Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Day Care...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2012, 6:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by fdog
I've always said this, tounge-in-cheek:

DL should hand out transmitters, for dog-training shock collars, to all the pax seated around noisy PITA children.

.....the shock collars themselves should go on the parents.

[/daydream]

All the best, James
I think they should have those available at restaurants, movie theatres, stores, etc.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by 53flyer
OP reported that it was 2 Dad's, so breeding isn't a possibility.
It.was two couplestravelling together. The dad's were the only ones that came into F
Old Feb 28, 2012, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by PRWeezer
Beyond the point that the OP addressed the parental situation, plenty of non-traditional families have figured out how to have children.
Exactly...
Old Feb 28, 2012, 8:04 am

A resonable alternative

I have been upgraded before in a similar situation - 2 parents & 2 children (under 7). 2 people get upgraded - who takes the upgrade?

To be fair, we "split" the upgrade as 1 parent & 1 child up front and in back. We then switched half way during the flight - after the meal.

During the bathroom break part of the switch, the FA told us it was not policy to allow people to switch during the flight, but they allowed it anyway.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 8:08 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Sky Club
Not a fair or nice move by the parents. Yes, they got their little break from their kids but others paid for it. I like the comment from the guy asking if they felt this was their private plane.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 8:18 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by nogophers
Not a fair or nice move by the parents. Yes, they got their little break from their kids but others paid for it. I like the comment from the guy asking if they felt this was their private plane.
I have a problem with this in general terms. Delta provides its frequent fliers a complimentary upgrade when space is available. What makes the frequent flier believe that this upgrade is now his to distribute to whomever he sees fit?
Old Feb 28, 2012, 8:26 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Bicostal
I have a problem with this in general terms. Delta provides its frequent fliers a complimentary upgrade when space is available. What makes the frequent flier believe that this upgrade is now his to distribute to whomever he sees fit?
I agree very much, but every time I express this on FT a bunch of people jump in saying that it's their upgrade and they will give it to whomever they want.

In this case, I think DL should have met the flight at the gate with a bill for UM fees for the kids.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 8:27 am

Programs: DL MM Gold
Originally Posted by Bicostal
What makes the frequent flier believe that this upgrade is now his to distribute to whomever he sees fit?
Because they likely view the boarding pass like it's a blanket, amenity kit, or other tangible item - which can be transferred from hand to hand. They probably don't see it as an intangible - the seat assignment - which may not be transferable.

How else would the practice of passing off a first class seat to a uniformed service member be justified?
Old Feb 28, 2012, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
"Hey, kids, I have this great film on my personal DVD player. Wanna watch? It's called 'Porky's' and it's about pigs."

Mike
Old Feb 28, 2012, 8:45 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
"hey, I recognize the registered sex offender in 5A who prefers kids in the 5-8 range."
Old Feb 28, 2012, 8:49 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador Elite, Marriott LTE, Hilton Diamond
I guess I can see both sides of the issue. There have been many flights where I have been upgraded while traveling with the family and I typically have given my upgrade to my 13yr old son. Every time I have done this, the person who is seated next to him has that initial fear but when the flight ends generally seeks me out to let me know my son was a joy to sit next to. I will periodically check on him during the flight as well.

Now, this is completely different than leaving 3 very young children unattended and that is where the difference comes in to play. Those children were not old enough to understand the difference between FC and Y beyond larger seats, food/snacks, bevs on demand, etc. The abstract portion of the difference: older, more reserved, quieter, etc. are completely lost on those ages.

What I am saying is, no way would I leave a child of that age unattended in FC, let alone 3 of them but my son is completely capable of sitting up front and is probably better behaved than several people I have seen and know on flights.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 8:51 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
soulda given them a PDB. a jack or two a piece and they're out cold.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 8:53 am

But even in the case of your well behaved young teen, it is disruptive for coach passengers to come up into the FC cabin to check on the kid and furthermore, this is against the rules. If you were in FC, you could go back into coach periodically to check on him whenever you wish, but he cannot come up to FC to visit.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Reminds me of a time in F, when we were up there, and this family across from us was travelling with another family (second family in Y), but invited all them up to F, and let them use the F lav.

This really set off my other half, and she said something to them. Of course they quickly retorted with, "You don't have kids, do you?" And she replied, "If I did, they would use the lav in their ticketed cabin."
Old Feb 28, 2012, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by channa
Reminds me of a time in F, when we were up there, and this family across from us was travelling with another family (second family in Y), but invited all them up to F, and let them use the F lav.

This really set off my other half, and she said something to them. Of course they quickly retorted with, "You don't have kids, do you?" And she replied, "If I did, they would use the lav in their ticketed cabin."
Good response, but I hope you complained to the FAs and made them enforce the rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.