Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Pricing Lost Its Mind

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2012, 9:41 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by sushi lover
It always amazes me when people come on here and complain about ticket prices. Do you know how sophisticated airline revenue departments are? They know virtually everything going on in every destination down to the hour. If there is a convention or festival in a city 10 months from now, the airlines know about it. They know when the demand will be heavy and price accordingly. Why wouldn't they? Is that not the nature of business? Especially a business where an empty seat is lost forever. If DL thinks they can get X amount for a last minute J fare to where ever it is because they probably have in the past and will continue to do so. It seems most of the folks on here are in business of some sort and requires selling things, don't you also price your product to maximize profit?
They know everything except what their pricing pattern does to the long travel behavior of their customer, and because they don't know they pretend like it's not important. As I've said they absolutely know how to maximize revenue on any given flight, but they're doing it in a way that does not maximize revenue per customers and result in a significant loss of business over the long run.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:57 am
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by 5khours
They know everything except what their pricing pattern does to the long travel behavior of their customer, and because they don't know they pretend like it's not important. As I've said they absolutely know how to maximize revenue on any given flight, but they're doing it in a way that does not maximize revenue per customers and result in a significant loss of business over the long run.
There are enough customers out there now that by maximizing revenue for all their individual flights, they will simply find the customers; either customers who choose to stay loyal, or new ones who will pay the ticket prices. Overall, they don't lose business over the long run, esepcially with global travel demand rising, or at least staying constant.

And it's not just Delta - all airlines are doing this, so when DL loses a customer to AA, they gain one from UA. No difference in net revenue.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Of course it could just be an error/IT glitch and moving onto the next page the price reverts to something more sensible,

Happened to me on expedia once - fare came up as £10k+ clicked on it to see it was real but on the next page it dropped down to £1k and a 'price change' warning too.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by keeton
...or ATL-EWR...or even ATL-BNA. If there is no LCC competition, DL puts the screws to you. It can be over $500/hr in coach!

I just did a quick check from DTW-PVG for next week and there were plenty of flights in BE for "only" $11,086 (fare class = I). The OP must have hit it on a bad day.
DL isn't "screwing" anyone. If you wonder how air carriers provide el cheapo $400 TCON's, it's through TPAC premium. Fares are based on market demand and there's demand. Just looked at IAD-PEK for Friday-Sunday RT and it's $23K on AA, $20 on UA, and $19K on EK (all different routes). That's pretty much in line with DL's $17K xORD.

The folks here who self-righteously determine what's the right price to pay based on their company's business model and pricing structure are just plain wrong. That may work for them, but if you're in a business where you bill $1,000/hour or more and you cut a day off travel because you're ready to hit the ground running, that's worth a $8K/day differential just on an 8-hour day.

Some people travel set routes months in advance. Others seize business opportunities when they arise. Anybody who won't spend $20K to make $1 Million isn't really in a for-profit business !
Old Mar 28, 2012, 2:44 pm
Suspended

IMHO - The airlines are shooting themselves in the foot with this kind of pricing. First it just pisses people off to be treated like suckers and idiots. Second, you get enough of this kind of idiocy, and it changes your travel philosophy. You get people resigned to flying in Y, or not traveling, or traveling somewhere else, or traveling on another carrier with more transparent pricing.

And BTW - corporate travel policies that allow this kind of irresponsible pricing are mostly to blame. If I were a shareholder and found out someone was buying a $17k air ticket on a commercial carrier, I'd have them fired.... regardless of the circumstances.
What company that you know of allows shareholders to hire and fire anybody?

And, even if shareholders made personnel decisions, how can you possibly say that spending $17K is too much?
Old Mar 28, 2012, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
What company that you know of allows shareholders to hire and fire anybody?

And, even if shareholders made personnel decisions, how can you possibly say that spending $17K is too much?
Just about every company that is not public, and for those that are public the Board and CEO will definitely listen to and (often) do what a major shareholder requests.

$17k is way too much any way you think about it.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 4:49 pm
Suspended

Just about every company that is not public, and for those that are public the Board and CEO will definitely listen to and (often) do what a major shareholder requests.

$17k is way too much any way you think about it.
So if a business opportunity which would net my company $1 Mill arises today and requires a meeting in PEK on Friday and I have to be back for a Monday meeting on the East Coast and the best price on an F/J ticket is $17K, your business advice is not to take the trip and pass on the revenue because the ticket is too expensive or I ought to sit in steerage and arrive too exhausted to walk off the plane and be at the top of my game?

To be frank, so long as the business opportunity nets $17K+$1 + utility cost of my time, only a fool passes on it. Lotta small-minded companies with small-minded business people circling very large drains out there.

Hear of any companies making decisions like that and I'd love to put the shareholders in touch with a plaintiffs' lawyer who does shareholder derivative actions !
Old Mar 28, 2012, 5:48 pm

So if a business opportunity which would net my company $1 Mill arises today and requires a meeting in PEK on Friday and I have to be back for a Monday meeting on the East Coast and the best price on an F/J ticket is $17K, your business advice is not to take the trip and pass on the revenue because the ticket is too expensive or I ought to sit in steerage and arrive too exhausted to walk off the plane and be at the top of my game?

To be frank, so long as the business opportunity nets $17K+$1 + utility cost of my time, only a fool passes on it. Lotta small-minded companies with small-minded business people circling very large drains out there.

