Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA/US merger is official, impact on DL

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2013, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
Depends on where you live, where you fly, your status and banked mileage inventory in each of the programs, including Delta, and what unknown marketers will do to the prices will do in each of the markets they compete in, along with those they don't compete in.

It's a bit early to think about second and third order effects and make decisions on guessing. IMHO.

I prefer to contemplate whether they'll add Woodford to the AA menu and buy up all the supply and THAT might affect me.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
I also think DL is at least kicking the tires and taking a look at AS, not that I think it's eminent, but DL would be foolish to not take a look.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, HHonors Diamond, National
Originally Posted by SkanderH
Will the upcoming merger between American and US air have any impact on DL frequent flyers?
It will make for at least one less DM!

I just made Diamond on segments on DL - that means I now get pretty good UG rates. However, I am going to jump back to AA/US once things settle down, assuming EXP qualification stays at 100 segments. So, to all my friends at the ATL hub, there'll be one less DM competing for the last UG!
Old Feb 14, 2013, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Flyerskies222
As a long time Delta flyer it is sad to see Delta drop back to number 3 in the U.S. For years it was always American and United batteling it out for number s one and two with United leading for years, then American bought TWA going to number one. Delta finally became the largest with Northwest, but now drops back to its old number 3 position. Hopefully, Delta will find a way to grow to regain the top position someday! Maybe more on the West Coast where it is hard to fly them without Alaska!
Other than bragging rights, what is the attraction to being the biggest airline?

I would prefer not to go thru the disruption of another acquisition/merger.

It might distract them from their current diligent efforts to fix the award calendar.

Old Feb 14, 2013, 3:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Natl Exec
Check the other thread. Plenty of questions posed and speculative answers already. It's too early to tell.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 3:44 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...impact-dl.html
Old Feb 14, 2013, 3:46 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
US and AA are two of the best FF programs for redemption. With the US airways CC you can get 20k RT saver awards in the 48, and I've done it easily a few times. And I just booked a US-STT trip on AA for 35k, DL wanted 70k.

I fear that the new airline will try to devalue the FF program during the merger and there will be less reason for DL to slow the SkyPesos devaluation.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 3:48 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Other than bragging rights, what is the attraction to being the biggest airline?

I would prefer not to go thru the disruption of another acquisition/merger.

It might distract them from their current diligent efforts to fix the award calendar.

Most profitable airline is a lot better than being the biggest. (Ask Alaska Airlines) (I think Delta is close behind them for the last reporting period).
Old Feb 14, 2013, 4:53 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by akonradi
I'm not sure why you think that DL is now going to fall behind. 2012 was sufficient proof that, no matter how often management says "route network," bigger isn't necessarily better.

In the long term, the three will probably converge toward similar sizes; Delta is further along in its consolidation process, and has thus had more time than the others to shrink. In the short term, I think that the new AA can easily give 2012 United a run for its money in operational awfulness.
This is pretty accurate, and I think that the new AA is unlikely to remain #1 for long for the simple reason that it has nowhere near the international network that DL and UA operate.

Long-haul US: BRU, GIG, GRU, CDG, FRA, MUC, DUB, ATH, SNN, TLV, FCO, VCE, AMS, LIS, BCN, MAD, ZRH, GLA, LON, MAN

Long-haul AA: EZE, BSB, GRU, GIG, SCL, PEK, PVG, HEL, CDG, DUS, FRA, DUB, MXP, FCO, TYO (NRT and HND), ICN, BCN, MAD, ZRH, LON, MAN

(Maybe plus a few other Brazilian cities served by narrowbodies.)

That's 30 combined international destinations, if I counted correctly. I suspect FRA will see a draw-down in light of no longer having *A connections at the other end. Old AA already withdrew from BRU, so will new AA want to stay there? Some of those likely aren't terribly high-yielding routes, so the capacity will be scaled as well. There's a lot of discussion about remaining in TLV given some legal issues AA inherited from TW. If they adopt US's operating certificate but call themselves AA, would that solve the problems in Israel? I imagine there are a lot of lawyers eager to get into that mess.

Now let's look at DL's 55 destinations:

Long-haul DL: EZE, SYD, BRU, BSB, GIG, GRU, SCL, PEK, PVG, PRG, CPH, NCE, CDG, DUS, FRA, MUC, STR, ACC, ATH, GUM, HKG, KEF, BOM, DUB, SNN, TLV, MXP, PSA, FCO, VCE, FUK, NGO, KIX, TYO (NRT and HND), ROB, AMS, LOS, SPN, ROR, MNL, SVO, SIN, JNB, ICN, BCN, MAD, AGP, ARN, ZRH, TPE, BKK, IST, DXB, LON, MAN

OK, so the NRT hub obviously helps out here somewhat, but I think that's just seven (bolded) destinations served only via NRT (or as intra-Asia routes). DL has been right-sizing their network for a while at this stage. As part of that, they've expanded some destinations where they really seem to be making money. Working with AS at SEA has cut off the new AA from doing too much there, even if AA and AS remain partners. (For comparison, UA has maybe 65 destinations by this method. I undoubtedly screwed up a bit in doing my quick count over the legacy CO island hopper routes.)

