Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Same-day confirmed and same-day standby options

Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: audidudi
This wiki covers basic info and common FAQs. For full terms and conditions, see the relevant DL web page: Same Day Travel Changes

Same-Day Confirmed

To request an SDC, you can
  • Use the Same Day Change function on the Today screen in the Delta app (recommended, but with some peculiarities -- may not show all routings, and if changing to an earlier or later flight will only show the option within 24 hours of the target flight)
  • Click the "Change" button during OLCI (after you click "Check in" on the first screen)
  • Call a phone agent (recommended if app does not work)
  • Use Delta's chat functions via the app (hit or miss)

Online SDC does not seem to present all the options available to you, especially when you are SDCing a GAP fare and there is no inventory in your fare bucket. Calling in is best. People have had success with Twitter but that may depend on how "involved" the SDC is.

You can SDC starting 24 hours before your initial departure. You can SDC to any flight leaving the same calendar day. There is a $75 fee for SDC ($50 for tickets issued before March 15th, 2017), waived for GM and higher. This fee, and the waiver, applies for each person, although for GM+ traveling with companion the companion fee is sometimes waived.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (main cabin)?

A. Yes (whether revenue or award ticket). Note there is sometimes inventory in a fare bucket even though it may not be offered for sale on the web site. SDC on V or N (low award) fare is not unheard of.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (Comfort+)?

If booked into W (not WU) there only needs to be an available seat in Comfort+ regardless of fare class.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (First/Business/DeltaOne)?

Q. What about SDC with RUC/GUC/mileage upgrades (that have already cleared)?

As of November 2017:

* If your original ticket is a Delta OneTM ticket, you may move to any other flight with a premium cabin seat available
* If your original ticket is a First Class ticket, you may move only to other flights with a First Class seat available; you may not move to a flight with a Delta One experience, even if seats are available.
It is unclear how this affects SDC if you are confirmed in RY/OY.

Q. I have a premium cabin fare, can I SDC to an itinerary with a single-cabin aircraft?

Written reply received from Delta, Dec. 2015:

f the aircraft does not support a First/Business/Delta One cabin you are still eligible to change to the flight as long we are still selling seats on the flight.

Q. What about Medallion complimentary upgrades?

A. These do *not* count as premium cabin fares even if you already cleared. The main cabin rules for SDC regarding fare inventory will apply, and if it goes through you will SDC into a main cabin seat (but you are eligible to be upgraded again -- make sure you appear on the upgrade list on your new itinerary)

Q. Can I change the routing/connections?

A. You cannot SDC from a connecting itinerary to a non-stop itinerary. In all other cases the answer is unclear. The SDC rules do not explicitly prohibit routing changes. However ticket fare rules usually contain a clause that additions/changes to connections must be permitted by the fare rules. These are apparently in conflict, and practically speaking it depends on the agent/supervisor you speak with. Some refuse, some allow anything reasonable.

Q. Can I change the origin/destination?

A. Technically no, but there is an unwritten rule that DMs can make co-terminal changes. (There are some unintuitive gaps in what DL considers co-terminal, e.g. DAL and DFW do not count.)

Q. How are SDC flights credited?

A. You will earn MQMs for the route you actually fly.

Q. Can I SDC onto a red-eye later the same day, that connects to a flight the following morning?

A. Yes (though the agent may need to process it manually)

Q. I have a red-eye flight or a flight leaving shortly after midnight; can I SDC to a flight the next day/day before?

A. Officially, no. In practice, some people have reported success (with no real pattern to status). Can't hurt to ask.

Q. Can I SDC on an international itinerary?

A. Officially, no. In practice, you can SDC remaining domestic flights after all international flights have been flown; if you have onward checked bags it is best to do this before you re-check them. There are non-zero reports of SDC of domestic flights before connecting to an international flight but this should not be counted on.

