FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Goodbye SEA and SUX res...Friday 7/27 visit to Seattle with Discount Travel Codes (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1334646-goodbye-sea-sux-res-friday-7-27-visit-seattle-discount-travel-codes.html)

socrates Apr 16, 2012 4:39 am

Originally Posted by adamj023 (Post 18401263)
Sounds good to me. Reservations should be done online, and for those who can't it should be automated with a computerized voice system. I actually think hiring offshore reps is overkill and here is why:

Delta ought to have consumers have direct access to the reservation systems via the internet and voice systems tied to their reservation systems. Actually having representatives over the phone to me is actually overkill and to me quite frankly shows that if they need such, it means their automated systems are failing the customer and not intuitive enough so they are needing hand holding from a representative.

Delta should put funds into aircraft, hiring qualified onboard personnel and pilots and equipment and into maintaining the airplanes they fly as well as terminal expansions.

I don't think it is a sad day for the american worker at all, I think it has to do with priorities and moving forward and not worrying about folks losing their jobs so that the firm can better progress.

In fact, with the Delta orders for Boeing corporation jets, there are more jobs for workers building modern jets at factories, working on terminal expansion and construction jobs and I hope in the future, more aircraft expansions and more pilots needed to fly those jets and even more hirings for flight attendent jobs and crew members and the like.

Delta has indeed given jobs right back to America and lots of them too.

The airline industry is pretty well known as to what can be done transportation wise, and the future progression is also well established.

Dr. Wise is good....but she's not a miracle worker....I for one am glad you aren't in charge of DL (hint...banks tried your approach to business back in the 90's and 00's....the predictions of no more brink & mortar branches was well over hyped...in fact most banks are building, yes building new branches these days so they can have personal interaction with their customers)

TTT Apr 16, 2012 4:57 am

Since transfers are being offered to those in SEA and SUX I think the closures are more about real estate than offshoring.

mapsgl Apr 16, 2012 5:37 am

Originally Posted by ResSalesGuy (Post 18400168)
Just heard from some friends that DL would rather have customers call Jamaica to deal with outsourced reps than to keep SUX and SEA res offices open....Sad day for the American worker...thoughts?

Your friends must of only provided you with part of the story. This is dificult for individuals that have to deal with a decision about relocation to another city in the US, a different job within Delta, or look at a new opportunity.

This is about operating a smaller number of fully staffed call centers than 9 partially staffed centers.

TTT has it right in his post about Real Estate.

Not sure why you started another thread about SEA and SUX closing????

Flygirl is probably better informed about this issue. I hope DL realizes what a gem she is and offer her a job in Social Media.

Maps

MSPeconomist Apr 16, 2012 6:43 am

Sounds good to me. Reservations should be done online, and for those who can't it should be automated with a computerized voice system. I actually think hiring offshore reps is overkill and here is why:

Delta ought to have consumers have direct access to the reservation systems via the internet and voice systems tied to their reservation systems. Actually having representatives over the phone to me is actually overkill and to me quite frankly shows that if they need such, it means their automated systems are failing the customer and not intuitive enough so they are needing hand holding from a representative.

Delta should put funds into aircraft, hiring qualified onboard personnel and pilots and equipment and into maintaining the airplanes they fly as well as terminal expansions.

I don't think it is a sad day for the american worker at all, I think it has to do with priorities and moving forward and not worrying about folks losing their jobs so that the firm can better progress.

In fact, with the Delta orders for Boeing corporation jets, there are more jobs for workers building modern jets at factories, working on terminal expansion and construction jobs and I hope in the future, more aircraft expansions and more pilots needed to fly those jets and even more hirings for flight attendent jobs and crew members and the like.

Delta has indeed given jobs right back to America and lots of them too.

The airline industry is pretty well known as to what can be done transportation wise, and the future progression is also well established.

This sounds to me like you rarely actually fly DL. If you try to do a complicated reservation on line, try to upgrade with SWUs or miles, want to fly most DL partners, want to get an interesting award ticket, want a round trip routing with a connection on the outbound and nonstop return or vice versa, require particular fare classes, require different cabins for different segments of an itinerary, have schedule changes, suffer IROPs, etc. you absolutely need to be able to talk with a real person. This stuff cannot be handled on line by the passenger, no matter how expert and how willing to waste time doing DL's job. Phone trees similarly waste the customer's time, even more so for automated voice recognition customer service.

DLdweeb Apr 16, 2012 6:51 am

Actually having representatives over the phone to me is actually overkill and to me quite frankly shows that if they need such, it means their automated systems are failing the customer and not intuitive enough so they are needing hand holding from a representative.

Therein lies the issue. DL's IT is nowhere near the point that human interaction can be reduced, let alone eliminated. Indeed, it can be so frustrating for even the most tech savvy customer that it is probably driving up calls rather than eliminating them.

Vuelos Apr 16, 2012 7:56 am

Originally Posted by ResSalesGuy (Post 18400224)
The true irony is that DL would rather have you sit on hold and then send your call to Jamaice for everyone except PM/DM....it's a slap in the face of alot of fine people, and a total disregard for customer service....

What is the team in MBJ there for again?

I'm sure the union @ NW would have prevented this...

Then again, DL has led the in-sourcing of customer calls for years... But let's ignore that. 1/2 full offices like those mentioned by NWA/Deltaflygirl might have more to do with it than anything.

