Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta buys 49% of Virgin Atlantic (official)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta buys 49% of Virgin Atlantic (official)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2012, 8:17 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Platinum (Life), Emirates Gold,GHA Black
Delta looking at buying Virgin Atlantic

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8B105V20121203
Old Dec 2, 2012, 8:20 pm

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Gold
As the other thread says, I think its more of a large stake in the company, under EU and US regs they cannot technically purchase the company outright.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 8:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC SQ owns 49% and presumably this is what DL would buy.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 9:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Wonder if this is mostly so they can get some control over all that VA availability to Australia? I can picture the first board meeting now... Agenda item #1 is a nifty new award calendar for VS.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 9:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Does VS really do any intra-Europe flying? I was under the impression most all of the VS network involved long haul flights of which most DL already serves. I suppose DL is wanting VS to feed the Delta domestic network?
Old Dec 2, 2012, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
Ok that would never happen. The JV makes flights metal neutral but also equally divides up the flying between the carriers. So no chance VS would get all the LHR-USA flights....sorry. However, I would bet that DL would be quick to drop BOS-LHR and possibly some others if this deal goes through. This would really help with the New York expansion too, DL/VS would be a real player vs AA/BA in the NYC-LHR market
Would make LAX to LHR a better trip than KLM or AF. I'm in.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 9:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Does VS really do any intra-Europe flying? I was under the impression most all of the VS network involved long haul flights of which most DL already serves. I suppose DL is wanting VS to feed the Delta domestic network?
Old Dec 2, 2012, 10:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Hmm, looking at the route map it doesn't look like VS brings much to the table. I wonder if passengers flying VS to Havana, Cuba will be able to earn Skymiles?
Old Dec 2, 2012, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Hmm, looking at the route map it doesn't look like VS brings much to the table. I wonder if passengers flying VS to Havana, Cuba will be able to earn Skymiles?
It brings access to LHR.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 10:25 pm
Suspended

Considering AA is bringing 777-300ER to the JFK to LHR route, I am not at all surprised by this move.

Delta has only 767ER on the UK route and limited frequency and they obviously felt the UK market was ripe for growth and Delta and Virgin Atlantic are very complementary.

And Singapore can free up the cash to fund its own route expansion rather than relying on Virgin Atlantic. I see the real reason was to get permission for UK routes but none was given.

So it is a net benefit for Singapore who can do better on their invested capital in Virgin Atlantic and a net benefit for Delta airlines who gains a substantial UK partner.

Deal makes perfect sense and is a win for all parties.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...s-Branson.html

And the answer is obviously SkyTeam and I am assuming this deal will go through. It is a win-win.

Last edited by adamj023; Dec 2, 2012 at 10:32 pm
Old Dec 2, 2012, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
So the rumors of VS joining ST are more credible. Interesting development.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 11:15 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by roknroll
Wonder if this is mostly so they can get some control over all that VA availability to Australia? I can picture the first board meeting now... Agenda item #1 is a nifty new award calendar for VS.
What would buying a stake in Virgin Atlantic have to do with Virgin Australia availability? They're separate companies, and not even very close partners; VA's main partner to Europe is Etihad.

SQ does have a (recently-increased) equity share in Virgin Australia as well, but for the Australia-Asia market, so I doubt that would be affected by SQ backing out of VS.

Virgin Atlantic is starting its first intra-Europe services in the spring, three daily LHR-MAN flights. Not exactly a giant feed.

I would think this is all about the LHR O/D market. The AF/KLM/Alitalia joint venture covers smaller destinations in Europe that require a connection just fine, but connecting in CDG or AMS to get to LHR isn't exactly competitive.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:01 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JDiver
VS announced a couple of weeks ago that they're starting routes to Scotland. BA had to divest some short-haul slots when they acquired BMI from LH.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...iness-20384801
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:11 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by JDiver
And watch them move that hub west and south a bit. After all isn't ATL the center of the universe
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ashill
What would buying a stake in Virgin Atlantic have to do with Virgin Australia availability? They're separate companies, and not even very close partners; VA's main partner to Europe is Etihad.

SQ does have a (recently-increased) equity share in Virgin Australia as well, but for the Australia-Asia market, so I doubt that would be affected by SQ backing out of VS.

Virgin Atlantic is starting its first intra-Europe services in the spring, three daily LHR-MAN flights. Not exactly a giant feed.

I would think this is all about the LHR O/D market. The AF/KLM/Alitalia joint venture covers smaller destinations in Europe that require a connection just fine, but connecting in CDG or AMS to get to LHR isn't exactly competitive.
SkyTeam was quite weak in the UK market before. Also T4 had the Virgin Atlantic Club at JFK which was shared with Singapore Airlines.

I will say that the UK market is super competitive and by an alliance with Delta, Virgin will be getting more connection traffic which it needed to sustain its business model.

Previously Delta had very limited flight frequencies with 767ER. Now Delta gets access to Virgin Atlantic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.