Without international lift, I suspect we'll see the new AA slash more domestic capacity, dropping it out of the #1 spot. If their customer service mess is even half of what UA went through, they'll probably face some really rough times. I think DL is content with what it is. Being #1 is not all that it's cracked up to be in this regard. DL would much rather be the most profitable airline than the biggest airline.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Flyerskies222
As a long time Delta flyer it is sad to see Delta drop back to number 3 in the U.S. For years it was always American and United batteling it out for number s one and two with United leading for years, then American bought TWA going to number one. Delta finally became the largest with Northwest, but now drops back to its old number 3 position. Hopefully, Delta will find a way to grow to regain the top position someday! Maybe more on the West Coast where it is hard to fly them without Alaska!
I think when 2012 numbers come out DL will actually be #2 and not #3....UA will have the #3 spot but it will be quite close. Once AA/US sync up their systems, I think they probably will be relinquishing their spot at #1 or if they stay #1 they will be losing money (just like AA has been doing for the last few years). Right-sizing the organization should be the #1 priority of this merger. I think AA/US will be looking at how the DL/NW merger went down and try to follow that same path. It just amazes me how smoothly the DL/NW merger went compared to the UA/CO, HP/US and WN/FL mergers. It'll be interesting to watch the AA/US merger and see what kind of timelines they put on it. The fleets really don't complement each other at all so I'm really curious to see how they plan on managing the fleet and the onboard product.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Deadtail
PHX is a small O/D market. Much of the traffic through PHX could quite easily connect through DFW. I think you're going to see PHX lose significant traffic and start to resemble MEM or CVG.
That's not accurate. Although PHX is just the 14th largest metro area in the country, PHX is the 8th largest domestic O&D market, just behind SFO and just ahead of BOS. PHX has more than three times the domestic O&D as MEM and CVG, combined. Even better, that domestic O&D is at higher average fares than either BOS or SFO.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FWAAA
That's not accurate. Although PHX is just the 14th largest metro area in the country, PHX is the 8th largest domestic O&D market, just behind SFO and just ahead of BOS. PHX has more than three times the domestic O&D as MEM and CVG, combined. Even better, that domestic O&D is at higher average fares than either BOS or SFO.
That may be true but PHX still will likely see quite a few cuts with LAX close on one side and DFW the other. The biggest beneficiary of the merger in PHX will be WN. No doubt PHX stays a hub of decent size for the merged carrier but I can almost guarantee it will be cut back from what it is today.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 6:19 pm

What changes in time for me is Delta gets to rake more money out of SkyMiles and provide less and less benefits because there will be less competition. Think about it...you'll have 3 airlines that offer a full-service product that can compete for nationwide traffic. To me, that's not competition.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
That may be true but PHX still will likely see quite a few cuts with LAX close on one side and DFW the other. The biggest beneficiary of the merger in PHX will be WN. No doubt PHX stays a hub of decent size for the merged carrier but I can almost guarantee it will be cut back from what it is today.
You may be right - the connections at PHX may be trimmed back. But as one of the leading O&D airports in the country, US-AA will continue to be the largest airline there unless it's not profitable to continue that presence.

WN has its hands full with its FL merger integration and the inevitable challenges that its new position as the highest-wage airline will bring as it attempts to reach new contracts with its unions. I don't see much growth on the WN horizon.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by FWAAA
I'm curious why you would imagine that AA would unload any of its 738s? Was AA's case converted to a chapter 7 liquidation? Is AA being parted out?

The oldest AA 738 is just 14 years old. It's possible that some of the oldest 738s would be retired in 2018-22 as the 737MAX order is delivered, but not before then. AA still has over 150 MD-80s to retire before any 738s would leave the fleet.

AA has been retiring plenty of MD-80s and some 757s. 20 757s retired in 2011-12 and 12 more this year. Perhaps Richard Anderson would see value in those?
Originally Posted by Delta 764
Just as a little side question, if Doug Parker decides on getting rid of IFE on domestic flights, could DL respond by installing AVOD onto more domestic aircraft? That way they can win some AA customers who like having IFE.
My idea was that DL could purchase some of AA's oldest 738 frames and they could order more 738s/A320s to be delivered new. Every older frame is a pin against the wall of fleet age, and if AA wants to really be a carrier with a younger fleet getting rid of some mid-life a/c and order even more newer a/c could be an ok thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.