Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:53 am

Are people still using companion certificates to book an extra seat for themselves? The threads I found of people doing this were at least a few years old, and a Delta rep told me, "I am so very sorry that certificate can only be used for another person occupying the seat." Wasn't sure if they were giving bad info or if something had changed.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Originally Posted by eastindywalrus
I'm seeing nonstop award availability HKG-PEK on China Southern. CZ309 on 2/14/19 has one seat available in economy right now, so it does look like there are nonstop options.
I don't mind connections. Still I am a loss to even find partner award flights, let alone book them. Am I looking in the wrong place? I have tried deltadotcom. Are these partner flight displayed there? And the skyteam award mileage requirements--are they also shown? Looks like now I will have the need to fly from SIN-PEK. Should I be searching sonewhere else?
Thanks for the direction to this seemingly simple search.
Forget it! I just discovered how to accomplish what I was trying to do. Just sticker shock looking at some of the partner taxes/fees! As much as a revenue ticket, not taking mileage redemption into account.

Last edited by cagcag; Jun 20, 2018 at 12:11 pm
Old Jun 20, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles, AF/KL Flying Blue
Originally Posted by cagcag
Forget it! I just discovered how to accomplish what I was trying to do. Just sticker shock looking at some of the partner taxes/fees! As much as a revenue ticket, not taking mileage redemption into account.
On SIN-HKG? Are you looking at the same thing I am? For a one-way flight SIN-HKG on February 14, I'm seeing $34 in taxes/fees for both economy and business. The cheapest one-way on Google Flights for that day is on Scoot at $102.

Now, don't get me wrong, Delta is wanting 22,500 miles in addition to that $34. Most of their availability is on Garuda Indonesia, and those same flights (connecting through Jakarta) appear to be going for $520 in economy. But Cathay also has a non-stop for $239. So while I don't think the route is really a good use of miles, I wouldn't go so far as to say the taxes/fees are as much as a revenue ticket.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:32 am

I'm short 400 miles for a redemption. Any idea what's the quickest way to get something posted? no amex points, but approved for a delta gold card that hasn't arrived yet.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 8:20 am

Hi there,

I have a flight from Chicago to Seattle with a connection in Salt Lake City. I paid 14,500 skymiles for it. Now, I see that my flight has gone up to 30,000 skymiles while the direct ORD to SEA flight (departing at roughly the same time) is only 17,500 miles.

Is there any chance at all that the gate agent would let me switch to a direct flight once I arrive at the airport? I know I didn't pay for a direct flight, but now that direct is cheaper than my flight, would it be possible at all?

Thanks!
Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by petey2428
Hi there,

I have a flight from Chicago to Seattle with a connection in Salt Lake City. I paid 14,500 skymiles for it. Now, I see that my flight has gone up to 30,000 skymiles while the direct ORD to SEA flight (departing at roughly the same time) is only 17,500 miles.

Is there any chance at all that the gate agent would let me switch to a direct flight once I arrive at the airport? I know I didn't pay for a direct flight, but now that direct is cheaper than my flight, would it be possible at all?

Thanks!
No. SDC explicitly prohibit you from changing from connecting to direct flight. You can only try to do Same Day Change to another connecting flight, where your specific inventory needs to be available (unless it is booked in F).

If you want the direct flight, cancel your original booking and rebook the more expensive (not cheaper as you claim, as 14500 is < 17500) direct flight.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 5:48 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by petey2428
Hi there,

Thanks!
Are you platinum or diamond? If so, book the new flight, cancel the old flight and re-deposit the miles. (make sure you book the new one FIRST and that you're not within 72 hours of departure!)

If not, I would expect to fly as ticketed, unless you want to pay a $150 redeposit fee or just forfeit the old ticket.

Also, how is 17,500 cheaper than 14,500?
Old Jun 27, 2018, 8:13 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I don't think he's saying that 17,500 is cheaper than 14,500, just that if he were buying the ticket today, the flight that he would like is cheaper than the one he is booked on.

Regardless, as the others have said, the short answer is no. Unfortunately for the OP that isn't how any of this works.

I mean, there's some non-zero chance the gate agent will do you a favor, but that has nothing to do with the price being different today.

Your best bet is if there's been a schedule change to your original itinerary that permits lenient rebooking, or weather waiver/IRROPs on day of travel that likewise results in lenient rebooking.

