Wiki Posts
Search

ATL Ground Stop - Equipment Failure

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2012, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
ATL Ground Stop - Equipment Failure

We're currently stuck on the ground in MLB due to a ground stop in ATL due to "equipment failure in Atlanta". Anyone know what's going on? I don't see anything on the news so the "equipment failure" wasn't someting terrible and catastrophic.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott lifetime Ti, USMC
The FAA web site (http://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/usmap.jsp) doesn't show any delays for ATL.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, National EE
Sounds more to me like traffic management than "equipment failure." I have had flight crews give all sorts of reasons for holds when ATL is actually in a traffic management situation.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
One of the runways is shut for maint....
Old Oct 9, 2012, 4:37 pm

My guess is just ATC. There's always some excuse why flights are late to/from MLB, even when there's nothing actually happening in ATL. For a station full of premium fliers, DL treats MLB like crap, as if we're some podunk outpost. Always get bumped to the back of the line. I actually have recently switched to become a UA 1K instead of a DL DM because I've just gotten fed up with the way DL treats MLB. I became a DL FF mainly because I wanted to take advantage of the service to MLB, but nowadays I always end up having to fly out of MCO anyway, so why not just fly the bigger airline with the better FF program. For all the MLB fliers, you just moved up one spot on the upgrade list
Old Oct 9, 2012, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ssk1127
For a station full of premium fliers, DL treats MLB like crap, as if we're some podunk outpost.
But the real question is how does UA treat you at MLB? It isn't "full of premium" flyers or more airlines would fly there, you can bet on that.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
So I sat next to a deadheading pilot on my connecting flight. He confirmed that "equipment failure" referred to runway construction. The way our pilots on the MLB flight phrased it meant that most of the pax thought there was a plane crash or something...

I've had MUCH better luck with MLB since USAir came to town and Delta dropped ASA from the schedule. I've had fewer delays and lower ticket costs now that they have competition.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 1:08 am

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by realjd
So I sat next to a deadheading pilot on my connecting flight. He confirmed that "equipment failure" referred to runway construction. The way our pilots on the MLB flight phrased it meant that most of the pax thought there was a plane crash or something...
Small world, I thought the same thing when the pilot mentioned it over the PA...

DL treats MLB like crap....

I actually have recently switched to become a UA 1K instead of a DL DM because I've just gotten fed up with the way DL treats MLB.

I became a DL FF mainly because I wanted to take advantage of the service to MLB, but nowadays I always end up having to fly out of MCO anyway, so why not just fly the bigger airline with the better FF program.
I'd beg to differ... ex-MCO I still think DL > UA... and I've flown UA more recently.

Then again, this summer has been MUCH better than last summer at MLB when I was getting a weekly call from the station manager with "better flight routings"...
Old Oct 10, 2012, 1:14 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by realjd
...The way our pilots on the MLB flight phrased it meant that most of the pax thought there was a plane crash or something...
Reminds me of this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFW6NHbWX0E
Old Oct 10, 2012, 5:48 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
My guess is just ATC. There's always some excuse why flights are late to/from MLB, even when there's nothing actually happening in ATL. For a station full of premium fliers, DL treats MLB like crap, as if we're some podunk outpost. Always get bumped to the back of the line. I actually have recently switched to become a UA 1K instead of a DL DM because I've just gotten fed up with the way DL treats MLB. I became a DL FF mainly because I wanted to take advantage of the service to MLB, but nowadays I always end up having to fly out of MCO anyway, so why not just fly the bigger airline with the better FF program. For all the MLB fliers, you just moved up one spot on the upgrade list
why do you think issues like this are confined to MLB?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 7:05 am

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by mrredskin
why do you think issues like this are confined to MLB?
It's not confined to MLB but for the past year or so the reliability at the station had deteriorated significantly. It's much better this year...
Old Oct 10, 2012, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by indufan
But the real question is how does UA treat you at MLB? It isn't "full of premium" flyers or more airlines would fly there, you can bet on that.
Well I have flown in or out of MLB maybe 40 times this year. As a DM, my upgrade success for ATL-MLB or MLB-ATL is probably only 60%. Of course, I only buy SLUT tickets!

I have no idea where all the DMs and PMs come from or work for but they are there in MLB.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 8:36 am

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
Originally Posted by fpmurphy
I have no idea where all the DMs and PMs come from or work for but they are there in MLB.
Military and NASA TDY travellers, I would speculate.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 8:39 am

Programs: Delta GM and all the magic that comes with it
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
One of the runways is shut for maint....
Runway and Taxi maintenance was the call on Monday - though the masses were told it was weather related.

And there was weather. Blue skies in the ATL and some nasty rain - well away from ATL.

http://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/flyfaa...p?p=0&ARPT=ATL

Good luck!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by DLFan2
Military and NASA TDY travellers, I would speculate.
+ Harris, GE, Embraer to name a few...

Funny that there were 3 FTers on this 1 flight yesterday... WesNSpace occupied one of the exits.

The GA who I know there commented that only 16 were left on the upgrade list when F boarded in full.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.