Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX SkyMiles card early boarding benefit: now zone 2?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX SkyMiles card early boarding benefit: now zone 2?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2013, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by mattsteg
With that said, FOs should board prior to amex medallions.
IIRC according to the policy FOs can board through the SkyPriority line in zone 1, while everyone else has (including AMEX holders) boards through the general line. Of course half the GAs don't enforce zones after FC so I can't imagine them ever enforcing a difference between the two queues in the same zone.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by mattsteg
This is probably outdated from back before they renumbered zones and renamed 1 to "SKY" and 2 to 1.
I think that's probably right, b/c as credit card holder with no status my boarding card used to have Zone 2 on it.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM (FO soon), A3 Gold, TK Classic Plus, SPG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by Builderman
IIRC according to the policy FOs can board through the SkyPriority line in zone 1, while everyone else has (including AMEX holders) boards through the general line. Of course half the GAs don't enforce zones after FC so I can't imagine them ever enforcing a difference between the two queues in the same zone.
Having 2 groups supposedly simultaneously boarding in the same zone through different lanes is a giant cluster.

I've always read that as "FOs and Amex board in zone 1, once zone2 starts FO can cut but AMEX can't", at least from a practical perspective.

Just add an amex zone, imo. They still get early boarding, and there's not the same strangeness.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL PM | Marriott Gold | Alaska Gold
As a lowly FO (soon to be GM though) I welcome this change. I'll probably never aspire greater than GM on DL (will always stay at least FO) so it is nice to see some value being brought to my status. FO has become kind of a joke status since UG's are nearly non-existent and all the other benefits are a byproduct of being an AMEX holder.

I'd really like to see DL give FO's SP too for security screening. That would be nice.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 4:52 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles FO
Originally Posted by JGfromOC
As a lowly FO (soon to be GM though) I welcome this change. I'll probably never aspire greater than GM on DL (will always stay at least FO) so it is nice to see some value being brought to my status. FO has become kind of a joke status since UG's are nearly non-existent and all the other benefits are a byproduct of being an AMEX holder.

I'd really like to see DL give FO's SP too for security screening. That would be nice.
This is OT, but I just flew out of DCA, and as an FO, I was able to use the SP security line.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 4:54 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles FO
I am disappointed to hear that this is a typo or old page on the site. I appreciate the few benefits that FOs receive, but adding an easier boarding experience would have been great.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 5:06 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Selfishly, I hope this is true.
+1 Rather sick of how easy it is to get in early boarding these days. Throw in that theres the new SPG tie in and now hotel people who have no status can get priority boarding, really devaluing the point of sky priority.

Just to give some comparison....this past weekend i was flying from IST-AMS, came to the gate a bit later then i intended to and there was a HUGE line for boarding, while the SP lane had 0 people in it. Walked to the front, there was a gate agent checking passes to make sure you were supposed to be there, she waived me in and i boarded first. THATS how the boarding should be.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by xolinlevh
+1 Rather sick of how easy it is to get in early boarding these days. Throw in that theres the new SPG tie in and now hotel people who have no status can get priority boarding, really devaluing the point of sky priority.

Just to give some comparison....this past weekend i was flying from IST-AMS, came to the gate a bit later then i intended to and there was a HUGE line for boarding, while the SP lane had 0 people in it. Walked to the front, there was a gate agent checking passes to make sure you were supposed to be there, she waived me in and i boarded first. THATS how the boarding should be.
Had the same experience flying with Alitalia inter-Italy using the SP line. Was pretty nice. Too bad it isn't like that here.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 6:00 pm

There seem to be a lot fewer elites in Europe. That may have something to do with FB's mileage earning rules. Be careful what you wish for.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 7:26 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Had the same experience flying with Alitalia inter-Italy using the SP line. Was pretty nice. Too bad it isn't like that here.
Originally Posted by Builderman
There seem to be a lot fewer elites in Europe. That may have something to do with FB's mileage earning rules. Be careful what you wish for.
True. Though a big help would also be the enforcement of the zones. Far too often i see people board get in line and board with me when either F or SP/prem whatever, and they are zone 2/3 etc. GAs usually just scan and ignore it
Old Feb 27, 2013, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA1k, DL
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
Though a big help would also be the enforcement of the zones. Far too often i see people board get in line and board with me when either F or SP/prem whatever, and they are zone 2/3 etc.
So true. Last week Thursday in ATL, I was waiting for the GA to call Zone 1. These two guys walked by and one said to the other "I don't think its our turn". The other guy replied to him "do you always follow the rules". It was nice when the GA told them they were only boarding Zone Sky and then made an announcement reiterating right in front of them. Needs to happen more.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 8:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by reef58
I am a lowly FO, and could't care less when Delta allows Amex holders to board. I feel no sense of superiority to them, and Delta lumps us together so there must be a reason.
Everyone else should adopt your attitude.

There are ways that customers bring profit to an airline other than flying, and it is attractive to DL to entice those customers who bring profit in ways other than flying to continue doing so. We may not like it but with the recent changes DL has made it very clear they are going to reward the most profitable customers not necessarily the most frequent customers. Get used to it because it's here to stay and will continue to evolve further in that direction.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by HongKonger

There are ways that customers bring profit to an airline other than flying, and it is attractive to DL to entice those customers who bring profit in ways other than flying to continue doing so. We may not like it but with the recent changes DL has made it very clear they are going to reward the most profitable customers not necessarily the most frequent customers. Get used to it because it's here to stay and will continue to evolve further in that direction.
Not sure I agree with this. What about those of us that are FO, AMEX card holders and SC members? You telling me I am not profitable to DL? If I am not going to get UG's then I should get priority security line access or boarding. One or the other.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:17 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by HongKonger

Not sure I agree with this. What about those of us that are FO, AMEX card holders and SC members? You telling me I am not profitable to DL? If I am not going to get UG's then I should get priority security line access or boarding. One or the other.
No I'm not saying you or anyone else are not profitable. I'm saying that DL concluded that the average Amex holder is profitable enough to them to give the same boarding priority an FO has even if that Amex holder isn't otherwise a medallion. And I'm saying that the trend toward awarding benefits based on profitability not necessarily frequent flying will continue for DL and all airlines.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 5:52 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
Face it, the real crux of the issue is overhead storage space.

Nobody would care about who was seated first if everyone played by the rules of what a "carry-on" was. When you're pre-assigned your seat, it's no real privilege to board first and sit there for 20 minutes while the rest of the passengers get situated. The privilege is in getting first dibs on the limited overhead space.

I don't know about the other AMEX holders, but *I* always take advantage of their other great perk, which is one free checked bag. 95% of what I brought is tucked away in cargo, where it belongs. What I do bring on to the plane will neatly fit UNDER my seat, even the seat with the metal bar running through it. So boarding early offers no real advantage to me... except to be entertained by the folks jockeying for overhead space.

BTW, if you're gold/platinum SPG and hold the SPG Amex, you can now sign up for the Delta/SPG Crossover Rewards program and board in Zone 2 plus get one free checked bag, along with the other Delta SkyMiles AMEX holders.

https://www.delta.com/profile/spgLanding.action

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.