Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uptick in Pax Abusing Pre-Boarding?

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2013, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by ElPresidente:20826356
Couldn't care less about boarding order, what I want is OFF the plane ASAP. While y'all are still struggling with your briefcases, wheelaboards, checked coats, and Muffy the Wonder Poodle your emotional service dog.
LOL ^ ^
Old May 29, 2013, 7:37 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by JBJ2435
Sorry andy, but I don't believe bicostal was trying to defend my rights,
My intent was to highlight that the integrity of the process is jeopordized by the blatant misuse by some. How anyone can justify or rationalize this behavior of early boarding due to a disability yet being the first one up out of their seat upon arrival is beyond me. If you need extra time - great - but what makes you some darned special that your extra time becomes my delay?

....nor do I think I should have any special rights because I have a disability. Especially based on the snarky response...
You DO have "special" rights due to your disability and these are detailed in the ACAA and various DOT / FAA FARs. What these rules don't require is any documentation that in fact you have a disability because it is deemed politically incorrect to make that inquiry. As such - pre-board access is self-selected.

If I need extra time to get down the jetway and cannot stand in a long line on the jetway,
But when you get where you are going all of a sudden you don't need extra time and you can stand a long time in the aisle of the plane? Miracles!

I will continue to use the pre-board as allowed by the airline and hope there are more courteous pax on my flight not posting here about the "miracle" pax not using a wheelchair to get off a plane.
And that said - I have every expectation that the courtesy extended to allow you to pre-board because you need more time should be reciprocated by you staying seated upon arrival and allowing the ablebodied the opportunity to quickly exit. I'm sure you extend this courtesy, but the gamers don't.
Old May 29, 2013, 12:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
It's not just pre-board. I recently flew ATL-JFK and when they called for FC at least 20 people boarded before me -- yet the plane only had 12 FC seats, and I was not the last to fill one.
Old May 29, 2013, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by gj83
You said that? Until I see consistent enforcement of boarding policies I just mind my own business unless I am asked point blank "Who are they boarding?"
Too many times I think to myself "they didn't call you," and the GA boards the person.
+1 - MYOB is the first rule of this. I can't stand snoopy sniffers who are wanna be GA's and tell others what they think the rules are (even if they're right).
Old May 29, 2013, 1:13 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Snoopy Sniffer - is that some sort of perversion with a Charles Schulz character?
Old May 29, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
+1 - MYOB is the first rule of this.
Irony at its optimum.
Old May 29, 2013, 1:54 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
+1 - MYOB is the first rule of this. I can't stand snoopy sniffers who are wanna be GA's and tell others what they think the rules are (even if they're right).
That's fine, But when it gets extreme I will say something. The one time in ATL when the couple in their 40's did it with their shopping bags in tow I just chuckled. (They ran to the gate when it was called and where sat in bulkhead). But when it was half the plane trying to board on a LGA-STT flight I said something, it was actually chaotic, lots of pushing and shoving, I had 3 PAX's in their 20's and very fit pushing us aside to get in there. They had lots of carry-on and I saw a BP that said row 34, Zone 4.
Old May 29, 2013, 1:55 pm

Programs: Southwest, United, Marriott
Originally Posted by N639DL
If you are that rude to disregard the disabilities of what some people have, why should we give any thought to your desires?

Having the desire to have a coke and rum immediately before a flight isn't a disability. Not a physical disability at least, maybe a mental one.

You seem like the cocky guy texting while swerving in and out of lanes on the highway if you really would prioritize a PDB over someone needing an extra minute or two to go have a seat.
I don't text and drive. The only of my phone is to change music on it through auxiliary input.

You'll have to excuse me if I have ZERO simpathy for people who are faking.

Mental disablity eh? Love your insults. Keep the wit coming. I'm sure your self entitlement will continue to flow as well.

Originally Posted by Starblazer
Hang about! I wasn't saying that you shouldn't get your PDB, I was just saying that "NEEDING TO GET FIRST CLASS ON SO THEY CAN GET THEIR DRINK!!11" isn't as important as serving customers of all needs is.

I wish common decency and manners were still around... if that was the case, the DYKWIA thread would dry up and everyone would wait their turn. Alas, that isn't the case.
I beg to differ. The first class customer (I'm business class at best sometimes) is far more important to the company than someone who rushes through with multiple children and family members in tow. The first class customers (especially ones who pays full fare) are what keeps my fares lower and they should be treated specially. They pay for the experience and they should get it. Ma and Pa Kettle who popped out a few youngin's aren't any more important than the rest of the people boarding the plane.

Pre-boarding drinks is a big thing for first class flyers. Shoving a family of eight ahead of them is an insult and just shows an obvious sense entitlement by families. Try flying Southwest and deal with preboarders.

