Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is it just me or did some award levels recently change?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it just me or did some award levels recently change?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2012, 3:17 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by amolkold
I know people hate blogs on FT, but ThePointsGuy had a great summary and rant about this. I won't link to it, but you can find it on its own post today.
Here ye be: http://thepointsguy.com/2012/09/rant...-award-levels/

It was a sneaky decision, but it was the right one.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
"I want to show you something... It's my shocked face."

Once again DL shows its idea of what a two-way street of loyalty looks like.

Who still thinks we're going to get any reasonable sort of heads up about an EOS launch if (when) it occurs?
Old Sep 5, 2012, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by DLroads
Cynical and painful, but true, I guess (see below)

Well, in that case, their media group does not do their job properly (Yes, I have some direct questions here). Let me ask again -- if we follow the official recommendations with regards to communication and updates from Delta, how come we fell short of receiving a message of this change? Isn't that a definition of someone in the media group falling short on their duties? If they were asked not to communicate the changes, it means that someone who is responsible for their guidelines fell short on customer orientation. Either way, I think it is fair that we get an explanation from the Delta ambassadors' to the community. The green tag is given for communication purposes.

Well, there are two sides to this apple, and in both Delta has some serious questions to answer: First- delta's claim (and SEC rules as well comply) that booking trips using miles is actually very GOOD for their books. It deletes obligations, and it is listed as revenue. In such case, encouraging people to book is a good thing to do. So, even if more people would find their way through the broken award calendar and book a ticket, it should not be a problem. Second- no company of such size rise and fall on a point-based quarter goal. I find it hard to believe that it would help Delta burn more miles on the short run. If anything, I believe that many (myself included) keep their 'bookings' on a close-watch and will be more careful in making decisions about their revenue ($$$ and miles) bookings.
If you buy Delta's response in the other thread about MQM valuation then DL *can't* give anyone a heads up because it amounts to a fare change which they are legally prevented from advertising. So in other words they have to put the changes into effect before anyone knows about them.

The question then becomes why they didn't post about it (blog about it, etc.) as soon as they made the change. Legally the fares are in effect so they can write/talk about them immediately after that. DL didn't do that.

So now I understand why they don't advertise them 30 days in advance, again if the logic behind it is true.

-RM
Old Sep 5, 2012, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by nfg05
I think everyone (even DL) can agree that notification should be provided for a change like this. I have to believe that someone just dropped the ball/thought someone else was taking care of notifying customers.
Why not? The current regime has been operating that way for years, first good example was tying the availability of "SkyPass" awards to a discounted fare-bucket and then lying about it. Their behavior hasn't improved since.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 12:33 am

Programs: UA GS, AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
A few months ago I was looking at a Northern Asia to Southwest Pacific J Award and it was 100k RT for low. This same award is now 110k RT in LOW.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by RobOnLI

So now I understand why they don't advertise them 30 days in advance, again if the logic behind it is true.
Many other frequent flyer/hotel programs announce point/mileage increases months in advance, without any problems.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 5:33 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
If you buy Delta's response in the other thread about MQM valuation then DL *can't* give anyone a heads up because it amounts to a fare change which they are legally prevented from advertising. So in other words they have to put the changes into effect before anyone knows about them.

The question then becomes why they didn't post about it (blog about it, etc.) as soon as they made the change. Legally the fares are in effect so they can write/talk about them immediately after that. DL didn't do that.

-RM
Are you buying that deceptive DL canard which suggests the legal is not legal? Surely none of us posting in this thread are in the market to buy the Brooklyn Bridge, so why would anyone here be in the market to buy DL's lame excuse about advance customer notification of award chart changes? The combination of DL sleaze and incompetence in dealing with customers is unfortunately nothing new, and this situation is another example that DL is still being DL.

Welcome to DL, where management thinks of customers as being the enemy or ignorant sheep ready to be fleeced or at least have the wool pooled over their eyes.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 6, 2012 at 6:44 am
Old Sep 6, 2012, 6:41 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Plat Premier, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Many other frequent flyer/hotel programs announce point/mileage increases months in advance, without any problems.
I'm wondering the same thing...
Old Sep 6, 2012, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
After all, miles aren't really ours, right? Delta owns the accounts. And the miles are really just discounts (that's been the position of tax authorities, hasn't it?). Seems a little different than cash fares, no?
Old Sep 6, 2012, 10:49 am

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]

-RM
They are lying. Not misinterpreting the DOT regs, lying. But good try Delta Corp Comm.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Vuelos
They are lying. Not misinterpreting the DOT regs, lying. But good try Delta Corp Comm.
Goodness!

When did you fully move over to the Dark Side?

Old Sep 6, 2012, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Goodness!

When did you fully move over to the Dark Side?

Honestly Vuelos has always spoke the truth on either side IMO. Some draw conclusions on his positions from it but my take is he only gets animated about things he thinks are wrong...this was/is wrong and I share his disdain for the level of pandering we are seeing from our FT interactions w/DL. I do NOT want Delta to go away from FT but I do want them to at least acknowledge (through honesty) that we are not the typical customer and the typical lines do not go over well here.

Delta..THIS IS SO FREAKING EASY!
Old Sep 6, 2012, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by avidflyer
Honestly Vuelos has always spoke the truth on either side IMO. Some draw conclusions on his positions from it but my take is he only gets animated about things he thinks are wrong...this was/is wrong and I share his disdain for the level of pandering we are seeing from our FT interactions w/DL. I do NOT want Delta to go away from FT but I do want them to at least acknowledge (through honesty) that we are not the typical customer and the typical lines do not go over well here.

^^
Old Sep 6, 2012, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by avidflyer

Gosh, avidflyer - we miss you here! Good to see you're coming around here again, even if it's to hold Delta's feet to the fire.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now
Gosh, avidflyer - we miss you here! Good to see you're coming around here again, even if it's to hold Delta's feet to the fire.
Thanks DeltaFan4Now!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.