RRDD Apr 16, 2012 8:20 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 18401845)

1.... do a complicated reservation
2.... try to upgrade with SWUs or miles
3.... want to fly most DL partners
4.... want to get an interesting award ticket
5.... want a round trip routing with a connection on the outbound and nonstop return or vice versa
6.... require particular fare classes
7.... require different cabins for different segments of an itinerary
8.... have schedule changes
9.... suffer IROPs

Sounds like you are a pretty "high maintenance" passenger. I've flown 200 segments in the last 24 months and only needed assistance with #8 and #9. My smartphone app easily took care of those issues. I'm not sure why I should be footing the bill for call centers for "high maintenance" travellers that need the other services. Please help me understand why I should pay so that your complex issues can be resolved free of charge.

RRDD Apr 16, 2012 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Vuelos (Post 18402253)

... I'm sure the union @ NW would have prevented this...

Is that the same union that prevented NW from declaring bankruptcy?

fti Apr 16, 2012 8:38 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 18401845)
This sounds to me like you rarely actually fly DL. If you try to do a complicated reservation on line, try to upgrade with SWUs or miles, want to fly most DL partners, want to get an interesting award ticket, want a round trip routing with a connection on the outbound and nonstop return or vice versa, require particular fare classes, require different cabins for different segments of an itinerary, have schedule changes, suffer IROPs, etc. you absolutely need to be able to talk with a real person. This stuff cannot be handled on line by the passenger, no matter how expert and how willing to waste time doing DL's job. Phone trees similarly waste the customer's time, even more so for automated voice recognition customer service.

Originally Posted by DLdweeb (Post 18401897)
Therein lies the issue. DL's IT is nowhere near the point that human interaction can be reduced, let alone eliminated. Indeed, it can be so frustrating for even the most tech savvy customer that it is probably driving up calls rather than eliminating them.

+1000.

Originally Posted by RRDD (Post 18402404)
Sounds like you are a pretty "high maintenance" passenger. I've flown 200 segments in the last 24 months and only needed assistance with #8 and #9. My smartphone app easily took care of those issues. I'm not sure why I should be footing the bill for call centers for "high maintenance" travellers that need the other services. Please help me understand why I should pay so that your complex issues can be resolved free of charge.

I don't think MSPEconomist is "high maintenance" at all. I have had issues with many of the same things myself. So did you volunteer to pay DL more when you needed to call for #8 and #9 yourself, since in your own words you must be a "high maintenance" passenger if you need to call the airline? :confused:

crank1225 Apr 16, 2012 8:41 am

Originally Posted by hazelrah (Post 18391075)
The "City" doesn't choose, the federal government chooses. Essential Air Service (EAS) is a fair, open and competitive bidding process.

Has Delta won any EAS bid in the former NWA territory?

The federal government told the city to make the pick and they did. It was also the more expensive one. The "govt" then ratified it.

NWA/Deltaflygirl Apr 16, 2012 8:49 am

Most of the folks who have posted in this thread a are right - it's about the real estate more than anything else. DL outright owns it's buildings in some res offices, and rent in SEA is pretty ugly, especially for such underused space.

I'm sure DL have some kind of lease agreement 'down there', and I try not to think too much about those particular logistics, but rest assured, Delta is one of the few airlines that has it's call centers primarily in the US, and is a HUGE US employer - I swear, I think 90% of SLC's economy is supported by DL and Alanta will someday be renamed CNNCocacolaDeltaville ;).

It's not just the 'high maintenance' traveler who requires phone assistance. We have callers who don't even use a computer (a small percentage of my callers don't even have e-mail), I sure don't own a 'smart phone' (mine is a prepaid basic phone that suits me fine) Unaccompanied minors MUST have a phone rep (often correcting the fact that a 9 year old has been booked on the last red-eye flight of the night) some people PREFER to have the 'personal touch' - I can book award travel from two different accounts, a credit card ticket, and an UMR who's actually traveling with one adult one way, and an entirely different adult the other, AND get seat assignments in the bargain, in the space of 5 minutes - something ya can't do from a smart phone!

:cool:

RRDD Apr 16, 2012 8:55 am

Originally Posted by crank1225 (Post 18402556)
The federal government told the city to make the pick and they did. It was also the more expensive one. The "govt" then ratified it.

Why would Delta want to fly to SUX (~40,000 PAX per year) when FSD (~400,000) is 90 minutes to the north and OMA (~4,000,000) is 90 minutes to the south? The math seems pretty easy.

AUDirt Apr 16, 2012 9:05 am

Originally Posted by yohanson (Post 18377516)

There are no exceptions to Godwin's Law :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

itsaboutthejourney Apr 16, 2012 9:10 am

we used to be able to do most everything online, even on mobile, it was called nwa.com... but I guess the people now running res sales in Atlanta know better?

RRDD Apr 16, 2012 9:12 am

Originally Posted by fti (Post 18402526)
+1000.

I don't think MSPEconomist is "high maintenance" at all. I have had issues with many of the same things myself. So did you volunteer to pay DL more when you needed to call for #8 and #9 yourself, since in your own words you must be a "high maintenance" passenger if you need to call the airline? :confused:

I used my smartphone app to resolve #8 and #9. Never had to call the help line. Sorry I did make that clear. Come to think of it, I can not remember the last time I called an airline. Must have been around 1989 when I started using the Internet. Must be close to 1000 straight segments since I called.

Answer me this .... Do you really think that there will be any call centers at all by the year 2020? Isn't it inevitable that they will disappear.