Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Tips to reach Gold? (first time poster)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tips to reach Gold? (first time poster)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2012, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, SkyClub, HHonors Gold, Emerald Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Fred 3
If I understand your post correctly, you are at around 37, and the atlanta trip will get you 1.8, so you are still going to be around 11 short. Even if you take the additional leg in phx for 2, you are still short 9. I see 2 choice -- Credit Card if available, or TATL/TPAC/South America if not -- probably the easiest and shortest amount of time. My recommendation would be AMS as there are multiple flights each way
Fred 3- With the MSP-ATL-PHX-MSP trip, I'll hit 40,803.

Turns out a couple of business trips came up:
MSP-BOI-MSP: 2284
MSP-BDL-MSP: 2100
MSP - ?? (TBD city for research, let's assume 2,000)

That puts me at 47,187.

I'll try to deviate one or all of those to hit 50k, with DL Amex UG to Reserve as a last ditch option. I'll keep MSP-AMS in mind and if I'm in a position to hit Plat next year, seek more advice! As a relatively new traveler - cannot wait to hit GM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 3:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by GenYTraveler
Fred 3- With the MSP-ATL-PHX-MSP trip, I'll hit 40,803.

Turns out a couple of business trips came up:
MSP-BOI-MSP: 2284
MSP-BDL-MSP: 2100
MSP - ?? (TBD city for research, let's assume 2,000)

That puts me at 47,187.

I'll try to deviate one or all of those to hit 50k, with DL Amex UG to Reserve as a last ditch option. I'll keep MSP-AMS in mind and if I'm in a position to hit Plat next year, seek more advice! As a relatively new traveler - cannot wait to hit GM.
This will require that you add about 500 miles to each direction of these trips, which could be hard. I'm not sure there's another legal routing for MSP-BOI (SLC? or is BOI only served from MSP?) For BDL, DTW is surely allowed, but it won't add a lot of miles. Also, can you risk missed connections and devote essentially a whole day of travel in each direction to your business trips? Whenever I look at creative routings from MSP, it seems hard to find reasonable connection times that don't use very early or very late flights and I'm not willing to leave at 6 am or arrive around midnight, nor take a redeye when I don't need a transcon.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This will require that you add about 500 miles to each direction of these trips, which could be hard. I'm not sure there's another legal routing for MSP-BOI (SLC? or is BOI only served from MSP?) For BDL, DTW is surely allowed, but it won't add a lot of miles. Also, can you risk missed connections and devote essentially a whole day of travel in each direction to your business trips? Whenever I look at creative routings from MSP, it seems hard to find reasonable connection times that don't use very early or very late flights and I'm not willing to leave at 6 am or arrive around midnight, nor take a redeye when I don't need a transcon.
MSP-BOI-MSP ($732): 2284 --> MSP-SEA-BOI-SEA-MSP ($532): 3798
MSP-BDL-MSP ($1230): 2100 --> MSP-ATL-BDL-MSP ($1240): 2815

The directs would total 4,384 whereas one stops rack up 6,613. The difference of 2,229 will get me to 49,416 - this could end up closer than I thought! Would need to deviate the 3rd trip as well.

Yes, I would have to get up earlier or get home later, but sacrifices must be made for GM!

In terms of corporate policy - I book my own flights and have the flexibility to purchase higher fares based on time preference, etc. I haven't and won't abuse the policy, however. Also - yes it certainly is a time commitment to deviate, but most of that incremental time come from my personal (post 5PM) time, I can work in the sky, and finally, I work 55-60 hours a week, so it's not like I'm slacking!
Old Oct 13, 2012, 4:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
MSP-BOI-MSP ($732): 2284 --> MSP-SEA-BOI-SEA-MSP ($532): 3798
MSP-BDL-MSP ($1230): 2100 --> MSP-ATL-BDL-MSP ($1240): 2815

The directs would total 4,384 whereas one stops rack up 6,613. The difference of 2,229 will get me to 49,416 - this could end up closer than I thought! Would need to deviate the 3rd trip as well.

Yes, I would have to get up earlier or get home later, but sacrifices must be made for GM!

In terms of corporate policy - I book my own flights and have the flexibility to purchase higher fares based on time preference, etc. I haven't and won't abuse the policy, however. Also - yes it certainly is a time commitment to deviate, but most of that incremental time come from my personal (post 5PM) time, I can work in the sky, and finally, I work 55-60 hours a week, so it's not like I'm slacking!
Especially for BOI, these look like different fares, presumably with different fare rules, rather than using SDC to pick another legal routing on the same fare to get more miles. I'm not sure whether the $10 difference to add ATL is just the fees (usually $5 per connection IME) or a different fare code.

My concern with the business trips would be more that one could miss a business obligation or arrive late if a segment is cancelled or if one misses a connection. At some point, the additional travel time (even on your own time) matters too, in that if you arrive at midnight and have an early morning appointment, you might be too tired to function at your best.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Update here, plus new questions (thanks in advance).

Update - will finish at 52k-55k thanks to work travel.

Once I hit GM...

Where should I expect to fall on upgrade lists? As an FO with DL Amex Plat out of MSP to ATL, SLC, PHX, etc. I am routinely 23ish out of 30 or so. As GM with DL Amex Reserve would I stand a chance on MSP-ATL or MSP-anywhere?

I am planning a trip to Europe in March '13 (ATL-BCN-CDG-ATL). On delta.com this is regularly in the $1100+ range. Package deals on Travelocity include hotel and allow me to select exact same delta flights for $300 less. Are these considered "deeply discounted third party rates" and therefore inelligible for MQMs?

3. When I am GM, does anyone flying with me automatically receive all or some sky priority benefits? Do we have to book tickets together for the benefits to apply to my party?
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:43 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Any other tips to get to gold?
Fly 2MM BIS miles?
Old Nov 2, 2012, 2:25 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Update here, plus new questions (thanks in advance).

Update - will finish at 52k-55k thanks to work travel.

Once I hit GM...

Where should I expect to fall on upgrade lists? As an FO with DL Amex Plat out of MSP to ATL, SLC, PHX, etc. I am routinely 23ish out of 30 or so. As GM with DL Amex Reserve would I stand a chance on MSP-ATL or MSP-anywhere?

I am planning a trip to Europe in March '13 (ATL-BCN-CDG-ATL). On delta.com this is regularly in the $1100+ range. Package deals on Travelocity include hotel and allow me to select exact same delta flights for $300 less. Are these considered "deeply discounted third party rates" and therefore inelligible for MQMs?

3. When I am GM, does anyone flying with me automatically receive all or some sky priority benefits? Do we have to book tickets together for the benefits to apply to my party?

1.As a GM upgrades vary greatly by route. I fly MSP to LAX a lot and have very poor upgrade success. Once you get away from hubs you will do better. All flights to ATL are rare for anyone below DM and PM. Enjoy the free access to Economy Comfort and the free drink coupons you will get on your boarding pass once you are GM (if you print it out rather than use electronic pass).
2. you need to check fare rules for the Travelocity ticket. In my experience, tickets on the main travel websites earn full miles, but you need to read the fare rules.
3. Yes, people flying with you will get the Sky Priority benefits in the airport as far as security lines and boarding. However, they will pull you down to their status for the purpose of upgrades, unless you split the reservation by calling Delta.

All of this is laid out fairly clearly on the website. https://www.delta.com/skymiles/about...ance/index.jsp

As a GM, I will say its much better than FO, and not nearly as good as PM or DM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.