Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by davetravels
Was I being a DYKWIA???
It seems more like a DYKWYDI situation to me.

I didn't know where to put this. . . .
And neither did he.
davetravels likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 5:55 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by hiima
To the guy who tried to poach my FC A seat on SNA-SEA a couple weeks ago, I know your game. Trying to play it off as you read your seat letter wrong. >: (
Those folks just don't get it. If you ask, maybe I'll be nice and swap window/aisle. But poaching activates my stubbornness. Sounds like the same guy as this post:
Originally Posted by CMK10
I boarded an AA A-321 from CLT-MCO yesterday. I was ticketed in 4F and got to row 4 to find a woman in 4F. I mentioned to her I had 4F and she said "oh is this F? I thought it was D. They're all the same anyway". She made no effort to get up. I said "I prefer the window so I'd like to sit there" which prompted her to move.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29791063-post731.html
Old Jun 4, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by Gig103
Those folks just don't get it. If you ask, maybe I'll be nice and swap window/aisle. But poaching activates my stubbornness. Sounds like the same guy as this post:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29791063-post731.html
This as an ERJ? With 1-2 seating in F and I chose A so there was nobody next to me. Other guy was on the 2 side of F. I was super groggy and tired since this was a 7AM flight and was planning on sleeping the whole way.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I was on DAL-ATL or something. 4B because I like the aisle. I board late and there's a guy in 4B.

Me: "Hi, I think I'm in 4B."
Mr. Not-4B: (Almost too quickly, as if he's prepared with this answer.) "Oh, jeez, I just sat in the same seat I was on for the flight before this." (Scoots over to 4A.)
Me: "Yeah, it happens, I guess." (Think to myself: No, it really doesn't. Also, who the heck is connecting in DAL on DL?)
Mr. Not-4B: (Regales me of stories of being a DM and flying so much and he was talking to the pilot about the weather patterns.)
Me: (NC headphones = wise investment.)

At some point I realize there's no pillow or water at my seat. Ok, maybe they didn't service the cabin. Nope, all other seats have their stuff. Discovered when he want to the lav that Mr. Not-4B was using two pillows for lumbar support.. I'm guessing there was a mini Dasani in his bag on the floor by the time I got on board.
jinglish likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 6:40 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by Howste
It seems more like a DYKWYDI situation to me.
Sorry - Do You Know Where Your Drink Is?
davetravels and SoroSuub1 like this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WWads
A Diamond in business class should have shoved her out of the way.
I am there to throw the hip check when I see this happen
KDCAflyer and thunderlounge like this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:13 pm

I didn't know where to put this. . . .

Currently on an E170 LGA/ORD.
Was I being a DYKWIA???
No you were being. “DYHHIB”. Do You Know How Helpful I’m Being
davetravels, In2ishn and SoroSuub1 like this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by gooselee
I was on DAL-ATL or something. 4B because I like the aisle. I board late and there's a guy in 4B.

Me: "Hi, I think I'm in 4B."
Mr. Not-4B: (Almost too quickly, as if he's prepared with this answer.) "Oh, jeez, I just sat in the same seat I was on for the flight before this." (Scoots over to 4A.)
Me: "Yeah, it happens, I guess." (Think to myself: No, it really doesn't. Also, who the heck is connecting in DAL on DL?)
Mr. Not-4B: (Regales me of stories of being a DM and flying so much and he was talking to the pilot about the weather patterns.)

At some point I realize there's no pillow or water at my seat. Ok, maybe they didn't service the cabin. Nope, all other seats have their stuff. Discovered when he want to the lav that Mr. Not-4B was using two pillows for lumbar support.. I'm guessing there was a mini Dasani in his bag on the floor by the time I got on board.
Did you ask the FA for a bottle of water? They seem willing to distribute seconds (and thirds) upon request, but you could preface the question with some statement about having arrived to find your seat occupied and later discovering no water or pillow.

OTOH if a "seat mate" has already sat on my pillow, I really don't want it.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Did you ask the FA for a bottle of water? They seem willing to distribute seconds (and thirds) upon request, but you could preface the question with some statement about having arrived to find your seat occupied and later discovering no water or pillow.

OTOH if a "seat mate" has already sat on my pillow, I really don't want it.
FA actually offered me a PDB so no water needed . I did get a bottle as they were wrapping up service, so no worries there.

And no, I did not want the pillow back, either. It was a short flight and I was more amused by the situation than anything else.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee

HA

I'm guessing there was a mini Dasani in his bag on the floor by the time I got on board.
Was on a flight 3 or 4 Years ago. Guy in F grabbed a bunch of water bottles from other F seats after boarding and shoved them in his backpack. The guy next to him shoved about 10 more that he got from the FA when the water hoarder was in the bathroom ..... probably peeing.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by puck021

Was on a flight 3 or 4 Years ago. Guy in F grabbed a bunch of water bottles from other F seats after boarding and shoved them in his backpack. The guy next to him shoved about 10 more that he got from the FA when the water hoarder was in the bathroom ..... probably peeing.
If you see something, say something! 😁
Old Jun 7, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Originally Posted by zitsky
If you spee something, spay something! 😁
Fixed that for ya
Howste likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:20 am

I don't know if this qualifies as DYKWIA or if the guy was just a jerk.

I was flying out of my local airport last month and needed to check my bag. I was waiting on the Sky Priority line behind another couple. While the agent assisted the couple in front of me a man in the non Sky Priority line says, "There's a queue here." Realizing that he's speaking to me I look up and he repeats himself about the queue and gestures to the line that he's on.
Me: "I know. This is the sky priority line."
Him: "I'm sky priority!"
Me: "But you're not on this line."
Him: "But I was. So I'm ahead of you."
Me: "Did they tell you to move to the other line?" I should know better than to engage...
Him: "No. But I was here before you."

At this point he gets off of the line, leaving his family ("where's pop pop going?") and stands in front of me saying, "I was here before you, I'm ahead of you." He then walks up to the agent who looks over at me. I shake my head and say, "I don't care as long as I make my flight." . The GA checks him in and then he calls over to me "Are you going to Detroit? Because that flight's delayed."
Me: "That's why I let you get ahead of me."
Him: "You didn't let me, I was here first!"

Meanwhile his family is still waiting on the other line.
QDDawg likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rsqrott
I don't know if this qualifies as DYKWIA or if the guy was just a jerk.

I was flying out of my local airport last month and needed to check my bag. I was waiting on the Sky Priority line behind another couple. While the agent assisted the couple in front of me a man in the non Sky Priority line says, "There's a queue here." Realizing that he's speaking to me I look up and he repeats himself about the queue and gestures to the line that he's on.
Me: "I know. This is the sky priority line."
Him: "I'm sky priority!"
Me: "But you're not on this line."
Him: "But I was. So I'm ahead of you."
Me: "Did they tell you to move to the other line?" I should know better than to engage...
Him: "No. But I was here before you."

At this point he gets off of the line, leaving his family ("where's pop pop going?") and stands in front of me saying, "I was here before you, I'm ahead of you." He then walks up to the agent who looks over at me. I shake my head and say, "I don't care as long as I make my flight." . The GA checks him in and then he calls over to me "Are you going to Detroit? Because that flight's delayed."
Me: "That's why I let you get ahead of me."
Him: "You didn't let me, I was here first!"

Are we taking bets on whether this guy was actually SP vs. whether he just thought he was going to be in the sky and being next was his own priority in that moment?
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by rsqrott

I assume you gave thanks that you were not related to him, unlike his unfortunate family members.
wrp96 and QDDawg like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.