Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2018, 11:19 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
For the club it's definitely a waste of time, it's basically Delta trying to get that tech in front of you so you think about it more.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by flyerCO
SDQBound was replying to MSPs comment of using Clear to access the Skyclub. It indeed seems to take longer. You have to angle your wrist correctly or it tends to not read correct.
Originally Posted by pvn
For the club it's definitely a waste of time, it's basically Delta trying to get that tech in front of you so you think about it more.
At some point we should move this discussion over to the CLEAR thread, but I completely agree here. CLEAR is great for security, but it's pointless at the SkyClub. I don't really understand how the readers are so fast at the security kiosks, but so slow in the SCs when they're theoretically using the same technology.

Also, whoever said earlier that CLEAR only works for domestic flights is not correct. I've used CLEAR many times to clear security when starting an international trip. Being able to use it when re-clearing security after customs/immigration when returning to the US is a different story and mainly depends on whether you can physically get to a TSA checkpoint that has a CLEAR line/kiosk.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:49 pm
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by gooselee
At some point we should move this discussion over to the CLEAR thread, but I completely agree here. CLEAR is great for security, but it's pointless at the SkyClub. I don't really understand how the readers are so fast at the security kiosks, but so slow in the SCs when they're theoretically using the same technology.
the speed of the scanner is absolutely meaningless when it comes to the value of clear. The value is 100% in cutting the line. FWIW I don't find the scanners in the security checkpoints to be that much faster than the ones in the clubs, but the ones in the clubs seem to be much more error prone.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by pvn
the speed of the scanner is absolutely meaningless when it comes to the value of clear. The value is 100% in cutting the line. FWIW I don't find the scanners in the security checkpoints to be that much faster than the ones in the clubs, but the ones in the clubs seem to be much more error prone.
That would make sense.
At a checkpoint, the scanner just has to get response from CLEAR server as to your membership in the program.
Where as at Skyclub it has to pass on details to Delta IT and wait to get the results in terms of your eligibility for SC such as medallion level, paid membership etc.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles, AF/KL Flying Blue
Originally Posted by hotturnip
Kind of a DYKWIA story, but it happened in EWR. Can I tell it here?

On the Sky Train between terminals. A stout woman with two kids and a GIGANTIC piece of luggage enters the car. These cars at EWR have small compartments. We already have a lot of people in there, so it's really tight. We get to the next stop. We all have to get out--EXCEPT giant suitcase lady. Several of us look at her meaningfully. She says to her kids, "OK, we have to let the other people out." And they stand there, completely blocking the exit, since they were last in. I say to her, "I think you're going to have to step out so that we can all get out." She and the kids comply--leaving giant suitcase blocking the middle of the car. She's smiling like she's done everyone a favor, and we're trying to figure out how to exit before the doors close.

I squeeze past this mammoth bag, and as I'm at the door, grab the bag and lift it out, saying, "Here, I'll put this back in for you when everyone's out." Giant suitcase lady glares at me and snaps, "I DON'T want my bag removed!" I've been up 20 hours at this point--I look at her (as everyone is pouting out of the car finally) and say, "Nobody can get out because of your bag--don't worry, I'll put it back for you." Which I promptly did. Ticked off at her, I say as I leave, "I'm just trying to be helpful." She finally seemed to have realized what was going on.

She's probably reporting ME as a DYKWIA somewhere.
This crap irritates me to no end. I'd have tried to time it perfectly so that I got her bag out onto the platform just as the doors closed. I can just imagine how wide my smile would be as the train departed.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jeet
That would make sense.
At a checkpoint, the scanner just has to get response from CLEAR server as to your membership in the program.
Where as at Skyclub it has to pass on details to Delta IT and wait to get the results in terms of your eligibility for SC such as medallion level, paid membership etc.
Aren't they testing using Clear instead of a BP at some gates in ATL or JFK? Curious how well that will work considering how awful it is at the club's.

I've had a 50/50 rate getting Clear to work at the clubs. For me anyway holding your hand at the wrong angle means it misreads.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Aren't they testing using Clear instead of a BP at some gates in ATL or JFK? Curious how well that will work considering how awful it is at the club's.

I've had a 50/50 rate getting Clear to work at the clubs. For me anyway holding your hand at the wrong angle means it misreads.
It's in DCA at all of the DL gates. I've never seen anyone use it when I've been there.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 3:16 pm
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by jeet
That would make sense.
That's not it at all. All the scanner does is see if you're in the clear system or not. The errors all occur on that part, the identification of the user. The scanner doesn't wait for delta IT, it just says "this is person X" and it's done.

The errors seem to come from the fact that the pad used is smaller than the one at the security kiosks, and there's no screen that gives the user feedback as to how his/her fingers are being read.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by pvn
The errors seem to come from the fact that the pad used is smaller than the one at the security kiosks, and there's no screen that gives the user feedback as to how his/her fingers are being read.
This makes lots of sense. At the security kiosks I do find myself rolling my fingers slightly to get the image on the screen to fill in just right.

Honestly I tried the SC scanners twice and it was so clunky both times I haven't tried/paid attention to them again.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 7:38 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
It's in DCA at all of the DL gates. I've never seen anyone use it when I've been there.
I’ve tried twice and it just holds the line as the system is really slow, so I gave up in favor of letting the GAs expedite the boarding process and also to avoid any potential DYKWIA yelling at me.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:03 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Overheard in SC

Passenger on phone with Delta rep for re-booking after realizing that late departing flight would mis-connect

...... thanks you've been a great help now is that a FC seat? (no, nothing available, all booked)

....I have 6 million ,miles on Delta can you put somebody off? (sorry I can't)

... just asking
hi55us, jinglish, dcadwell and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 3:25 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
Overheard in SC

Passenger on phone with Delta rep for re-booking after realizing that late departing flight would mis-connect

...... thanks you've been a great help now is that a FC seat? (no, nothing available, all booked)

....I have 6 million ,miles on Delta can you put somebody off? (sorry I can't)

... just asking

United will.
I got my millions on Delta in chicago and United gave me a free first class ticket to "try them" Sitting in my seat and they tried to bounce me for one of their elite.
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by BeatCal
United will.
I got my millions on Delta in chicago and United gave me a free first class ticket to "try them" Sitting in my seat and they tried to bounce me for one of their elite.
Not quite as bad but we were trying Delta for the first time in about 30 years and they bumped us from paid First to Delta Comfort. The local staff were unable to explain why we had been bumped but at least we were on the flight and we found that there wasn't much in it on that RJ if you got the first row of DC.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by MADPhil
Not quite as bad but we were trying Delta for the first time in about 30 years and they bumped us from paid First to Delta Comfort. The local staff were unable to explain why we had been bumped but at least we were on the flight and we found that there wasn't much in it on that RJ if you got the first row of DC.

there was no delta comfort 30 years ago.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:04 am
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by DiamondInTheRough
there was no delta comfort 30 years ago.
you might want to re-read the post you're replying to

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.