Q. Can I SDC an Alaska Airlines codeshare?

Originally Posted by flyerCO
You can SDC from a DL marketed, AS operated flight to a DL operated flight. You can not SDC to another AS operated flight, even if it's DL marketed.
Originally Posted by jrl767
you may be able to SDC from a DL-marketed AS-operated flight to another AS flight under AS SDC rules (request within 6 hrs of desired flight, as long as you make the request before the scheduled departure of your booked flight; $50 fee if you don't have AS status)
Same-Day Standby

"Same-day standby is only offered if same-day confirmed is not available."

"You can use the same-day standby option for travel within the United States, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands on Delta and Delta Connection flights."

SDS can be requested 24 hours before your initial departure. GM+ can SDS to any flight departing the same calendar day; others can only SDS for an earlier flight. No routing changes are permitted.

SDS costs $75 ($50 for tickets issued before 15 MAR 2017) but only if you clear the standby list (waived for GM+) SDS is now free for all passengers as of August 4th, 2021

Upgrades are not preserved -- if you already cleared the upgrade on your original flight you must still standby for the main cabin.

Q. Is it possible to get upgraded after a standby?

A. Almost always no, whether because it is explicitly forbidden or because the standby list is processed after the UG list and it is rare for any F seats to be leftover after that happens. So, maybe sometimes?

Same-Day Standby Upgrades

"The same-day standby upgrade option allows you to upgrade your flight for a small fee, provided space is available and your ticket is eligible. This option applies to specific flights and routings [...]"

This is not the same as upgrading after successfully standing by for a main cabin seat (see above).

SDSU fee chart (may be out of date):

All flights within and between the Domestic 48 States and Alaska

Code:
Traveling Y/B/M Fares S/H/Q/K/L Fares U/T/X/V Fares

0 to 500 miles $49 $119 $169

501 to 1,000 miles $79 $149 $199

1,001 to 1,500 miles $99 $209 $259

1,501 to 2,000 miles $149 $249 $319

2,001 to 3,000 miles $239 $269 $359

3,001 miles and up $329 $369 $399
All flights to and from Hawaii
Code:
Traveling Y/B/M Fares S/H/Q/K/L Fares U/T/X/V Fares

2,001 to 3,000 miles $239 $269 $359

3,001 miles and up $329 $369 $399
All eligible other flights
Code:
Traveling Y / B / M / H / Q / K Fares

0 to 500 miles $50

501 to 1,000 miles $75

1,001 to 1,500 miles $100

1,501 to 2,000 miles $150

2,001 to 3,000 miles $225

3,001 miles and up $350

Print Wikipost

Same-day confirmed and same-day standby options

Old Mar 13, 2018, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
Were you able to access the $20? I am expecting to see some negative prices on SDC later this week if the fare bucks stay where they are.
Hah...I had to go back and see what you were referencing.

I don't recall ever getting the credit. It almost certainly didnt go back to my CC, and I monitor my DL wallet regularly because of RUCs and Amex certs but do not recall seeing it show up ever. I suppose it could be YMMV, but in my case it doesnt appear that I got anything back.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by The Situation
Last week, I called in to see if I could SDC to a one-stop from a direct that got me in an hour earlier. Agent put me on hold, and when she came back she said she had spoken to a supervisor and they asked if I could leave today instead of tomorrow and on the longest routing possible! Not sure if having my original flight in F sold out and only 1 seat left on each flight in the one-stop itinerary had anything to do with it, but an interesting data point that they would offer an alternative that is against the published SDC policy that the flights must be on the same day. In any event, they made one very happy customer^
Could your itinerary have been under a weather waiver?

