FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Goodbye SEA and SUX res...Friday 7/27 visit to Seattle with Discount Travel Codes (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1334646-goodbye-sea-sux-res-friday-7-27-visit-seattle-discount-travel-codes.html)

DCBob May 8, 2012 6:05 am

Originally Posted by NWA/Deltaflygirl (Post 18527870)
Having a hell of a time logging int to FT - trying this...

OK, managed to reply to a couple PMs I think - anyway, hoping to stay in SEA if I can...

HIB will welcome you with open arms if you can't find another job in SEA.

DHalltheway May 9, 2012 9:37 am

DLroad

any update on meet up?

dcline414 May 9, 2012 9:58 am

Originally Posted by DHalltheway (Post 18542352)
DLroad

any update on meet up?

+1

I need to find low or low/mid award availability ATL-SEA to attend, as I have recently found myself in 'career transition'. I only have 48k RDMs banked, so the sooner I know the dates the more likely I will be able to attend.

The paid ticket prices start at $345 (depending on the dates chosen), but even that would be a lot for me to spend until I am again employed or contracted!

DLroads May 9, 2012 10:16 am

Originally Posted by DHalltheway (Post 18542352)
DLroad

any update on meet up?

Good morning DHalltheway, dcline414 and all!

Thank you for following up. We had 19 respondents to the check up survey. Great input, and thank you!

Updates:

(a) We are waiting for a confirmation from the SEA center director regarding the potential date. Given their transition period, they are very busy but I hope that I will get a reply before the weeked.

From the survey, two dates were highlighted as the best fit dates for flyertalkers and visitors to attend (Both were Fridays). One is slightly better fit than the other (by 1 respondent), so we will aim at that one first. It also falls well with the center, since weekends have lighter loads and they wish to have as many employees as possible for us to meet.

The general aim of the service center director and us is to make sure we will arrive at time that allows us to meet both those that are leaving the shift, and those comming to the new shift. This way, we can meet as many as possible.

(b) Canarsie has generously agreed to work on the design of the cards. We will have them printed for each staff member at the center. Thank you, Canarsie

We did set a paypal account for the event, and I've asked Canarsie (again) to serve as my advisor for expenses and make sure I put them into best use, which he generously agreed (thank you #2! I always like a second opinion).

(c) Catering: Do you know the 'top pot' doughnut in Seattle?
http://www.toppotdoughnuts.com/
It is a local famous (and amazing) place.
This would be the source for all 'nutrition' needs for the visitors and staff members. (+visitors can always go and buy few to take home...). So the plan is for donuts, coffee and mainly (as the service director requested)- us being there and saying thank you in person to the staff.

We will work all other special dietary needs of staff members or visitors.

(d) Special event(s) during the visit: We have sent our ideas and we are waiting to hear about them. I hope it will become fruitful.

We are still considering a local Seattle tour, if there would be a demand.

(e) Hotel group rate; I am outreaching to hotels to see what we can get. Given the fact that I am not experienced in this aspect, I have contacted a person who organized bigger DO's and got his advise on this. Thank you #3 is in place...

(f) Procedures (more to follow):
The center is an office building, which means that it requires everyone to have a valid ID (driver license/passport) when entering. We will work out the guest passes.
At the moment, it does not seem that we will need to go through an area that has 'airport type'/'tsa ready' security (e.g. no liquids), but I will keep everyone posted on that.

We did not work out yet the do's/don't regarding photographs in the events, but once I have detailed guidelines on that, I will follow as well.

I hope to come back to the thread with an additional update, mainly- date and time soon. Thank you for your patient, and big THANK YOU for standing up to help us say THANK YOU to the people who watch our travel needs.

dcline414 May 9, 2012 10:27 am

Originally Posted by DLroads (Post 18542599)
Thank you for following up. We had 19 respondents to the check up survey. Great input, and thank you!

Wow... thanks for the update, as well as for all the time and effort you've invested into making this happen DLroads!

NWA/Deltaflygirl May 9, 2012 11:37 am

We have a great wall in our office that is perfect for photo ops!

Of course yours truly works on a Friday, so if you DO get to listen in (I doubt they'd trust ME to host a listener, but you never know!) Our 'shift switch' tends to be between the hours of 1-3 for full time.

As for touring - Sat/Sundays are best for ME - Once the details get sorted, we'll see what can be arranged. I figure at least a visit to the Seattle Underground is in order (Waring, it's a walking tour, and a bit dusty/musty but a whole lot of fun).

I'm decidedly an 'off the beaten/ cheap and cheery' type, and will leave that whole weekend free to fit in around the visit - can't wait to see you all!

pleasantsn May 9, 2012 11:52 am

Top Pot is amazing! Before the recession, my office would regularly treat us, and their Maple Bars are famous around Seattle, especially popular with football players who just can't resist... http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm..._tate_and.html

Looks like things are progressing well. I'm a Seattle local, and hopefully I won't be traveling on the weekend of the DO, so I'll get to meet some of you and see the Res center before it goes. Let me know if you need any more Seattle advice.

andymo99 May 9, 2012 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by DLroads (Post 18542599)
...From the survey, two dates were highlighted as the best fit dates for flyertalkers and visitors to attend (Both were Fridays)...

