Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Tips to reach Gold? (first time poster)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2012, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, SkyClub, HHonors Gold, Emerald Exec Elite

First time poster here, been reading for a few months now.

Me:
- New position at work, some travel, projecting '12 at 37-40k MQMs.
- Already have Delta Plat Amex

Willing to do mileage runs to get to Gold. Sky Priority plus better chance at upgrades makes it worthwhile. Not interested in hhonors peanuts MQMs, so barring a DL promotion...

In addition to the 37-40k MQMs, I have a wedding so MSP-ATL-???-???-MSP weekend of Dec 15th (Fri-Sun). Can spend ALL day Sun flying if necessary.

Seasoned vets - is it possible to get the 13MQMs I need by tacking onto my MSP-ATL trip PLUS 1 additional mileage run from MSP? Not sure where to start here...

Any other tips to get to gold?

THANKS!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 6:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You might want to consider using one of the cheap S fares in BE to Europe for a fun trip at 150% MQMs. This is more expensive than a mileage run would be, but it would be a lot more pleasant. It's hard to find good MRs from MSP, assuming that's where you are.

Check whether the cheap MSP-ATL-MSP fares require non stops. If not, in addition to looking for ways to obviously lengthen the trip, remember the 500 mile minimum miles per segment and think about adding on a short segment, like MSP-MKE/MDW/ORD or MEM/RDU-ATL.

If you will end the year close to a spend threshold on your DL Plat AmEx, think about additional stuff you can put on the card or things that you can accelerate into 2012. You can buy plane tickets early, prepay hotels (by reserving nonrefundable rates, so make sure that your plans won't change), pay insurance by credit card, pay taxes/tuition for a big service fee, put things like cell phone bills on autopay through the credit card rather than your checking account, etc.

Welcome to FT.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 7:37 pm

One more idea is to bump to the DL Amex Reserve for the extra 10K MQMs on first purchase. It's a $450 annual fee but you get lounge access and you'll be prioritized over other GMs that don't have the reserve among other benefits.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 7:38 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by stils
One more idea is to bump to the DL Amex Reserve for the extra 10K MQMs on first purchase. It's a $450 annual fee but you get lounge access and you'll be prioritized over other GMs that don't have the reserve among other benefits.
This might not be possible if the DL Plat AmEx is fairly new.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

MSPeconomist - thanks for the welcome. Mileage runs do seem quite expensive out of MSP. One decent extension of my ATL trip is through SJU, I will continue seeking decent runs out of MSP - advise if you come across any!

stils - Despite thoroughly researching the Amex line of cards, I wasn't aware of the 10k upgrade boost. I got the platinum this summer, but the website indicates I'm preapproved and eligible. I'll likely snatch the upgrade and 10k soon!

Thanks
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This might not be possible if the DL Plat AmEx is fairly new.
Originally Posted by GenYTraveler
stils - Despite thoroughly researching the Amex line of cards, I wasn't aware of the 10k upgrade boost. I got the platinum this summer, but the website indicates I'm preapproved and eligible. I'll likely snatch the upgrade and 10k soon!

Thanks
MSP- According to the terms and conditions you are correct. They say you aren't supposed to be eligible for the new sign up bonus unless it's been at least a year (or somewhere along those lines) but I upgraded to the platinum in February and then upgraded to the Reserve last week and my 10k MQMs posted yesterday. I definitely would recommend verifying BEFORE making the jump.
GenY- What I would recommend (which I did) is call the number on the back of your plat and ask if you will be eligible for the bonus. After the person on the phone said yes I signed up. I called once to find out and then called a second time to actually do it. Both reps said I was eligible. They checked with a manager or something and came back with the green light.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:32 pm

If you can route MSP-ATL through SJU for not a lot more money, this seems like a good deal. It would be better if you could take some time to enjoy the place. IMO it's a not-very-nice airport. Also, for the record, they use the US$, there are ag controls (and X-rays of bags) on what can be brought back to the USA, and it's very helpful to travel with your passport, even though it's not strictly necessary.