(Same-day standby would be another theoretical possibility, depending if the flight/your status are eligible, but probably not if the non-stop leaves around the same time as your original first flight.)
Old Jun 27, 2018, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pvn
Are you platinum or diamond? If so, book the new flight, cancel the old flight and re-deposit the miles. (make sure you book the new one FIRST and that you're not within 72 hours of departure!)

If not, I would expect to fly as ticketed, unless you want to pay a $150 redeposit fee or just forfeit the old ticket.

Also, how is 17,500 cheaper than 14,500?
How about going the easier route? Call and change the current booking. No need to have 2 separate bookings. They'll simply process it all as one transaction.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 9:48 am

was stalking some delta one routes transcon JFK->LAX all week. Needed 500 miles which posted today and now my route is gone. This is for May 2019. I don't book skymiles frequently, do they come back sometimes or usually gone for such a popular route?
Old Jun 29, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: DL Skymiles, AF/KL Flying Blue
Originally Posted by atojbk
was stalking some delta one routes transcon JFK->LAX all week. Needed 500 miles which posted today and now my route is gone. This is for May 2019. I don't book skymiles frequently, do they come back sometimes or usually gone for such a popular route?
100% purely anecdotal on my part here, but I've noticed a lot of awards either disappearing or increasing in cost Friday-Monday. The cynic in me says Delta is doing it deliberately, knowing how many people are searching on the weekend. But a lot of times, come Monday or Tuesday, the lower level award availability has returned. YMMV, of course.
atojbk likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 9:30 pm

What is the best way to look for KE award availability? I am looking for 2 one way J tickets.

Origin is MSP but I can easily position if needed, as KE doesn't fly here.
Final Destination is PEN have to be there by 3/28/19
Prefer to leave by 3/24
Looking around on DL's site it is only bringing me CZ options with 11-12 hr layovers. with CAN>PEN in Y.

Side question since I haven't been able to find anything definitive and calling Canadian customs doesn't answer. Has anyone transited Canada with DUI? P2 has one from 6 years ago and one of the flights layovers in YYZ so we will need to clear customs. I've seen its at the discretion of the border agent but haven't found anything definitive. Layover in YYZ would only be 1h40 so if there are any delays I can see missing the flight. Thoughts?
Old Jun 30, 2018, 1:11 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by MSP_Home
What is the best way to look for KE award availability? I am looking for 2 one way J tickets.

Origin is MSP but I can easily position if needed, as KE doesn't fly here.
Final Destination is PEN have to be there by 3/28/19
Prefer to leave by 3/24
Looking around on DL's site it is only bringing me CZ options with 11-12 hr layovers. with CAN>PEN in Y.

Side question since I haven't been able to find anything definitive and calling Canadian customs doesn't answer. Has anyone transited Canada with DUI? P2 has one from 6 years ago and one of the flights layovers in YYZ so we will need to clear customs. I've seen its at the discretion of the border agent but haven't found anything definitive. Layover in YYZ would only be 1h40 so if there are any delays I can see missing the flight. Thoughts?
You can not book 2 O (J) seats on the same flight. You will need to fly on different flights same day, or on the same flight a day apart.

KE max availability is 1O/2X per flight, ever. Many routes blocked Fri-Sun, some routes blocked entirely. Mon-Thu you have better chance, but if you want 2 O tickets, make sure to book them at 1 each on two different flights.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 5:10 am

Programs: Delta PM
Used my Amex Reserve cert yesterday to book ATL-SAN. Got the dates/times I wanted as well.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 6:45 am

Last min miles tickets

Frst time on flyer talk so please let me know if this has been covered or posted else where.

I have been recently been trying to book an awards ticket from Cvg to Europe ( Cdg, ams, mad , fco mxp) July 27and return 30th.

Delta awards shows almost everything at 105k each way. There appears to be no skyteam partners available even though they show award on their own sites and EF.

I spent an hour on the phone with an agent and she said flights partners had availability but Delta controlled the marketing so they aren’t available? She initially looked at atl-cdg-ams and found an award. When she tried to find it atl -Cdg it wouldn’t show.

I also found flying cvg-dtw-yyz--dtw-ams is cheaper than Cvg-dtw-ams

Is Delta forcing us to not use skyteam and meanwhile hiking miles up on DL awards?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.