Community
Wiki Posts
Search

expedia: disadvantages??

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2012, 7:19 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Originally Posted by 18sas
Yes, but Delta's 24-Hour Risk Free Cancellation, which is separate from and pre-dates the DOT rule, even applies within the one week window as a matter of stated policy. So it's above and beyond the DOT mandate.

If Expedia or another OTA doesn't have a stated policy separate from the DOT rule, then I can't rely on it.
As noted earlier, I have never seen the "within 7 days" exclusion cited to refuse a void. However, your point is very well taken: From the pax perspective, you want the comfort of the clearly written guarantee.

I am going to raise this issue internally to see what I might learn and what we might be able to change. I appreciate the heads up.
Old May 20, 2012, 7:24 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Originally Posted by adamj023
...If these really weren't consolidator fares, then I was thinking that there is one other plausible explanation here and the source of this was from one of the travel websites which I forget offhand but has to do with timing of the fare discontinuation where it shows up in one database but not another, also things like removal of certain fuel surcharges or taxes in the fare itself which cause it to be cheaper.

Apparently the next day the database was updated and new fares opened up...
True, as I noted in Milepost 26:
Originally Posted by andymo99
Another point: if you see some of the great steals in the MR forum, you'll see how things evolve where they often last longer at some sites vs. other (including supplier direct aka the airline itself).
Old May 20, 2012, 8:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by andymo99
True, as I noted in Milepost 26:
I will note: I have never seen one ideal website or place to book everything that always has the lowest price if that is what you are solely looking for.

Ive seen everything from credit card based travel engines to online travel agents and consolidators and the airlines themselves. Full fare agents and consolidator agents.

But there are plenty of them with solid reputations.

I will say it would be nice if someone actually was able to really devise a way to weed through everything and some sort of magic best fare engine which will give you the best price everytime with firms with great reputations. But alas that doesn't exist and won't because of the proprietary nature of many of the fare engines.

Internet may have added convenience but I still don't think it is the best way to book tickets all the time as this poster found out by calling the airline directly and I bet if they shopped further they could have gotten an even cheaper rate depending on the flight load closer in time to the destination date. But as we know fares from carriers are less in supply now and so if user thought price was good and they needed to go, I am sure the price is good enough for them since they are guaranteed a seat.
Old May 20, 2012, 11:55 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Still one more reason to book on Expedia....

One more reason to book on Expedia - when you find a complex itinerary on ITA that delta.com can't/won't replicate, you can usually get Expedia to do it.

Originally Posted by gooselee
In related news, do Expedia bookings post to credit cards as "Expedia" or as the airline? So, if I were to book a DL flight on a DL Amex, would it appear as a DL charge and get double miles per dollar?
As others have noted, my DL bookings made on Expedia post on my AmEx as a DL charge and I do get double miles for the purchase.

And to further clarify what andymo99 stated, there are a number of Expedia brands (including Hotwire). However, the OP's question was about Expedia proper and we should be careful not to confuse them. There has been enough disinformation in this thread already.

Finally a note to andymo99 - I wish when I go back during a multi-city search, Expedia didn't totally clear all of my entered information. Maybe you can pass that small annoyance on to the appropiate people. @:-)
Old May 21, 2012, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by ecaarch
...Finally a note to andymo99 - I wish when I go back during a multi-city search, Expedia didn't totally clear all of my entered information. Maybe you can pass that small annoyance on to the appropiate people. @:-)
Me too! And I sure will do so. We have internal channels for product feedback like this. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.