Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2020, 4:37 pm

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, AVIS Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by zitsky
Why not just tell him it's a laptop???
Why does it matter to him what is inside my bag? This space is not in front of his seat.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 5:19 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Originally Posted by Love_Travel
Why does it matter to him what is inside my bag? This space is not in front of his seat.
This is true, however I always wonder if the poster is being entirely truthful when they post on this thread. This is an airplane and the space is pretty tight. If the side of someone's shoe is touching my bag, I don't care. If they are putting their foot completely on my bag, I may have a problem. One time my water bottle was kind of sticking out of the side pocket of my backpack and it was touching the bag under the seat next to mine. The person said "get your water bottle off of my bag" and I did reply a bit snarkily. People do need to calm down.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 6:20 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Flying MKE-ATL and sitting in exit row (This window seat has no seat in front of me, so I put my laptop bag under the seat in the second row in front). A Passenger comes and sit in the front row and rests his left feet on my laptop. I just move my laptop bag, keeping it vertical under the seat, but he moves his feet again and rest his feet on my laptop. I politely tell him not to let his feet touch my laptop. He erupts and shouts 'give me a fu**ing break.' I told him i have food in my bag and don't want his foot touching my bag. He shouts again loud with several FU** words standing up. He is asking that i should put my laptop up in the cabin. The Attendant heard his shouting, but didn't bother to stop and see what was going on. I was patient and don't want to escalate, but this guy kept shouting. I just told him he lacks good manners. After that he removed his feet and never did it again.
I would have said, "No I am going to give you a break, learn some damn manners, that space is for my bag not your feet." After that, my next action would be to hit the call button and ask for the lead FA and/or pilot and ask them to explain to the PAX how the system works.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 7:30 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Flying MKE-ATL and sitting in exit row (This window seat has no seat in front of me, so I put my laptop bag under the seat in the second row in front). A Passenger comes and sit in the front row and rests his left feet on my laptop. I just move my laptop bag, keeping it vertical under the seat, but he moves his feet again and rest his feet on my laptop.
I'm a bit confused... you mean you were in, let's say 26A, put your bag under 24A, and the guy in 25B went out of his way to put his feet at an angle under the A seat?
Old Jan 11, 2020, 7:32 pm

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, AVIS Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by Zorak
I'm a bit confused... you mean you were in, let's say 26A, put your bag under 24A, and the guy in 25B went out of his way to put his feet at an angle under the A seat?
Yes exactly
Old Jan 11, 2020, 7:51 pm
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
Flying MKE-ATL and sitting in exit row (This window seat has no seat in front of me, so I put my laptop bag under the seat in the second row in front). A Passenger comes and sit in the front row and rests his left feet on my laptop. I just move my laptop bag, keeping it vertical under the seat, but he moves his feet again and rest his feet on my laptop. I politely tell him not to let his feet touch my laptop. He erupts and shouts 'give me a fu**ing break.' I told him i have food in my bag and don't want his foot touching my bag. He shouts again loud with several FU** words standing up. He is asking that i should put my laptop up in the cabin. The Attendant heard his shouting, but didn't bother to stop and see what was going on. I was patient and don't want to escalate, but this guy kept shouting. I just told him he lacks good manners. After that he removed his feet and never did it again.
Man, I thought the people pushing me out of RVs last night at GRR's RV show was bad... this is worse.

FA should have stepped in imo
dmarge18 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 7:56 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Yes exactly
Bizarre. Sounds like someone with a screw loose! Not sure I'd want him on my flight, let alone handling exit row duties.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
They call that "Manspreading" on subways.
Zorak likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 10:30 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
On boarding my flight from COS-ATL this morning, the GA told a lady (boarding with her husband) that she was only allowed 1 carry on and a personal item and she'd have to combine bags (she had 2 carry ons and a purse) or just let her husband carry the additional bag on. The couple go out of their way to repack the bags in front of the jetway, and instead of just carrying the bag on for his wife, the husband begins to berate the GAs. He said that they'd always been able to bring 3 bags on and asked if it were a new policy. When the GA said "it's FAA regulations," he asked for their information to write a complaint to Delta. Apparently, the wife had a screenshot (overheard them in F during the flight) supporting their argument they were going to use. I'm pretty sure the only time I've seen more than one carry on and one personal item was with duty free shopping in Asia.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 11:35 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Did the husband also have a carry-on bag?
Old Jan 11, 2020, 11:39 pm

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by dmarge18
On boarding my flight from COS-ATL this morning, the GA told a lady (boarding with her husband) that she was only allowed 1 carry on and a personal item and she'd have to combine bags (she had 2 carry ons and a purse) or just let her husband carry the additional bag on. The couple go out of their way to repack the bags in front of the jetway, and instead of just carrying the bag on for his wife, the husband begins to berate the GAs. He said that they'd always been able to bring 3 bags on and asked if it were a new policy. When the GA said "it's FAA regulations," he asked for their information to write a complaint to Delta. Apparently, the wife had a screenshot (overheard them in F during the flight) supporting their argument they were going to use. I'm pretty sure the only time I've seen more than one carry on and one personal item was with duty free shopping in Asia.
Could one have been a medical device that would not count?
Old Jan 12, 2020, 11:47 am

Programs: SkyMiles, HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by dmarge18
The husband saying "they've always been able to bring 3" and "is this a new policy" actually really does reek of DYKWIA behavior - if you fly with anything remotely resembling any sort of regularity, you're going to have heard the repeated admonitions that you're allowed one carry on and one personal item. Over and over. The only way you don't hear it is if you're making a point of ignoring any and all gate announcements.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 3:28 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by diburning
Did the husband also have a carry-on bag?
He did have a carry on, but that's a good point (as opposed to personal item). Either way, the GA seemed to be willing to just let him carry the extra one and they still felt the need to make a fuss of it.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 4:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Often people can consolidate two personal items into one, but then they must undo everything once on board because what's needed in flight has already been organized. This slows the boarding process.

Do GAs want to win the battle but lose the war?

Fussing over who carries an item is even more petty.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Yes exactly
Technically that wasn't your space to use. As there was no seat in front of you technically no place for undeseat storage. Now with that said, if had already put bag there, there's no excuse for putting feet on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.