Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles Change Rumor?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2012, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
They already have a revenue based loyalty system, Sky Bonus.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
I'm not a high value customer, I know that.
On AA I buy N, O, Q fares, on AC I buy T, L, K fares, and on CX I buy V, L fares.
(Those are equivalent to DL sLUT fares)
Then shouldn't better rewards go to those that are more-profitable? Honestly...most of you claim to be business people. This is common sense.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by bubbashow
PLEASE ANSWER THIS FOR ME

EVERYONE on FT claims to be a high-value customer, yet nobody wants a fare-based system? If you REALLY were half as valuable to DL as you claim, it would seem that a fare-based system would FINALLY acknowledge your contribution, wouldn't it?
Another childish post. Where do you get that everyone here claims to be a HVC?
Old Mar 19, 2012, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by vasantn
Sorry to over-generalize, but seriously...MANY of you make this claim. Answer the question. If you are, there shouldn't be a problem.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 3:48 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
One random thought...

DL seems to like being in the business of selling miles - whether direct to consumers or to CCs or third party etc. At $800+ for 25,000 miles, I think you'd have to be out of your mind, but we digress.

How will DL reconcile that if miles are going to have a "per cent" cost in terms of redemption?
Old Mar 19, 2012, 3:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver, A3 Gold, EK Gold, HH Gold, Sixt Dmd
How much more can they devaluate Skypesos? Mile-for-mile it's already by far the least valuable relative to all the other major US airlines..
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I am particularly interested in how this will affect mileage earning on the AMEX side, and whether this will make the credit card side more or less appealing to customers
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by jsmith50
Which is precisely why SM is a FREQUENT FLYER program and not a high value customer program. In effect, to make the system revenue driven, it is no longer a frequent flyer program and is now a pay-to-play program. But, people sign up for FF programs, they don't sign up for pay-to-play programs unless they've got serious bucks to spend on plane tix which is the precise market, in many ways, that DL Private Jets cater to. As a result of this type of change, my guess is that we will see a reduction in the number of new SM members with this type of program as well. What's the benefit to the average joe flyer who takes 1-2 trips per year and hopes that with non-expiring SMs that over time, he'll be able to trade those SMs in for an award trip? Now you've discouraged that person from signing up and paying for a ticket that costs hundreds more than the low cost carrier where he also gets free bags(cough, WN). This could be deadly just here in ATL alone with WN moving in and trying to make a name for themselves.
Don't forget B6
Old Mar 19, 2012, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by vasantn
Some who perceive themselves to be HVC choose to criticize others for perceiving themselves to be HVC.

Now you've discouraged that person from signing up and paying for a ticket that costs hundreds more than the low cost carrier where he also gets free bags(cough, WN). This could be deadly just here in ATL alone with WN moving in and trying to make a name for themselves.

Which happens to be THE airline that started with the revenue-based FF system.

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG

EVERYONE on FT claims to be a high-value customer, yet nobody wants a fare-based system? If you REALLY were half as valuable to DL as you claim, it would seem that a fare-based system would FINALLY acknowledge your contribution, wouldn't it?
SURE - I'll answer. I'd say that a significant number of FT'ers (why, dozens in this thread today alone!) have openly said that they buy the lowest fares - be they sLUT or otherwise. So I think your claim is wrong in the first instance.

Second, I have a problem with redemption even moreso than earning. If it means that the number of miles goes up into the several hundred thousands or even the millions to redeem for Intl TPAC/TATL J-Class as a result of redemptions being based on a per cent value against full J fares, then I'd say yes - there would be a problem here for many of us with such a fare-based system. In real terms, it could mean massive devaluing of skymiles - for which many people have been earning and saving for many years - by incredible factors. And presumably despite "paying" for that J fare with hundreds of thousands (millions?) of miles, one would not enjoy the flexibility that comes with buying a J fare in cash. @:-)
Old Mar 19, 2012, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Some who perceive themselves to be HVC choose to criticize others for perceiving themselves to be HVC.

I have NO IDEA how I would shake out in the new system (if it indeed comes about). However, I can see DL wanting to dump a bunch of LUT elites on whom they are wasting perks. If they can give those that are truly contributing high profit margins and monitize the rest, they might be much-better off than giving a year's worth of upgrades to someone that found a mistake fare to SIN and flew it 5 times.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 4:00 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM

Since I have leeway to book UP fares and full F, the 'acknowledgement' really doesn't mean much to me. But, I am aware, I am an outlier to this equation. I have been continuing to earn miles on DL because I am very close to 4MM. Presuming they don't take away the 'yearly complimentary PM status' that goes with it, that could be at least somewhat useful were I to decide to leave my current situation. I have been sorely tempted to try another airline at times. Especially since in a number of cases I have paid a premium to fly DL for those miles. Since I will have DM for 2013 locked in next month, this might be the perfect time to try a challenge/match with another airline--depending on what else they do to the program at DL (ie perhaps kill rollover, make miles more worthless etc.). Or not. Time will tell.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 4:01 pm

I've been expecting this day for a while. Can't really blame Delta. If this is implemented, I am done with SM. Yes, I am a low-value, low-profit margin customer. But the fact is that those high-value customers will not fly weekends and holidays in seats left empty by me. Anyway, take a look at the discussion about Mileage Plus from last year, it's the same story all over.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by dw
I am particularly interested in how this will affect mileage earning on the AMEX side, and whether this will make the credit card side more or less appealing to customers
They could continue giving the CC users lounge passes and free bags, and priority boarding.

Then shouldn't better rewards go to those that are more-profitable? Honestly...most of you claim to be business people. This is common sense.
I like the system as it is, as it takes us to maximize earning opportunity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.