Last edited by Calipso; May 29, 2013 at 2:00 pm
Old May 29, 2013, 1:57 pm

The actual announcement mentions..."those traveling with infants, car seats or strollers..." If you have car seat or stroller....that could be, of course, used by a child older than 2. Sometimes...alot older.
Old May 29, 2013, 2:06 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by OHDL1
The actual announcement mentions..."those traveling with infants, car seats or strollers..." If you have car seat or stroller....that could be, of course, used by a child older than 2. Sometimes...alot older.
Depends on the GA. Some say with strollers, some say with a child under the age of 2. It is not consistent.
Old May 29, 2013, 2:42 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
First, GFYS Buddy, errr I mean MYOB. (Sorry, the NYer came out for a second!)

Second, I only said anything initially because they were stressing out and I've often had that same look on my face coming from the SkyFrathouse and approaching the gate not knowing just how badly that last funnel of Bud screwed me on boarding order.

I didn't challenge why she was rushing towards the carpet, I also didn't assume she was preboarding because of an older kid- I actually just tried to be very un-NY like and show some kindness to a stranger. When she explained her rush was intentional and why, then yes, I corrected her.

I actually got quite a few attaboys as people were settling in to the J cabin, so the other intrusive asshats like me obviously found my actions agreeable.
Old May 29, 2013, 2:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by mother-
First, GFYS Buddy, errr I mean MYOB. (Sorry, the NYer came out for a second!)

Second, I only said anything initially because they were stressing out and I've often had that same look on my face coming from the SkyFrathouse and approaching the gate not knowing just how badly that last funnel of Bud screwed me on boarding order.

I didn't challenge why she was rushing towards the carpet, I also didn't assume she was preboarding because of an older kid- I actually just tried to be very un-NY like and show some kindness to a stranger. When she explained her rush was intentional and why, then yes, I corrected her.

I actually got quite a few attaboys as people were settling in to the J cabin, so the other intrusive asshats like me obviously found my actions agreeable.
FA / GA for a day.
Old May 29, 2013, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bicostal
If you need extra time - great - but what makes you some darned special that your extra time becomes my delay?.
I assure you that I am not the cause of your delay. You are likely sitting in front of me, I deplane when allowed by row/seat and if you happen to be behind me on the jetway, you can easily pass me as I stay to one side to allow others to pass. :-:

What these rules don't require is any documentation that in fact you have a disability because it is deemed politically incorrect to make that inquiry. As such - pre-board access is self-selected.
Are you suggesting that people actually make up diseases in order to board early? If so, for what possible reason? I used to like to board dead last as I find the seats (even in FC) uncomfortable and who needs to be sitting on a plane longer than necessary?

But when you get where you are going all of a sudden you don't need extra time and you can stand a long time in the aisle of the plane? Miracles!
You still don't understand the disability, but that's OK, I don't expect people to understand. No, I can't stand a long time in the aisle of the plane either. No miracles here, I sit, I stand depending on how long. Walking is actually easier than standing in one spot.

And that said - I have every expectation that the courtesy extended to allow you to pre-board because you need more time should be reciprocated by you staying seated upon arrival and allowing the ablebodied the opportunity to quickly exit. I'm sure you extend this courtesy, but the gamers don't.
If I need a wheelchair to exit the plane, I have to sit in my seat until everyone else has exited. However, I don't need a wheelchair to get on or off the plane, so I will exit when allowed. If I brought my wheelchair (like I did this past weekend), then I do stay seated as I know I have to wait for it to be brought up to the jetway.

I don't understand "gamers", what do they gain by all this nonsense?
Old May 29, 2013, 3:06 pm

Shame on you for this comment. Have you ever dealt with someone who has MS?

This thread has gone past it's worthiness. It's now getting to be cruel.

Melanie
Old May 29, 2013, 3:31 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
The gamers are making it difficult for the people with genuine disabilities.
There was a post on the WN board about someone (Business select with an A1 boarding card) who was unhappy because a pre-boarder and his wife were sitting in both exit rows and saving the 4 seats for someone else. If one is pre-boarding they can't sit in the exit row (WN rules) but the FA ignored it all. Fair? No. But if many behave badly then bad behavior will become the norm.

Most people don't like schemers and if no one calls them on it they will continue to take advantage of everyone else - especially those who are genuinely disabled.And if one says nothing then they are giving the schemer tacit approval for their bad behavior.

Some believe that no one should say something to another. But I'll be very vocal and even become agressive if I see a large male abusing (physicially) a smaller female or anyone abusing a child. It is wrong and I won't pretend it isn't happening. Bad behavior is just a lesser form of this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.