Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What can I do with my load of Delta miles??? (210k worth)

What can I do with my load of Delta miles??? (210k worth)

Old Apr 14, 2012, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
I also have a decent stash of miles (at the moment a little below 150k). Everyone tells me I should use them already but I'm saving up for one of two things (or perhaps both eventually):

1) SYD
and
2)
Originally Posted by BobH
That said, I like to save some for family emergencies ....
Emergency fund (one day you just may need to get somewhere -- or get out of somewhere -- as quickly as possible, and the miles would certainly help)

Originally Posted by BobH
I just used some to rent a car where I got 1.3 cents per mile.
Didn't know you could rent cars with miles... does it force you to use the DL discount program for whatever company it is (Hertz calls it a CDP) or does it even let you use those things at all?

Originally Posted by JoshC
Put 50k with it and go around the world in Biz class.

My ticket was purchased yesterday.
That's not a bad idea... that's a #3 on my list!

-J.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
If you want to go to Asia, Korean is a fantastic choice. They fly out of all the major US cities (SFO, LAX, ATL, JFK, ORD, etc...) with full-flat seats, excellent food, excellent service, and if you can get on an A380, a stand-up bar+lounge. Lots of availability so long as you stay out of their blackout dates. 120K r/t to Asia, and *very* low YQ (like $12).

I just got back from Vietnam via ICN with KE, and it was a fantastic experience. You've almost got enough miles for 2 of these, and I see a lot of O6+ on the 388's out of JFK.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Shall we count destinations available without paying fuel surcharges on that 3-Asian city, 11-European city AA network?
We can certainly do that, but we must also count cities served by CX and QF (to name a couple of partners), along with the ability to fly in a real F cabin on premium airlines.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 7:05 pm

Programs: DL PM, AS MVPG, Hyatt DIA, PC PLAT, Club Carl Gold, HH Gold, Accor Dia
Originally Posted by arcticbull
..... and I see a lot of O6+ on the 388's out of JFK.
Mind sharing where you are seeing this "O 6+" KE J space?

Not on EF anymore so I'd be interested if you've got a site that's showing it.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 7:36 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by OLYflyer
Mind sharing where you are seeing this "O 6+" KE J space?

Not on EF anymore so I'd be interested if you've got a site that's showing it.
I am still seeing KE O class on EF, could be the dates you choose.

Additionally, KE O class on EF isn't always available to DL SM redemption.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL PM, AS MVPG, Hyatt DIA, PC PLAT, Club Carl Gold, HH Gold, Accor Dia
Originally Posted by DHalltheway
I am still seeing KE O class on EF, could be the dates you choose.

Additionally, KE O class on EF isn't always available to DL SM redemption.

I understand you can select "O" on EF, but since they removed visibility of "O" space from most routes other than those going from ICN-Japan I have not recently seen space on a TPAC route.

If there's a date where JFK-ICN (or any TPAC) shows up on EF please let me know. If not I'd still like to know where he was seeing "O" 6+.

Thanks.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Isn't O inventory for AF back on EF now?
Old Apr 15, 2012, 1:25 am

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
I understand you can select "O" on EF, but since they removed visibility of "O" space from most routes other than those going from ICN-Japan I have not recently seen space on a TPAC route.

If there's a date where JFK-ICN (or any TPAC) shows up on EF please let me know. If not I'd still like to know where he was seeing "O" 6+.

Thanks.
I was referring to EF back when it worked Sorry I should have been more clear. I spent a lot of time looking at their availability when trying to book my flights.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:06 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Donate to one of your favorite non-profits. Or fly your favorite aunt in for a weekend with you.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:03 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
MSPEconomist,

Fair question--yes that is my own award consulting service
Sure, I don't have as much expertise as other folks who book your awards for you, but I have the following, in addition to be passionate about both what I do, and all things miles and points:

1) An engineering degree which has taught me to think analytically and be persistent in solving problems. Can't find availability? I will evaluate numerous routings to ensure your award can be obtained using an optimal number of miles.

2) A lifelong knowledge of airline travel that has made me familiar with the major alliances, redemption possibilities and routing rules.

3) I have studied under the experts. Over the past year, I have studied in great deal this site, One Mile at a Time, and ThePointsGuy in order to understand both what are the best redemption possibilities, how search for award availability, and how to piece itineraries together. Furthermore, I attended Gary's Seminar at the Chicago Seminars last fall in order to further my comprehension and gain viability in the world of award booking services.

4) I have a 0 Hassle Guarantee. No trip booked, no cost.

5) If you, a family member, or a friend is looking to take the hassle out of booking an award trip, please give 0 Hassle Awards a try.

As far as the blog, I only started back in December, and I highly recommend it.. Hope you enjoy!
Old Apr 18, 2012, 1:10 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles KM (Charter Member)
BHM-HKG 70k

I Booked today BHM to HKG for Aug 2 departure and Sep 28 return. Was a low-low availability. The current ticket price on that is a little over $2,000 - so that was a good use.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 3:04 am

Thanks.
That isn't true.

Because they are hard to find doesn't mean they don't exist. I did this search a couple mins prior to posting.

JFK ones are harder because it is the 380 and everyone wants a seat on them.

Last edited by DHalltheway; Apr 18, 2012 at 3:13 am
Old Apr 18, 2012, 3:18 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by DHalltheway
That isn't true.

Because they are hard to find doesn't mean they don't exist. I did this search a couple mins prior to posting.

JFK ones are harder because it is the 380 and everyone wants a seat on them.
It seems it's a fluke that that one day is showing inventory on DFW-ICN, as I can't find anything outside of Korea/Japan other than that date. I can't believe that there's no O inventory all the way out to end of schedule even on routes that we saw had tons of space during our little glimpse into KE award inventory earlier this year.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by mtkeller
It seems it's a fluke that that one day is showing inventory on DFW-ICN, as I can't find anything outside of Korea/Japan other than that date. I can't believe that there's no O inventory all the way out to end of schedule even on routes that we saw had tons of space during our little glimpse into KE award inventory earlier this year.
I just did it by choosing dates outside the blackout zone plus minus 3 days on departure and return and search all KE TPAC routes. I really don't have the time to do more of a searches for now.

It could be a fluke, but it is still there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.