Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Now Delta Wont Tell You Your Luggage Was Stolen (Follow Up News Report in ATL)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2012, 5:35 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc

As the title says, interesting article since the local news found these peoples luggage in a field outside ATL. Yet Delta, APD, and Hartsfield still refuse to do anything. Now that there are new people supposedly reading and responding from Delta Corp on here, lets see if they will weigh in on this.

http://www.11alive.com/news/article/...stolen-luggage
Old Nov 6, 2012, 5:48 am

For the news outlet to actually turn the bags in was stupid. Now they all "got" their bags and they'll have to file loss reports which probably won't go anywhere. If the bags had stayed in the field they would've had a much easier time claiming liability for the bags.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 6:38 am

Programs: DL PM, LY Silver
Originally Posted by johnm1019
For the news outlet to actually turn the bags in was stupid. Now they all "got" their bags and they'll have to file loss reports which probably won't go anywhere. If the bags had stayed in the field they would've had a much easier time claiming liability for the bags.
A rather narrow view.

The "news outlet" wants to mobilize public opinion to demand that Delta fix its egregious baggage handling.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 7:45 am

Programs: MR LT Platinum, HH Diamond, WN A-List,
Wow, I try not to check bags for work but this just reinforces that idea.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 3:22 am

Programs: DL PM, GE
While i dont excuse any theft at any airport, it looks like the couple going to SXM failed to claim their bag in ATL on Oct 26th.
One can track that bag very easy as the video shows the bag tag number.

The bag was checked to ATL only, arriving at belt 5 at 11:09PM.
Assuming they took the SXM plane on saturday at 10AM.

Should the bag have been checked through to SXM on a 9 hour ATL overlay ?
Old Nov 7, 2012, 7:23 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by gplates
While i dont excuse any theft at any airport, it looks like the couple going to SXM failed to claim their bag in ATL on Oct 26th.
One can track that bag very easy as the video shows the bag tag number.

The bag was checked to ATL only, arriving at belt 5 at 11:09PM.
Assuming they took the SXM plane on saturday at 10AM.

Should the bag have been checked through to SXM on a 9 hour ATL overlay ?
The bag was short checked to ATL and not picked up, anyone can steal it from the carousel. Seems shady to me. Perhaps pax was using a back to back ticket and not smart enough to grab their bag in between.

Lesson to all: Make sure to verify your bag's routing before you tender it to the baggage system.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 7:32 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
I would expect more from Delta in cases like this. If the media hadn't connected the dots, this passenger may have never been told the truth about what had happened to her bag. It is logical to wonder "what else is Delta hiding?"
Old Nov 7, 2012, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Recent thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...age-theft.html

Older (now closed) thread from the summer:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...s-atlanta.html
Old Nov 7, 2012, 9:38 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by cottonpatch
I would expect more from Delta in cases like this. If the media hadn't connected the dots, this passenger may have never been told the truth about what had happened to her bag. It is logical to wonder "what else is Delta hiding?"
Why would you expect more from Delta if it was stolen by a non-Delta employee? ATL police should be the ones chasing this.

The sad thing is, DL will probably end up paying for whatever was stolen, even though they had nothing to do with the loss.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:30 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
It's disingenuous for Delta to deliver the bag and not disclose that it had been stolen and presumably pilfered. I would appreciate full disclosure if it were my bags. I assume most people would agree.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by HDQDD
Why would you expect more from Delta if it was stolen by a non-Delta employee? ATL police should be the ones chasing this.

The sad thing is, DL will probably end up paying for whatever was stolen, even though they had nothing to do with the loss.
Actually DL has just as much of a responsibility in this. DL should have officials checking bag tags just like all airlines used to. You pay for (or received waived fees depending) a service, that service is taking your bag and delivering it to you at your destination. DL not taking responsibility for said service means it is completely there fault
Old Nov 7, 2012, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by vincentharris
You pay for (or received waived fees depending) a service, that service is taking your bag and delivering it to you at your destination.
The bag *was* delivered to its destination (the ATL carousel). Someone stole it thereafter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.