Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Day Care...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2012, 8:59 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by samlev01
I guess I can see both sides of the issue. There have been many flights where I have been upgraded while traveling with the family and I typically have given my upgrade to my 13yr old son.
The Unaccompanied Minor Program is required for all children 5-14 years old when not traveling in the same compartment with an adult at least 18 years old or the child's parent/legal guardian. The program is optional for children age 15 17.
There is a reason for this - As mature or fun your 13 year old may be - he's 2 years out from being able to travel alone.

Sorry - but redistribution of upgrades and violating Delta rules comes across as some DYKWIA stunt.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 9:35 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (GM)
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Keep in mind this was MCO-DTW...
So, this is two families coming back from a vacation to WDW/Universal/SeaWorld. If the kids are anything like mine, they would be pretty wound up on that flight.

So, the extreme behavior might have been out of character but it definitely should not have been unexpected.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:42 am

Programs: DL DM, EY Plat, MM Senator
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

In this case, I think DL should have met the flight at the gate with a bill for UM fees for the kids.
THAT should have happened, but sounds like FAs did not care, neither to rectify the situation on board nor to do anything about it on the ground.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:19 am

Did any of the PAX that were immediately affected speak to the kids directly asking them to be quiet? If I was was being directly affected, I would have requested the FAs do something and if not, I would do something - like drag the kids back into coach to have it out with their couldn't care less parents.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:22 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by SeaClay007
IMHO, this boils down to poor parenting. The FAs, to be sure, could have done something to mitigate the situation, but the primary responsibility lies with the fathers.

My children have been flying since my youngest was two and I never tolerated any bad behavior on their part. I set the rules before their first trip: be quiet, do not run around, do not kick seats in front of you, be polite to the FAs and it worked.
You are right and instead of banning this practice just start enforcing decent behavior BUT dont single out the kids for enforcement. I am had a similar flight to this but it was adults. Best I could tell it was 4 couple of which 5 of 8 got up graded or were in FC. They decided to share the space with all 8 while drinking to excess, loud talking, and crowding the aisles.

My kids were raised like yours. After about age 4 they were great travelling companions and I could take them anywhere and get nothing but compliments on there behavior. Can you still spank a kid in the Skyclub or on a plane? Just curious. I mean just one time tha'ts all.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 12:12 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Sometimes ticketed minors get upgraded or booked into the forward cabin before related adults. At least some FTers have minor children with higher FF program status than even most DL Medalions.
This is a real phenomenon. My 2 kids are 3 years apart. My oldest I used to take with me frequently when I travelled and he had the same category of elite status (whatever was the highest back then) that I did. When we'd travel as a family, my 6 year old had higher status than my wife and most of the people hoping for an upgrade. Imagine, when they call out a 6-year old's name for a gate upgrade, the looks you get from other pax who are even more horribly offended that a 6 year old got the UG than a non-rev! None-the-less that's not the issue here and these parents should have been forced to fix the problem or been removed from the plane before it ever left the gate.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 2:58 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by ElPresidente
You could have offered to teach them about Poker or suggested how much fun it would be to grab the food cart and race it up and down the aisle. I suspect after being the "bad influence" Uncle, either the FA or the parents would have seen the .light.it.
Perfect opportunity to ask the little boy, "Do you like gladiator movies?"

(The above I would only try on a bratty pest, not a well-behaved child ff'er..

Last edited by Bowgie; Feb 28, 2012 at 3:05 pm
Old Feb 28, 2012, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL Kettel, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by Bowgie
Perfect opportunity to ask the little boy, "Do you like gladiator movies?"
Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

Love that movie lol
Old Feb 28, 2012, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
"hey, I recognize the registered sex offender in 5A who prefers kids in the 5-8 range."
Poor 5A

Originally Posted by SMWinnie
So, this is two families coming back from a vacation to WDW/Universal/SeaWorld. If the kids are anything like mine, they would be pretty wound up on that flight.

So, the extreme behavior might have been out of character but it definitely should not have been unexpected.
Actually, I believe they were in MCO for the NBA All Star Weekend based on the attire and the fact they were playing some basketball game on their IPhone, without headphones mind you....

Last edited by Crazyhotelguy; Feb 28, 2012 at 7:56 pm
Old Feb 28, 2012, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by mikepa
Did any of the PAX that were immediately affected speak to the kids directly asking them to be quiet? If I was was being directly affected, I would have requested the FAs do something and if not, I would do something - like drag the kids back into coach to have it out with their couldn't care less parents.
As previously stated, the guy next to me confronted dad 2. Dad 2 looked dumbfounded that anyone would question him...

I think the parents were just so oblivious to the fact that it is not acceptable to let the village raise your children.... There ought to be a license to breed.... Just sayin'
Old Feb 28, 2012, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
As previously stated, the guy next to me confronted dad 2. Dad 2 looked dumbfounded that anyone would question him...

I think the parents were just so oblivious to the fact that it is not acceptable to let the village raise your children.... There ought to be a license to breed.... Just sayin'
+1^
Old Feb 28, 2012, 8:08 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich

there's something on the tip of my tongue...village...idiot...damnit, someone please help me with this!
Old Feb 28, 2012, 8:35 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
Well, at least these creepy parents seem like outliers. Most parents want to sit next to their offspring, in my experience. I certainly do. I mean, well, I'd rather sit by myself on the plane and swill the HOOU hooch, but given the choice between letting the preschoolers manage a flight alone or my managing them, I'd prefer the latter. And would never presume that a flight attendant should watch over my little devil.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA Advantage Gold, Rapid Rewards A list, Sky Miles Gold Medallion, Hilton Honors Diamond
I don't know if everyone remembers the AA FA who gave a FAA caution/citation to a fc passenger asking for orange juice on a smf to DFW flight. I think this is much more worthy of a caution than asking for orange juice at the wrong time.

It sounds like DL needs to clarify their policy and enforce it.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 9:08 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by fti
I believe what happened was wrong and that the kids should have had UM status (I had just the opposite happened on one of my flights - mom & dad were up front but the two kids kept coming up front to "visit.").

However, if parents were UG'd you know as well as I do that pax swap UG's all the time. It doesn't matter if the kid's feet can touch the floor or not - that is not the issue. Nor is the length of the UG list an issue. I would write DL about it, but keep things like this out of the correspondence, since it really is irrelevant (or the subject for another entirely different complaint of using or losing your own UG).
Yes, but there was a recent thread about "FA took away my upgrade for switching seats!" and in that thread it came out that the policy is that if you give up your seat you lose the UG and the next person on the list gets it--you can't give it to someone farther down the list or who otherwise would not have been UGed. The policy should have been applied in this case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.