If you're thinking about upgrading your credit card, be sure to check the regulations. IIRC there's a new law that it can't be done during the first year of the card, but I've never investigated exactly what the rule is.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:36 pm

MSP- According to the terms and conditions you are correct. They say you aren't supposed to be eligible for the new sign up bonus unless it's been at least a year (or somewhere along those lines) but I upgraded to the platinum in February and then upgraded to the Reserve last week and my 10k MQMs posted yesterday. I definitely would recommend verifying BEFORE making the jump.
GenY- What I would recommend (which I did) is call the number on the back of your plat and ask if you will be eligible for the bonus. After the person on the phone said yes I signed up. I called once to find out and then called a second time to actually do it. Both reps said I was eligible. They checked with a manager or something and came back with the green light.
I'm not talking about getting the credit card bonus miles and MQMs but about being able to receive an upgraded card of the same "type" from the same bank or other institution that issues credit cards. My understanding is that there are some new rules about this, as part of some general consumer protection legislation. As I said, I haven't investigated, so it might matter whether the new card is a replacement for the other account or a new application or.....
Old Oct 11, 2012, 1:08 am

I'm not talking about getting the credit card bonus miles and MQMs but about being able to receive an upgraded card of the same "type" from the same bank or other institution that issues credit cards. My understanding is that there are some new rules about this, as part of some general consumer protection legislation. As I said, I haven't investigated, so it might matter whether the new card is a replacement for the other account or a new application or.....
Ahh gotcha.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 2:14 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Only if they are in the same fare bucket. GMs on higher fare buckets will still be above OP in UG priority.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 5:43 am

Programs: Delta, Hyatt-Plat, Priority Club-Plat, Hilton-Gold
Fly more...?
Old Oct 11, 2012, 7:24 am
Original Poster

My understanding is that there are some new rules about this, as part of some general consumer protection legislation.
I haven't investigated it either, but I'm vaguely familiar with it and I think you're right, it's more for consumer protection (to avoid bait and switch intro rates) rather than preventing consumers from churning or getting one card then upgrading.

Regarding ATL to SJU diversion, the timing didn't work out BUT I did find a PHX diversion for only $130 more.

Instead of MSP-ATL-MSP for 1812 MQMs, I'm doing MSP-ATL-PHX-MSP for 3769. I'm sure this isn't the BEST mileage boost in history but it helps me on my way to GM.

MSP- According to the terms and conditions you are correct. They say you aren't supposed to be eligible for the new sign up bonus unless it's been at least a year...
Since this isn't a new card app, I should be OK for the plat to reserve Amex upgrade bonus, as you were. Thanks for the advice though, I will call to verify bonus before applying. Moving from FO with plat Amex to GM with reserve Amex will surely boost my UG chances.

Originally Posted by DiscoPapa
Fly more...?
Great idea!
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:45 am

Programs: HH Diamond, DL GM, National Executive, Marriott Silver
Consumer Protection...

[QUOTE=GenYTraveler;19476585]I haven't investigated it either, but I'm vaguely familiar with it and I think you're right, it's more for consumer protection (to avoid bait and switch intro rates) rather than preventing consumers from churning or getting one card then upgrading.
QUOTE]

From what I've seen, the reason behind not being allowed to upgrade cards within one year of getting the card has to do with the annual fees. Part of the newer consumer protection laws is a provision that card holders can't raise an annual fee within the first year of having a card. So even if you voluntarily upgrade from a Gold to Plat card or Plat to Reserve, you would be raising your annual fee. I have tried to upgrade to the Plat from my gold that I got at the beginning of the year to rack up some more MQMs and been told no by AMEX citing this provision.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:56 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, , Delta 2MM & DM UA Gold
If I understand your post correctly, you are at around 37, and the atlanta trip will get you 1.8, so you are still going to be around 11 short. Even if you take the additional leg in phx for 2, you are still short 9. I see 2 choice -- Credit Card if available, or TATL/TPAC/South America if not -- probably the easiest and shortest amount of time. My recommendation would be AMS as there are multiple flights each way
Old Oct 12, 2012, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, Natl Exec Elite, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diam
Ha... Just out of curiosity based on what I have booked through the end of the year, I tallied up what it would take for me to cross the DM threshold this year... I have 114,574 accrued/booked... 426 miles short of DM if I upgraded my DL Amex!

Could easily make that a CDG mileage run from DUB on CityJet or something, but it's probably better for me to take the rollover than bump up to DM anyhow, still laughed when I saw the shortchange.

I'd definitely be a DM this year if I hadn't completely horked my upcoming DUB-SYD itinerary... Specifically asked for flights, booked on China Southern through AMS/CAN on the way there... Failed to recognize Malaysia Airlines doesn't accrue MQMs on the way back, so RDMs only for 10K miles BIS. Damn.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.