Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Can't print boarding pass within 30 minutes of departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can't print boarding pass within 30 minutes of departure

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some of the posts above seem to be confusing late checkin versus just needing to have a boarding pass (re)printed when one has already completed checkin before the deadline. Misplacing a boarding pass should cause one to be kicked off the flight and I don't understand why DL would supposedly set up their system to require GA approval for just a reprint.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 4:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Some of the posts above seem to be confusing late checkin versus just needing to have a boarding pass (re)printed when one has already completed checkin before the deadline. Misplacing a boarding pass should cause one to be kicked off the flight and I don't understand why DL would supposedly set up their system to require GA approval for just a reprint.
DL doesn't require GA approval for a reprint. The CSR at the counter knows that you're lying if you aren't checked in and ask for a reprint. He can see your status. If all you need is a reprint, you should be able to do that at any kiosk or with a CSR at the counter, Club or gate. If you are checking in, it's T-30 or the GA's approval.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by umamy
Had the same situation at SFO a few months back. I got to the checkin desk about 20 minutes before departure (after an unfortunately timed public transit delay) and one of the agents printed my boarding pass in less than a minute.

And then suggested that I run.
You must have found one of the good ones! My agent at Newark was so slow I thought I was going to miss my flight...
Old Oct 31, 2012, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by emrdoc
Correct...I have had them do it more than once.
Never heard of this.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'll try to clarify this. There are 3 types of control a GA can take:

Gate Control-restricts anyone new to check in that hasn't previously
Standby List Control-restricts stand by list to the gate
Boarding Pass Contol-restricts anyone from reprinting BP

An agent can do just one option or all 3 depending on their certain needs. Hope that helps.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 2:59 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat
[QUOTE=MSPeconomist;19599001]...Misplacing a boarding pass should cause one to be kicked off the flight ...QUOTE]

Why is that the case? If you have misplaced your boarding pass you simply cannot board which is a long way from being kicked off. The GA can reprint one for you or you can scan you Skyclub card at the gate and a new one is printed.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 3:10 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by wmmworley
Checked in online but did not receive e-boarding pass as expected. Tried to print boarding pass at kiosk literally 29 minutes before flight & was locked out. Delta representative at Sky Priority desk told me she was unable to print the boarding pass within the 30 minutes before departure - she was quite adamant. Is this accurate? Has something changed? I'm certain that in the past helpful Delta representives have printed boarding passes for me even after I've been locked out at the kiosk...
I have experienced the this (checked in but no boarding pass) scenario enough times that I have contigency plans. My best one, if I do say so myself, is that if the Ticket Agent wont do a reprint for me then I produce my Skyclub card and ask for club access through security. Then I proceed to the gate as normal and normal for me usually involves getting a fresh boarding pass on about half my flights.

The agent can also print other "things" that can get you through security. I may not remember this correctly but one time I got some sort of pass that just said "stand by passenger" and had the current date.

One time I got the "cannot reprint and there is nothing else we can do routine" so I asked to be resecheduled for a later that day flight and used that boarding pass to get through security and then had the GA change me back to my original flight.

My most extreme backup plan which I have never used would be to buy a new ticket, use it to get past security, and then board my original flight. I am interested in hearing about any holes anyone may see in that plan.

As is usual for Delta it depends on who you ask as to what the answer will be. It never hurts to know a few scenarios so you can very politely help the agent.

One question, why does it seem that skycaps can work around almost anything if properly induced? I ahve never had them not be able to reprint no matter how late I was.

Of course the key to these scenarios is to be checked in. Which is why I have three people who I can call and have them do an online check in for me.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 6:38 pm

Programs: Delta 2MM DM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
If I Know I'm gonna be under 30, I rebook the next flight just...

so I can get a boarding pass and get through security without any delay. Then I go straight to the gate of the original flight and tell them what I did. I've done this a few times...only once have I not got on the original flight and the time I missed the flight pulled away from the gate early. Even so, it's not a good practice...pretty sure I've lost some life running late to flights...lol.

Tracy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.