I took the survey but don't remember what dates we were discussing. Can you be specific about which Fridays?

As for activities, I think that for this group, planners should consider:

NWA/Deltaflygirl May 9, 2012 12:55 pm

Museum of flight rocks, and it's pretty close to downtown (North of Sea-Tac, south of the city). You can do a walk through of Concord (my dad was on the design team for the nose and the landing gear) - The Boeing Factory tour is a bit farther North, and for the money, it's not too spectacular to be honest, but hey....

pleasantsn May 9, 2012 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by NWA/Deltaflygirl (Post 18543803)
Museum of flight rocks, and it's pretty close to downtown (North of Sea-Tac, south of the city). You can do a walk through of Concord (my dad was on the design team for the nose and the landing gear) - The Boeing Factory tour is a bit farther North, and for the money, it's not too spectacular to be honest, but hey....

Agreed. Boeing Factory Tour is up at Paine Field, which is going to be at least an hour drive from the airport. Seeing the factory floor that's "larger than Disneyland" is kind of cool I suppose.
I would also suggest visiting Seattle Center. The Dale Chihuly Glass Garden is opening May 21, and there are lots of 50th Anniversary Activities going on around the Needle. Although not aviation related, it'd be a good Seattle outing.

DLroads May 10, 2012 8:11 pm

Mark your schedules, hold phone calls, save the date-- Friday, July 27, 2012

Good evening all,

Thank you for your patient, and follow up. Let's start with the most important part:

Mark the date- Friday, July 27, 2012 will be the visit date of flyertalk in the SEA Customer Service Center. Our opprotunity to say THANK YOU in person to the dedicated members who always watch for our travel needs. I know you want to be there!

(A logo would show up here later, what is a flyertalk event without a logo?)

What's in the special activities plan?

Well, different things are in the works. But, the most important is that we will have the opprotunity to be there and thank the staff. They are LOOKING FORWARD to see us. After all, they have been 'dealing' with us for a while, and with a great smile.

We know that flyertalkers want/like to get some 'hands on' experience, such as the one Richard had--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrZmg...feature=relmfu
Or the one Ed had--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V908R...feature=relmfu

Any takers? can YOU handle clients as demanding as YOU? :cool:

More?
There is more to come. Please stay tuned (organizing DO's is not easy, why didn't anyone tell me that?)

Registration information would follow here (The usual, pricing, suggested donation, schedule, etc... housekeeping 'stuff' that makes it all look smooth and running even if it does not...)

Paypal:
I have received PM's and emails regarding the option to donate for the event even if not attending. I am very greatful for the offering, and all funds would be used to say thank you to the dedicated staff. If you cannot attend and still wish to contribute to our thank you event to the dedicated seattle group, you may do so using paypal, check, transfer to :

paypal-
[email protected]

Canarsie (Thank you), as a respected member of the forum and of flyertalk has agreed to serve as my "second opinion/advisor/verifier" (How would we define it exactly?--- The "DO" MENTOR! , Thank you DHalltheway) for all expenses. Thank you again Canarsie for your willingness to bring your time, experience and expertise to the cause. ^

I have created the account and made it paypal verified earlier this week (May 7, if I recall correctly)
https://www.paypal.com/us/verified/p...%40gmail%2ecom

https://www.paypal.com/us/verified/p...%40gmail%2ecom

If you wish to use a check, transfer, etc. please PM me for directions and address.

Hotel info:
We are working on it, to be followed. Remember, it is also a function of the demand (so if you are planning on using it, please pm me so I can 'estimate the demand)

Korean:
Did I remind that I am still short of one Korean speaker to help me with the thank you cards in Korean? If not, that's the time to remind.
Other logistic issues:
Individuals who identify themselves as Japanese, Mandarin and Cantonese speakers, please expect to receive PM's tomorrow morning.

Well, more will follow, as we are looking forward to get into Seattle.

Thank you all,

DLroads

DHalltheway May 10, 2012 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by DLroads (Post 18553140)
Canarsie (Thank you), as a respected member of the forum and of flyertalk has agreed to serve as my "second opinion/advisor/verifier" (How would we define it exactly?)

How about DM? (DO Mentor)

PS: Thanks for organizing this DLroads!

DHalltheway May 10, 2012 10:51 pm

Oh my gosh.

I was looking up fares to get to SEA from BOS.

600-700 bucks for that trip!:eek:

WillTvl4Food May 11, 2012 12:16 am

That's one concern about going to SEA during the summer--high fares due to all the cruise traffic. Hopefully the fares or mileage levels will even out so that all who wish to attend can do so!

dcline414 May 11, 2012 6:55 am

Originally Posted by DHalltheway (Post 18553725)
Oh my gosh.

I was looking up fares to get to SEA from BOS.

600-700 bucks for that trip!:eek:

Fares are a bit better out of ATL ($420), but would be $40 cheaper on FL... Is that allowed?? :eek:

I wanted to use miles, but all low award tiers for F and Y disappeared since earlier this week. :(