Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What can I do with my load of Delta miles??? (210k worth)

Old Apr 13, 2012, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

I have been having an absolute horrible time for the past 2 years in using my skymiles. I've had 210k for the past 15+ years (well down from 700k) and every time I have a place I need to go, I can't get a ticket for a reasonable amount of miles. For 2 years I've been trying to get a few tickets to asia but seem to never be able to find a normal low rate of 70k miles the advertised. It's always 120k-200k for a ticket.

I mostly fly American these days instead (since I'm lifetime plat.) and I've been able to "trade" tickets with others from time to time with the skymiles but that's not easy to do with so many miles left and no easy avenue to do it safely.

The closest method I've found is using points.com for a couple small transaction but it hardly seems worth it when I have to pay hefty fees to do a trade of miles.

Anyone have any other reasonable suggestions? I'm getting tired of finding ways every year to extend the expiration date...
Old Apr 13, 2012, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
If you care to fly, origin and destination cities could allow targeted suggestions.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 4:38 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Miles no longer expire
Old Apr 13, 2012, 4:58 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
If you fly to Asia regularly, I was able to get a ticket S.E.Asia <> ATL BE on DL metal in low (120K). Those will be nearly impossible the other way unfortunately.

Partner airlines are quite easy to get though. You have to miss the blackout dates, but if passing that test they almost always work..You have to call, and even then ask the agent for the specific flights.

As to extending the expiration, I would suggest buying a left handed monkey wrench on DL Sky Market.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 5:22 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Unfortunately that is not a 'load' of miles anymore. All you can do is keep looking, but if you find a 'decent' deal I would jump on it because they are going to keep devaluing these things. Two years ago you could do a lot more with 210k IMO.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold

Far, far less than what you could do with this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-aa-miles.html

Of course, as EXP you already know this.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Deleted.

Last edited by vasantn; Apr 13, 2012 at 5:46 pm Reason: dupe
Old Apr 13, 2012, 5:49 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by macmedia
I have been having an absolute horrible time for the past 2 years in using my skymiles.

Anyone have any other reasonable suggestions? I'm getting tired of finding ways every year to extend the expiration date...
Currently, Delta miles don't expire...

That said, I like to save some for family emergencies .... and

I just used some to rent a car where I got 1.3 cents per mile.

Bob H
Old Apr 13, 2012, 6:11 pm

I'd load up Expert Flyer and look to book yourself a nice European vacation for you and a friend or SO. 2 business class tix r/t = 200k Delta Skymiles. Take a trip to Italy (JFK-FCO) (you should be able to find a lot of dates, if they are several months in advance, with 2 business class tix available on a single flight) or go to Paris (JFK-CDG) or both. These are easy redemptions to find and book by using Expert Flyer and calling up Delta. If you're willing to do more work, you can find tons of posts and ideas on FT on what you can do with 200k Skymiles.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 6:11 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
do you want to sit in Y or J?

Your best bet for Asia is to fly a partner carrier, but some of them have high taxes.

I would personally fly J.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 6:15 pm
inY

Might be able to get a domestic round trip *duck*.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 1:02 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
My suggestion:

Have a destination in mind and let 0 Hassle Awards help you make them worthwhile.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 5:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by JimBobDuggarIsABusyMan
My suggestion:

Have a destination in mind and let 0 Hassle Awards help you make them worthwhile.
Are you the person operating and profiting from this service? I've never heard of this blog before and would wonder what expertise this award ticket booking service might have.

MY SUGGESTION would be to look for space on the HND flights if a trip to Asia is desired. BE seems to be much more open than on the NRT flights and you should be able to find 120K BE tickets, especially around holiday periods.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by vasantn
Far, far less than what you could do with this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-aa-miles.html

Of course, as EXP you already know this.
Shall we count destinations available without paying fuel surcharges on that 3-Asian city, 11-European city AA network?
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:59 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SGC Gold, IHG Plat, Delta Diamond, Cont Gold, US Air Chairmans
Put 50k with it and go around the world in Biz class.

My ticket was purchased yesterday.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.