Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Pricing Lost Its Mind

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2012, 1:07 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Marriott Gold, Hilton, Hertz
Originally Posted by 5khours
IMHO - The airlines are shooting themselves in the foot with this kind of pricing. First it just pisses people off to be treated like suckers and idiots. Second, you get enough of this kind of idiocy, and it changes your travel philosophy. You get people resigned to flying in Y, or not traveling, or traveling somewhere else, or traveling on another carrier with more transparent pricing.

And BTW - corporate travel policies that allow this kind of irresponsible pricing are mostly to blame. If I were a shareholder and found out someone was buying a $17k air ticket on a commercial carrier, I'd have them fired.... regardless of the circumstances.
I agree-my company uses Carlson Wagonlit, and if you purchase a ticket that is $50 more than the least expensive reasonable alternative you have to justify up to senior VP level. As an employee and shareholder I support that.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 1:20 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by CJKatl
If you think $500/hour of flight time is obscene, then you haven't priced an LUT ATL-DFW since FL/WN pulled the route!
...or ATL-EWR...or even ATL-BNA. If there is no LCC competition, DL puts the screws to you. It can be over $500/hr in coach!

I just did a quick check from DTW-PVG for next week and there were plenty of flights in BE for "only" $11,086 (fare class = I). The OP must have hit it on a bad day.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 1:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by c_d
Second that. Booked and travelled on a last minute TATL last week. BE over the pond was wide open but they wanted $8k+ for a crappy recliner between DTW and AMS (763). Y was $780 a/i r/t from TX to Germany. In flight, only around 10 BE seats were occupied. But with that difference in price, unfortunately there is no reasonable way how I can justify buying BE.
That right there is why I would never buy a BE seat, especially on a DELTA 767...until all refurbs are complete, Delta 767's SUCK. They need to take a que from AirCanada. AC has AVOD + Power in every seat, economy and BE. Anyways, back to the point, an old 767 with a recliner seat for $8,000 more over the economy seat...give me a break, I don't care how much money you have, that is foolish!

If I do pay for J out of my own pocket, I'd be wise and choose CX, SQ, EK, or Eithad, or QR. The miles and status don't even matter at that point. It's about the product and the service that I will receive.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 1:37 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by liuenci
Just looking at last minute pricing for DTW-PVG and RT business is pricing out at $17,833. How can they with a straight face have a price like this. This is over $500 an hour of flight time.....how can they do this??
The pricing for a walk up round-trip ticket in J on DL/AF between IAD and northern UK airports such as EDI and NCL has been in excess of $10k for at least 3 years (6.5 hours eastbound and 7.5 hours westbound IAD-CDG, and about 1.5 hours each way between EDI and CDG). More than $500 per hour.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 2:41 pm

Programs: DL silver,Hilton Gold,Marriott,VA,Amex Plat,Hertz Gold
DTW-LGA for end of June now $732 was $877 last week 90 plus days out...
Old Mar 27, 2012, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by keeton
...or ATL-EWR...or even ATL-BNA. If there is no LCC competition, DL puts the screws to you. It can be over $500/hr in coach!
I don't think ATL-EWR is a good example. IME, a T fare ATL-EWR is the same price as a T fare ATL-LGA (where FL/WN is a LCC). It's just that there are fewer ATL-EWR flights and they are on smaller planes so the pool is less.

That said, ATL-NYC has just been obscene lately.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 7:08 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
IMHO - The airlines are shooting themselves in the foot with this kind of pricing. First it just pisses people off to be treated like suckers and idiots. Second, you get enough of this kind of idiocy, and it changes your travel philosophy. You get people resigned to flying in Y, or not traveling, or traveling somewhere else, or traveling on another carrier with more transparent pricing.
Well, this pricing strategy is probably working out for them rather than hurting them, since they are still doing it. It's just supply and demand. Business traffic between the US and China is strong, so there could very well be only 1 or 2 free seats left in J - hence the limited supply.

I don't really see how airlines are treating anyone like suckers or idiots - if you're buying a ticket at that price, you either are a sucker or an idiot (probably not), or it really is worth it that much to you. As others have said, time is money, and there could be very good reason to spend $18k on such a flight. If it's not worth that much, then fly some other time, somewhere else, with some other airline, in economy... There are plenty of other choices.

Also, I can't think of any carrier with more 'transparent' pricing for international flights. Domestically you might have WN and B6, but even they can be expensive on last minute flights, and they don't have business/first class.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by gator21
Pricing has been weird. Bought a ticket on Friday $600+. Canceled Saturday. Repurchased Sunday (exact same itinary) for $450+. Even booked the exact same seats.
You just reduced your but-what-have-you-done-for-us-lately customer value score.

Old Mar 27, 2012, 7:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, SkyClub, CO, AA, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by liuenci
RT business is pricing out at $17,833.
How far off from a private jet is that??? jeeez.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
Originally Posted by NYCsoundguy
How far off from a private jet is that??? jeeez.
G550 is going to be almost $250k R/T = Pretty far off. Exponential increase that even the 1% have trouble justifying. However, if you need to get 10 pax there in a hurry the economics get better.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
IMHO - The airlines are shooting themselves in the foot with this kind of pricing. First it just pisses people off to be treated like suckers and idiots.
Actually I don't think too many people/companies who pay these rates really care...if they did the travelers would be flying coach.

I'm pretty certain that if discount coach fares were 2-3x more expensive instead of being subsidized by the OPM (other people's money) fares it would piss off a greater number of customers.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 1:40 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO
G550 is going to be almost $250k R/T = Pretty far off. Exponential increase that even the 1% have trouble justifying. However, if you need to get 10 pax there in a hurry the economics get better.
That's about right. Per flight hour TPAC is quite expensive for GA because of staging/scheduling issues.

I'm pretty certain that if discount coach fares were 2-3x more expensive instead of being subsidized by the OPM (other people's money) fares it would piss off a greater number of customers.
My heart bleeds for them. Actually I think the issue is not so much that the coach is being subsidized, but that the airlines are trying maximize revenue per flight instead of per customers. They're driving a lot of traffic away which they can't measure because it happens over a longer period of time. Conference calls instead of face to face meetings. Weekends trips to Florida off the radar screen. Automatic decision to drive anything under several hundred miles, etc.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Yeah I saw a DL J fare US-PVG one-time at $18K. And to think DL uses this to justify never having low...
Old Mar 28, 2012, 9:00 am

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Or they are just trying to compensate for the 737 they lost....lol
Old Mar 28, 2012, 9:02 am

Programs: DAL-PM
It always amazes me when people come on here and complain about ticket prices. Do you know how sophisticated airline revenue departments are? They know virtually everything going on in every destination down to the hour. If there is a convention or festival in a city 10 months from now, the airlines know about it. They know when the demand will be heavy and price accordingly. Why wouldn't they? Is that not the nature of business? Especially a business where an empty seat is lost forever. If DL thinks they can get X amount for a last minute J fare to where ever it is because they probably have in the past and will continue to do so. It seems most of the folks on here are in business of some sort and requires selling things, don't you also price your product to maximize profit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.