Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Club vs Board Room advice needed

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2013, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Sky Club vs Board Room advice needed

I fly 1.5 to 2 times per month between SEA and MEM on Delta, and about 6 times per year to (and within) Asia on mostly Delta or Sky Team, mostly in coach.

I'm leaving tomorrow for an Asian trip and am wanting to join a lounge program.
I am gold on both Delta and Alaska.
Sky Club = $350 + $50, Board Room = $295.
I am based out of SEA (and usually start Asian trips from there), but my job is in MEM.

Since both programs offer reciprocity, and neither seems to get me into clubs in Taipei or Shanghai, is there any reason to spend the extra $105 for Sky Club membership?
Old Jan 19, 2013, 8:25 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
There are SkyTeam lounges at both PVG and TPE. As a GM/SkyTeam Elite+ you are eligible to use those lounges on international itineraries; you don't need to be a SkyClub member.

https://www.delta.com/skyclub/viewSk...Request.action

You can also use the SEA Delta club if you are on an international itinerary. If you want to use the SkyClubs on your domestic trips you will have to join or buy day passes.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 8:32 am

Programs: DL DM
I prefer the Skyclub over the Boardroom at SeaTac. The Boardroom feels dirty to me there. A lot of the furniture there is in poor condition. There is also a sign by the drive through window bar upstairs that states a 3 drink maximum but I haven't seen that enforced.

The Skyclub is newer looking, cleaner and brighter. I'm in one or the other every Thursday afternoon. I will say that the Boardroom does offer pancakes at breakfast and usually soup and salad in the evenings that you won't find at the Skyclub.

Are you in airports that have both clubs frequently? If not, I'd go with the one with the greater presence. Otherwise, save the money but spend your time at the Skyclub in SeaTac.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 8:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If the OP mainly uses DL flights (which must be the case due to the destinations listed), then the SCs are more useful as in SEA the SC is much closer to the gates and offers IROPs help when traveling DL. However, as the OP observes, he can use DL SCs with a Boardroom membership.

Yet there are other ways to get lounge access when taking DL domestic flights. (As pointed out above, the OP has access to all SkyTeam lounges, including DL SCs, when traveling on a SkyTeam international itinerary as a DL GM = SkyTeam ElitePlus.) Priority Pass is not likely to be helpful, but having either a DL AmEx Reserve credit card or a regular Platinum AmEx charge card will get access to DL SCs when travelling on DL. Either annual fee is about $500. These cards come with many additional but different benefits that cover much of the annual fee, such as reimbursement for GE application fees, reimbursement for up to $200 oer year in fees on a single airline, MQMs and bonus miles, hotel upgrades and benefits (FHR), etc.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CarmenOM
There are SkyTeam lounges at both PVG and TPE. As a GM/SkyTeam Elite+ you are eligible to use those lounges on international itineraries; you don't need to be a SkyClub member.

https://www.delta.com/skyclub/viewSk...Request.action

You can also use the SEA Delta club if you are on an international itinerary. If you want to use the SkyClubs on your domestic trips you will have to join or buy day passes.
Carmen
Thanks for pointing both out. I may hold off on joinging til after this trip.
I'd forgotten about the elite plus distinction.
I also discovered my layover in NRT (in both directions) is only ~an hour twenty, barely enough to get to a connection by early boarding sometimes, let alone spend much time in the lounge.
Michael
BTW: TPE China Airlines lounge dim sum = best food item I've had in an airport lounge (my Taiwanese friend wanted to go there just for the noodles, too)

Last edited by Mannydog; Jan 19, 2013 at 9:15 am
Old Jan 19, 2013, 9:15 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by Mannydog
I also discovered my layover in NRT (in both directions) is only ~an hour twenty, barely enough to get to a connection by early boarding sometimes, let alone spend much time in the lounge.
Michael
I disagree - on such an itinerary I'd expect to have about 45 minutes in the NRT SC. In my experience, Asia->NRT flights are often early.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Yeah, I wasn't thinking about early arrival, just that it often takes a while to deplane, get to/thru security, then to your gate. Plus, since I'm coach, I want to use early borking to make sure I find a close by spot for my bag (and avoid the chaos that always seems to happen at the gate - why is NRT so bad that way?).
Old Jan 19, 2013, 9:36 am

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
In your situation I would get an Amex platinum card. This will get you in to both lounges plus a whole host of others.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:39 am

Programs: DL silver,Hilton Gold,Marriott,VA,Amex Plat,Hertz Gold
You could always buy a 30 day skyclub pass for $90 to check out the clubs. It lets you have 2 guests. Elite plus only allows 1 guest. If you do decide to join, you can use the $90 toward your membership.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by freakflyer
In your situation I would get an Amex platinum card. This will get you in to both lounges plus a whole host of others.
^

American Express Platinum Card gives you access to Delta lounges when flying Delta.

In addition, you get a Priority Pass Select membership that gives you access to Alaska Boardrooms when flying anybody. Only downside is that guests pay $27 without their own PP membership. You also don't get access to AA clubs unless you're flying AA.

With the $200 airline credit per year, you can get the $450 annual fee down to $250 (and that doesn't include the fact that the first year usually covers 2 calendar years, so $50 the first year). Plus you get other benefits like Global Entry reimbursement.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Decided to go for the Amex Platinum.
Part of the sign up bonus was 25000 rewards points, which can be exchanged for $250 worth of gift cards, which would make it essentially free if i did that, so it seemed liked a a good deal. Plus I liked the idea of Amex services overseas, and the Priority Pass clubs.

I got my GE a couple months ago, any chance they'll compensate me retroactively?
Old Jan 19, 2013, 7:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Part of the sign up bonus was 25000 rewards points, which can be exchanged for $250 worth of gift cards, which would make it essentially free if i did that, so it seemed liked a a good deal. Plus I liked the idea of Amex services overseas, and the Priority Pass clubs.

I got my GE a couple months ago, any chance they'll compensate me retroactively?
Congrats, but the Mercedes Benz Platinum has a 50K sign up bonus for less spend (and only $25 more fee).

You have to pay for GE with the card, so unlikely you'll get it compensated. However, you can purchase GE for someone else with the card and get reimbursed for that (you get 1 reimbursement/card, doesn't necessarily have to be your GE app).
Old Jan 19, 2013, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by amolkold
Congrats, but the Mercedes Benz Platinum has a 50K sign up bonus for less spend (and only $25 more fee).

You have to pay for GE with the card, so unlikely you'll get it compensated. However, you can purchase GE for someone else with the card and get reimbursed for that (you get 1 reimbursement/card, doesn't necessarily have to be your GE app).
Well given that I've had a dozen older BMWs over the last 25 years (3 at the moment), I'd feel kinda funny carrying an MB card.
And I didn't do a ton of shopping around. I was on the phone w Amex for something else, and asked, and it sounded like a decent deal w the 25k. I think they threw in something else, but it was a bad connection.
I figured it was too late for the GE.

Last edited by Mannydog; Jan 19, 2013 at 8:53 pm
Old Jan 20, 2013, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
In general I prefer AS lounges. They still resemble a lounge (not a zoo) and have better offerings if you ask me.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 1:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

There might be a chance if you've charged it to another AmEx card. Otherwise no. YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.