Community
Wiki Posts
Search

expedia: disadvantages??

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2012, 9:37 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by adamj023

I would not be surprised if NWA/Deltaflygirl turned out to be a delta employee..
You have a keen perception for the obvious.
Old May 20, 2012, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by ecaarch
and DL miles by using my SkyMiles AmEx.
In related news, do Expedia bookings post to credit cards as "Expedia" or as the airline? So, if I were to book a DL flight on a DL Amex, would it appear as a DL charge and get double miles per dollar?
Old May 20, 2012, 11:32 am
Original Poster

The outcome of the story: Foolishly, I did not buy the ticket yesterday, and this morning, when I looked, the good fares had disappeared from Expedia, Orbitz, Vayama, et al. Just a few minutes ago, however, the good fares reappeared. Unable once again to call up the flights on the Delta website, I called and found that this time, the fare quoted not just matched the third-party sites, but was even a few dollars lower. Mirabile! Paid ticket in hand, I want to thank you all for the discussion which taught me a lot.
Old May 20, 2012, 11:49 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, UA Mileage Plus.
Originally Posted by gooselee
In related news, do Expedia bookings post to credit cards as "Expedia" or as the airline? So, if I were to book a DL flight on a DL Amex, would it appear as a DL charge and get double miles per dollar?
I purchased a UA ticket on Orbitz two years ago and the CC charge appeared as "United Airlines 016XXXXXXXXX" Howver, I don't think it can or will differentiate between the DL Amex and any other Amex. However, I believe if you purchase airfare as part of an all inclusive vacation charge then the CC statement would only indicate Expedia.
Old May 20, 2012, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by Dash51
I purchased a UA ticket on Orbitz two years ago and the CC charge appeared as "United Airlines 016XXXXXXXXX" Howver, I don't think it can or will differentiate between the DL Amex and any other Amex. However, I believe if you purchase airfare as part of an all inclusive vacation charge then the CC statement would only indicate Expedia.
I'm pretty sure the bonus miles are assigned by AmEx based on purchases coming through from Delta, so there's no need to differentiate between the AmEx cards at purchase time.
Old May 20, 2012, 1:22 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Originally Posted by ecaarch
Wow, what a thread. Since I book almost all of my tix (DL and others) via Expedia, my experiences support virtually everything andymo99 has stated in this thread. There are huge differences between online travel agents (Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, etc.), opaque booking services (Hotwire or Priceline bidding), and consolidators. There are different situations where each is the most appropriate, but they are FAR, FAR, FAR from the same thing.

To be clear, Hotwire is an Expedia, Inc. company. As is Egencia, hotels.com, and several others brands.
Old May 20, 2012, 1:23 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Originally Posted by 18sas
Ah, I forgot about that. I remember hearing about it when the All-In price display rule went in, but I had forgotten.

So, I guess the one week prior to departure rule though would give the edge back to dl.com for flights within that time period.

Not really. I have never seen that enforced anywhere, and the DOT rule applies the same whether you purchase from supplier direct or from a third-party.
Old May 20, 2012, 2:07 pm

Programs: Delta Ballast Medallion, Card Carrying Honorary KM
FWIW -

I would defer to andymo99 any answers given about Expedia, as he is decidedly the one who knows and I've made no secret of the folks who pay my paycheque - but with the disclaimer that I only know what Delta's P&P's are, and no matter where someone books a ticket, they should ALWAYS read the fare rules, especially those regarding cancellation and changes, and mileage acquisition.
Old May 20, 2012, 2:38 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by NWA/Deltaflygirl
FWIW -

I would defer to andymo99 any answers given about Expedia, as he is decidedly the one who knows and I've made no secret of the folks who pay my paycheque - but with the disclaimer that I only know what Delta's P&P's are, and no matter where someone books a ticket, they should ALWAYS read the fare rules, especially those regarding cancellation and changes, and mileage acquisition.
1+

Regardless of exactly what Expedia sells, the only real answer to that subthread is to read the full fare rules.
Old May 20, 2012, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by mtkeller
I'm pretty sure the bonus miles are assigned by AmEx based on purchases coming through from Delta, so there's no need to differentiate between the AmEx cards at purchase time.
Thanks for the replies Dash51 & mtkeller. And yes, Amex awards the bonus miles related to the credit card program based on how the transaction posts through to them, so if Expedia passes charges through as the airline, then it should work. Maybe I'll book a cheap flight through Exp next time to see what happens.

One day, I'm going to just snap, and just reroute everyone to Abu Dhabi...
(from your signature)

Can you please do this on my next business trip to LGA? I would be happy to miss work due to an "accidental" reroute.
Old May 20, 2012, 3:28 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Never had an issue with Expedia. Book tons on it and pretty much congratulate andymo99 on a great product. Never been burned. Can't say that about dl.com, where most of us are just "glitches" these days.
Old May 20, 2012, 4:41 pm

...no matter where someone books a ticket, they should ALWAYS read the fare rules, especially those regarding cancellation and changes, and mileage acquisition.
Originally Posted by exwannabe
1+

Regardless of exactly what Expedia sells, the only real answer to that subthread is to read the full fare rules.
Wholeheartedly agree! Caveat emptor.

Originally Posted by tvnwz
Never had an issue with Expedia. Book tons on it and pretty much congratulate andymo99 on a great product. Never been burned.
I appreciate the sentiments, though I can't take any credit for the product. I congratulate our product team on that as well... though they are always pushing improvements.
Old May 20, 2012, 5:14 pm

...read the full fare rules.
+1

Bingo...
Old May 20, 2012, 6:08 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by andymo99
Not really. I have never seen that enforced anywhere, and the DOT rule applies the same whether you purchase from supplier direct or from a third-party.
Yes, but Delta's 24-Hour Risk Free Cancellation, which is separate from and pre-dates the DOT rule, even applies within the one week window as a matter of stated policy. So it's above and beyond the DOT mandate.

If Expedia or another OTA doesn't have a stated policy separate from the DOT rule, then I can't rely on it.
Old May 20, 2012, 7:10 pm
Suspended

1+

Exactly right. Apparently said user waited on the fare and got a lower price thru Delta directly.

The people who have said Expedia was a consolidator were from 2001 and 2005.

If they changed this policy, so be it, I can't answer that. I do know in the past they definitely did consolidator fares.

If these really weren't consolidator fares, then I was thinking that there is one other plausible explanation here and the source of this was from one of the travel websites which I forget offhand but has to do with timing of the fare discontinuation where it shows up in one database but not another, also things like removal of certain fuel surcharges or taxes in the fare itself which cause it to be cheaper.

Apparently the next day the database was updated and new fares opened up.

Were these the same fare codes from Delta and Expedia?

Anyways, glad you got what you wanted. Customers have flexibility to use any booking site they want and people can choose accordingly.

Apparently all these sites are able to sell tickets with lots of competition, and these days dwindling supply of tickets.

There must be boatloads of booking engines with their own pricing algorithms in the backend and consolidator fares in the mix and there is no one site fits all anymore.

"Unable once again to call up the flights on the Delta website, I called and found that this time, the fare quoted not just matched the third-party sites, but was even a few dollars lower. "

Interesting. I wouldn't expect the phone system to have different fares than the computer system. In fact costs are cheaper online for booking.

Last edited by adamj023; May 20, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.