Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

LAS: Delta Let Someone Steal My Luggage And All I Got Was This Lousy T-Shirt

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2012, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels

Hi All,

There were a couple of recent threads on bag theft in ATL...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...age-theft.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...eport-atl.html

Here's a story from LAS:
Delta Let Someone Steal My Luggage And All I Got Was This Lousy T-Shirt

IMHO, the solution here would be airport staff checking bags to claim tags as they leave...could you imagine the outrage then that pax may have if they had to do so?! In the past 10 years, I've had a bag claim tag checked once...in KBL.

In this instance, despite the author's claims, DL did not lose the bag, but it was taken after delivery to the carousel at the airport.

I agree it's garbage that someone stole the bag and, perhaps, the baggage agent could have been more sympathetic, but it does happen. Thieves will operate anywhere they see an opportunity...

If it's an issue, the LV police should be doing something to address it...
Old Dec 12, 2012, 8:08 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite
What a whiny article. Had the digital screen atop the carousel read "United", things would have turned out differently? Her bag would have been magically protected? I'm sorry I clicked the URL & added to her page views....
Old Dec 12, 2012, 8:27 am

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
LAS used to match receipts on bags many years ago. It was an absolute nightmare. Visitors had no idea they were going to need to produce their claim checks. Picture most people holding up the lines digging through pockets or purses searching for them. I used to tell my visitors to call me when the luggage started coming out on the carousel, knowing that from that point I usually had at least 20 minutes before they would appear at pasenger pickup.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 8:36 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
LAX had mandatory bag checks for a while. I found them annoying. So I just tore off the bag tickets when I took my bags off the carousel and then there was nothing to be checked at the door.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:32 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by sbrower
LAX had mandatory bag checks for a while. I found them annoying. So I just tore off the bag tickets when I took my bags off the carousel and then there was nothing to be checked at the door.
^

A better solution would be to make domestic baggage claim landside but exit only, much like when arriving internationally. Of course, this would require restructuring airports in a way that would cost way more than the aggregate loss due to bag theft.

I guess we'll just have to settle for even more security cameras.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:50 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by sbrower
Which is what, if they still had mandatory checks, a determined thief would do (assuming the size was carryon size or smaller...and that assumes smart checkers)
Old Dec 12, 2012, 4:13 pm
Suspended

DL Did not.

DL got your bag to the LAS, what they said they would do. Suggest traveling light and carry on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.