It's rare but possible that the new flights could be sufficiently cheaper so as to cover any change fees so DL might have been offering a normal change and not explaining.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:02 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
New issue tonight. I tried to SDC a paid FC ticket when time was most important factor for me, not the seat. The next flight showed this inventory F0W1Y3 and down from there. The DM phone agent denied the change quoting the posted policy verbatim, "...as long as a first class seat is available." So I bought a FC ticket and was denied the option to downgrade myself. I get it, the rules don't say "any seat" they state FC seat. Still surprised me. Has anyone else run into this?
Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by funflier
New issue tonight. I tried to SDC a paid FC ticket when time was most important factor for me, not the seat. The next flight showed this inventory F0W1Y3 and down from there. The DM phone agent denied the change quoting the posted policy verbatim, "...as long as a first class seat is available." So I bought a FC ticket and was denied the option to downgrade myself. I get it, the rules don't say "any seat" they state FC seat. Still surprised me. Has anyone else run into this?
You should have been able to downgrade - I have done the exact same thing a couple times. IIRC, it took a little extra time/typing on the agent's side, and confirming three or four times that I wanted to give up my FC seat, but it was allowed.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 7:43 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by funflier
Did you HUCA?
Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:50 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond (MM), Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by gooselee
You should have been able to downgrade - I have done the exact same thing a couple times. IIRC, it took a little extra time/typing on the agent's side, and confirming three or four times that I wanted to give up my FC seat, but it was allowed.
For sure. One time, lacking brain cells, I SDCed from a 2-class to a 200 and went through the same exercise.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Sorry if this is answered upthread, but somewhat urgent:

Wish to SDC from YVR-SEA-JFK-CLT (P and D tickets) to YVR-ATL-CLT (only showing F inventory). Called, asked, was told because going from 3 to 2 segments would need to be a reticket and fare difference would need to be paid.

HUCA? Any specific words/policies I should point to? Or am I just wrong?
Old Mar 17, 2018, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
Sorry if this is answered upthread, but somewhat urgent:

Wish to SDC from YVR-SEA-JFK-CLT (P and D tickets) to YVR-ATL-CLT (only showing F inventory). Called, asked, was told because going from 3 to 2 segments would need to be a reticket and fare difference would need to be paid.

HUCA? Any specific words/policies I should point to? Or am I just wrong?
HUCA, unless you have a broken fare. In which case I would still recommend HUCA, because they definitely have the ability to override. I'm not quite up to date with DL but to my knowledge you just aren't allowed to switch to a nonstop, reducing your segments is still completely legit as long as you aren't on a broken fare.

Sorry to not be able to be more definitive, but it sounds like you're up against a time crunch.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by synergistic
HUCA, unless you have a broken fare. In which case I would still recommend HUCA, because they definitely have the ability to override. I'm not quite up to date with DL but to my knowledge you just aren't allowed to switch to a nonstop, reducing your segments is still completely legit as long as you aren't on a broken fare.

Sorry to not be able to be more definitive, but it sounds like you're up against a time crunch.
I am pretty close-in here (new flight leaves in 3 hours, considered "international"). If they're selling the new routing I want online (clearly have inventory) is that a pretty good indicator it is not a broken fare? I believe the new segments are being sold as F and F.

Edit: Success with HUCA. New agent typed for 3 seconds and asked for seat preferences. Thanks!

Last edited by DrunkCargo; Mar 17, 2018 at 11:56 am
Old Mar 17, 2018, 11:59 am
pvn
Suspended

You can't SDC an international segment. Only domestic segments after all international segments are complete.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 12:07 pm

Knowing that you're looking at an international flight, I might not even have recommended HUCA, because that shouldn't work. I'm glad it did in your case, if only to know that they have the ability to do it. I'd have told you that it's HUCA territory even when all international legs have been flown, and that it's just not likely to happen on an international leg. Mind telling us a little more about your 'technically' international flight that they were able to SDC you to/from?
Old Mar 17, 2018, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SDC is permitted on flights from Canada.
  • You can use the same-day confirmed option for travel within the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands on Delta and Delta Connection® flights.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 12:23 pm
pvn
Suspended

ah, good to know
Old Mar 17, 2018, 11:48 pm

Programs: DL, UA, Avianca, Mariott Gold
Have a ANC-SEA-SNA itinerary. Want to change to a ANC-SEA-LAX itin since the LAX flight would cut 2 hours off my layover. Any chance I could do this as a GM? Ask nicely in SEA?
Old Mar 17, 2018, 11:49 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond (MM), Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by delta spartan
Have a ANC-SEA-SNA itinerary. Want to change to a ANC-SEA-LAX itin since the LAX flight would cut 2 hours off my layover. Any chance I could do this as a GM? Ask nicely in SEA?
Hope you don't have to drive from LAX to OC, might negate that "cut"...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.