really sad this happened but glad to be unaffected, i wasnt going to be lead to the slaughter, i ditched DL at the end of last year after over a decade of loyalty to NWA/DL including charter DM.
My understanding is that the three hour window is relative to the original flight, so successive SDCs won't get around the rule and fee.

On award tickets, if one has a low ticket and wants to SDC to a flight with only medium availability, for example, at least on the return can't one just pay the difference in miles and change the ticket, without the reissue fee for DM and PM?
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:42 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

On award tickets, if one has a low ticket and wants to SDC to a flight with only medium availability, for example, at least on the return can't one just pay the difference in miles and change the ticket, without the reissue fee for DM and PM?
Doubtful with the 72 hour rule in place.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:45 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Platinum
Two Qs:

1) Do we know that DL will not open up the additional fare buckets closer enough to the actual flight to allow the SDC option? I know UA does it - last month i flew with them and for a 2pm original flight, the fare buckets opened up for the 10am new flight around 5 am in the morning.

2) Did Dwayne ever respond back to all the questions asked here? I couldn't find any..
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 18sas
Doesn't the 72 hour rule only apply to the outbound, at least in practice?
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:48 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
That was my understanding - perhaps I am wrong.

Dwayne thanks for posting.

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; Apr 11, 2013 at 1:51 pm
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:52 am

I've never been caught by the 72 hour rule, so I guess I don't know how it works in practice, but my take on it is that there are no changes allowed within 72 hours prior to the leg in question.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:53 am

Programs: UA Silver
I do see one positive thing about this (I'm surprised Dwayne didn't mention it): it will make the decision to stop flying DL a lot easier for many of you. Don't have to be torn between anymore.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:53 am

Programs: Skyteam
Originally Posted by 18sas
Only applies to outbound.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
And as a suggestion to the mods: perhaps we should break this into two threads. One thread would be for questions and clarifications about the new policy, and the other would be for discussion where we share our opinions about it.
^^

(But, based on past similar requests O2K won't do it)
Old Apr 11, 2013, 11:00 am

This is the written rule:
Can I change an award ticket?

Yes. Members can make changes to an Award Ticket up to 72 hours prior to the original departure time (outbound or return)
The rule in practice may be different of course as many people have reported.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 11:04 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by DLroads
(g) Given that it is a major change, it is worthwhile to send it to all passengers, not just the ones who have used SDC in the last X days/months/year
Delta is such a classic pathetic company that brags every tiny little positive thing (like miles don't expire) with incredible enthusiasm, while have no guts in talking about negative things.

If Delta were a person, he'd have no friend.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 11:04 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Old SDC was a fantastic tool to get me home earlier when work ended before expected. (And yes, I even SDC'd from more expensive flights to less expensive flights!)

New SDC does not get me home earlier, and is too ******* complicated to try to understand (much like MQD, actually). (Sorry, I'm not going to the airport several hours early to play the standby game for a middle seat on a 5 hour TCON flight. The major benefit of SDC was the Confirmed part of it.)

New SDC makes me care even less about sticking with DL after this year.

Originally Posted by mapsgl
Dwayne. I know you don't make the policies just implement them so I hope you realize that none of this is personal towards you.

I run a small company not a "big global airline". In our world we inform our customers of a change far in advance. Our customers like and respect that.

Maybe DL could have:

1. Announced 90 days in advanced.
2. Informed us that staff was being trained on the new process.
3. Then train your staff.
4. Inform your staff that you have put up an FAQ to handle customer inquiries

The uncertainty and confusion came in part from DL's approach to roll-out.
+1 to this. I don't understand companies that think people can't see right through "being on message" or like being talked to in a heavily scripted matter. Ugh, it's like trying to talk to Verizon customer service

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.