Hear of any companies making decisions like that and I'd love to put the shareholders in touch with a plaintiffs' lawyer who does shareholder derivative actions !
Obviously depends on who's footing the bill. When someone else is paying, of course you have to go now and you have to be in F. I know. I used to work at a major financial firm and consistently had the highest travel expenses in the firm... and closed million dollar deals on every trip. I know the arguments and would use them again if it were someone else' money. But I can tell you from the perspective of someone footing the bill, there are almost no deals that can't wait a day for a cheaper fare or fail because Ambien and a seat in Y didn't do the job.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 6:52 pm
Suspended

Obviously depends on who's footing the bill. When someone else is paying, of course you have to go now and you have to be in F. I know. I used to work at a major financial firm and consistently had the highest travel expenses in the firm... and closed million dollar deals on every trip. I know the arguments and would use them again if it were someone else' money. But I can tell you from the perspective of someone footing the bill, there are almost no deals that can't wait a day for a cheaper fare or fail because Ambien and a seat in Y didn't do the job.
True. But, I'm not willing to do that. Same thing as salary and other aspects of compensation.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 7:16 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Originally Posted by bpe
There are enough customers out there now that by maximizing revenue for all their individual flights, they will simply find the customers; either customers who choose to stay loyal, or new ones who will pay the ticket prices. Overall, they don't lose business over the long run, esepcially with global travel demand rising, or at least staying constant.
None of that has much bearing on reality.

-There are never "enough customers out there" for anything that isn't a fixed or diminishing resource.
-They won't simply find the customers. That isn't how markets work.
+The new ones WILL pay the ticket prices or they wouldn't be new, but that's just circular reasoning.
-Businesses that raise prices without concern for the demand side of the equation do in fact lose business over the long run
-The types of global demand that might be rising have nothing to do with US legacy carriers.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by RacingJunkie
Had a couple of people on here call me stupid for suggesting that. Delta has lost its mind.
Free market. Nothing wrong here. There is plenty of potential competition.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 8:06 pm

True. But, I'm not willing to do that. Same thing as salary and other aspects of compensation.
That was my position exactly when I got called on the carpet by the head of the firm. "If I don't go in F, I'm not going." So let me ask you two questions. 1) If your employer said, you can buy the $17k tickets or we'll reimburse $5k a trip for airfare and give you $300k a year in cash (assuming you're doing 2 TPACs a month like I was), would you still be buying the $17k tickets. And 2) If the choice was keep your flights under $5k or your fired, would you walk?

Honest answers only
Old Mar 28, 2012, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I booked some BOS-PEK flights last month for $3k, the next day prices changed to $6k. That's how it goes, prices change all the time based on the market. Last minute is always a bad choice.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 8:26 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by mother-
None of that has much bearing on reality.

-There are never "enough customers out there" for anything that isn't a fixed or diminishing resource.
-They won't simply find the customers. That isn't how markets work.
+The new ones WILL pay the ticket prices or they wouldn't be new, but that's just circular reasoning.
-Businesses that raise prices without concern for the demand side of the equation do in fact lose business over the long run
-The types of global demand that might be rising have nothing to do with US legacy carriers.
Global demand as a whole is rising, which means that, according to supply and demand, prices will go up. Capacity (supply) is essentially a fixed resource in the short to medium term - in the long term it can grow, but airlines are also cutting back on capacity and growth given fuel prices and other costs.

But last-minute pricing really is a case of limited supply, often monopolistic. For instance, there is only one nonstop flight from DTW to PVG within the next 24 hours with (let's say) 3 business class seats. No more than that. Day to day demand might differ, but it's clearly there. Therefore, prices will be high.
(If you want to consider other flights with stops within 24 hours, they exist too, but they are different products. And even with them, there are still only a dozen or so reasonable combination of flights, all with limited numbers of seats, so again, supply is quite limited.)

They are paying attention to demand as well as supply. It's just impossible to please people who aren't willing to pay market prices.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
That was my position exactly when I got called on the carpet by the head of the firm. "If I don't go in F, I'm not going." So let me ask you two questions. 1) If your employer said, you can buy the $17k tickets or we'll reimburse $5k a trip for airfare and give you $300k a year in cash (assuming you're doing 2 TPACs a month like I was), would you still be buying the $17k tickets. And 2) If the choice was keep your flights under $5k or your fired, would you walk?

Honest answers only
Of course I doubt there is one person on FT who would take the $17K flight instead of the $5K flight plus $12K cash. I'm sure there are some who would walk in your second scenario and are able to find another similar job, however. Probably still the minority I imagine.

If as an employer I found it necessary for any reason to routinely send my employees on flights that ran $17K in F I would do one of the following:

- buy Starpoints at $.035/each. After a transfer to AA even a redemption at the AAnytime award R/T in F to Asia for 270K miles would only run ~$8K. Plenty of availability at the SAAver levels that would only be ~$4K.

- hire mileage runners employed by the firm and use their RDMs. Plenty of people would do this merely in exchange for free flights, EQM, and the various other benefits.

A firm with these kind of flight needs that actually spends $17K in CASH is clearly not operating an efficient travel department. Any savvy FTer could save such a firm hundreds of thousands per year. I would also think a large firm doing this routinely would have a corporate discount with their preferred carrier and certainly not pay $17K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.