Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ben Edelman site down?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2004, 7:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat, HHONORS DIAMOND Budget Fastbreak
I have had problems for 2 days trying to use this.
Old Aug 10, 2004, 8:58 pm

Question Don't think so?

Originally Posted by Pointfreak!
Just checked my flights to GRU moments ago. All is well. Do you have anything else running that might interfere?
What else could be running? I turned off firewall and still nothing. Seems none of the links work for me.
Old Aug 10, 2004, 9:25 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by findmeinfirst
Seems none of the links work for me.
Just on the off chance that the link is screwed up...is this the one you're using? http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/people/edelman/DLseats/

I just tried it and it worked fine for me.
Old Aug 11, 2004, 9:44 am

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat, HHONORS DIAMOND Budget Fastbreak
I just tried through your link, which is the same that I have been using, and it still does not work. In the upper right-hand corner where it says "support this site buy from: '''''' ," there is no operating link to click through to. I have tried deleting my cookies, clearing my history, and trying to go in another way but no success. Thanks for any assistance.
Old Aug 11, 2004, 10:48 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake
I just tried through your link, which is the same that I have been using, and it still does not work. In the upper right-hand corner where it says "support this site buy from: '''''' ," there is no operating link to click through to. I have tried deleting my cookies, clearing my history, and trying to go in another way but no success. Thanks for any assistance.
I'm stumped. My only other thought is to ask if you have recently installed the new Microsoft Service Pack. I have not done so, but I'm told that the installation of that SP changes the way many IE features look and work compared to the "old" IE. If that's not it, I'm out of guesses. The link still works for me.
Old Aug 11, 2004, 11:21 am

This site (http://www.benedelman.org/travel/dlseats/) works for me. You might try another computer to see if it works ... then you'd know for sure something is off with your computer. Good luck!

Happydad
Old Aug 11, 2004, 11:44 am

Programs: DL GM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake
Try another browser - I'd recommend Mozilla Firefox (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/) - it's faster, infinitely more secure than IE, and it definitely works with the Edelman site.

If you don't want to do that, I think that you might have JavaScript disabled in your browser?
Old Aug 11, 2004, 1:22 pm

I have not been able to access for a few days now. I've tried all the suggestions (another pc and one without the IE SP update, firewall, security, etc.) still it does not work for me. I emailed Edelman and he is currently travelling in Europe with very limited access to a pc. He replied: "I'll be back in the US on August 21, and I'll be sure to investigate the problem immediately at that time."
If anyone else has other suggestions, I'll try.
Old Aug 11, 2004, 7:23 pm

Unhappy Ditto...

Originally Posted by time2fly
I have not been able to access for a few days now. I've tried all the suggestions (another pc and one without the IE SP update, firewall, security, etc.) still it does not work for me. I emailed Edelman and he is currently travelling in Europe with very limited access to a pc. He replied: "I'll be back in the US on August 21, and I'll be sure to investigate the problem immediately at that time."
If anyone else has other suggestions, I'll try.
I have done the same and no dice.
Old Aug 21, 2004, 2:55 pm

Back & troubleshooting

Howdy folks. Sorry for the long delay in responding here -- I've been on the road, on a much-needed vacation.

Can everyone who's currently having problems email me using the form at http://www.benedelman.org/mail ? Please include the following information --

1) Any error message you receive. What exactly (if anything) happens when you press the buttons in the site.

2) What web browser are you using? Model and version? Any personal firewall software installed? ("Norton Internet Security" or similar.) Anything else that seems relevant about your PC? Same problem on other PCs at home / work / library / etc.?

I share DLfan's suggestion that a service pack could change lots about IE, and could break my site and its JavaScript. Certain very aggressive personal firewalls (Norton key among them) might also somehow interfere with the site. With a few reports from folks who are having problems, I should be able to get to the bottom of this.

For whatever it's worth, my webstats show plenty of people continuing to access the site -- seemingly using it OK (given the relatively few number of complaints I've received by email), though there's really no way for me to know, since a success and a failure look the same in my web server's log files.
Old Aug 21, 2004, 3:58 pm

Programs: Delta-Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott-Lifetime Titanium. Priority Club-Platinum
Originally Posted by bedelman
For whatever it's worth, my webstats show plenty of people continuing to access the site -- seemingly using it OK
I have continued to use your site without any problems...just used today in fact. Muchas Gracias for your work!

Suggestion: I know you have the "advanced interface" which is OK, but a bit cryptic to use. Could you just add two or three "forms" to the basic page so us lazy bums can search multiple flights?

..and those still having problems; Make sure to tell Ben if you have never been able to access the site, or if you once could then it stopped. Could provide a clue.
Old Aug 21, 2004, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Pointfreak!
I have continued to use your site without any problems...just used today in fact. Muchas Gracias for your work!

Suggestion: I know you have the "advanced interface" which is OK, but a bit cryptic to use. Could you just add two or three "forms" to the basic page so us lazy bums can search multiple flights?

..and those still having problems; Make sure to tell Ben if you have never been able to access the site, or if you once could then it stopped. Could provide a clue.
Regarding the "advanced interface" I write my flight info in a word document and then paste it into the box under "advanced mode". In fact I list all my itineraries in one script and then check them all out at the same time (great for catching schedule changes/change of planes). I make changes to the word documents as I take flights or add new ones: Here is an example:
600,sep,7,slc,pdx,f;885,sep,8,pdx,slc,f;426,sep,9, slc,atl,f;776,sep,9,atl,bdl,f;1761,sep,10,bdl,atl, f;271,sep,10,atl,slc,f

This may not be for everyone (takes some time), but once you've started the word document, it saves time.

And, yes, it is a great site (and works for me).

Happydad
Old Aug 22, 2004, 11:46 am

Bookmarks as alternative to copy and paste

Storing your itineraries in a separate file, then copying and pasting them in, is a good idea. Perhaps even better is to use the Bookmark feature built into the site. Type in your desired flight details (in regular mode or advanced mode), then press Bookmark. Wait a couple seconds while the page loads, then add the resulting URL to your browser's bookmarks/favorites. (In IE, go to the Favorites menu, and choose Add to Favorites.) See also the instructions displayed if you press the question mark next to the Bookmark button.

For me, at least, this ends up being even faster than copying a list of flights into the seatmap viewer tool.

As to browsing multiple flights' seats at once, without using advanced mode: This is a good idea, and in fact something I was recently thinking about. It's a little bit of a pain to code, though, so I'm not sure when I'll ge around to it.
Old Feb 8, 2005, 8:46 am

Programs: DL FO, UA Premier Silver, AA Gold, PC Gold, HH Silver, MR Silver
Trouble With Edelman's Site?

Has anyone been successful in getting onto Ben Edelman's wonderful Delta seatmap website?

I've tried over the past couple of days and I've had no luck.

Am I the only one?
Old Feb 8, 2005, 10:08 am

Ben Edelman's Seat Maps Down ...

Dear Ben:

As you may know, your wonderful seat map link (http://www.benedelman.org/travel/dlseats/) is down. I noticed it stopped working late last night (2/7) and hasn't been working since.

I, for one, LOVE this tool. Thanks for all your help to provide this. The new enhancements you made late in 2004 are AWESOME!!!

Thanks!

Happydad

Last edited by Canarsie; Feb 8, 2005 at 10:54 am Reason: This (and the next) mileposts were merged into this thread unedited as the topics were identical.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.