Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I know where that is.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Originally Posted by sol95
LOL

I'm Australian. This is the FIRST time I have ever heard "knock someone up" used in that context. I suspect you're off base on saying that's how it's used in Australia.

In Aussie slang, to "knock up" something is do a quick job of putting something together...so "I'll knock up a quick meal when I have unexpected visitors".
I'm not Aussie but have worked there 2007/2008 and 2016/present my three favorite sayings I've heard are

"All over the shop"
"doing my head in"
"yeah,nah or nah,yeah"
Old Mar 9, 2018, 6:16 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I would have paid $125 to ride in the upper deck of a 747 if I never had before. I only rode once in the upper deck of a 747 and that was a short CDG/DTW flight but the 1:1 seating was great and the service was amazing.
Pan Ams upper deck used to have a circular bar and a piano. It was great "those were the days"

Singapore's upper deck is nice but the service is less than downstairs Really for people who want to sleep
Old Mar 9, 2018, 7:12 am

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
747 Pics of me in the early '70s

Upper deck

Piano Bar lower deck

Great Hair!
Old Mar 9, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
A youngster in a cocktail bar. Heavens to Betsy.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 7:22 am

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
A youngster in a cocktail bar. Heavens to Betsy.
We flew FC - ORD/PHX for Cubs spring training. I have pics of toasting my dad with Champagne they served me at 14.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
The good ole days when you could still smoke an airplane. My parents who smoked used to put us back in the smoking section. Twas disgusting.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Love those FA hairdo's - very Austin Powers

Did anyone notice the giant eagle emblem hung on the wall? In an accident, how many people would that thing take out while flying through the cabin?
Old Mar 9, 2018, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Love those FA hairdo's - very Austin Powers

Did anyone notice the giant eagle emblem hung on the wall? In an accident, how many people would that thing take out while flying through the cabin?
gotta love the yellow bulkhead carpeting. I feel stoned just looking at it.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Dovster
When Richard Anderson used to tell us that Delta "has your back" people in both Atlanta and New York would say "Bless his heart".

Of course, in Atlanta they meant that Anderson was not too bright. In New York, they were certain that Anderson was bragging about how Delta is performing a sexual act on its passengers made famous in Last Tango in Paris.
I doubt that the New Yawkers would say "Bless his heart."

You have to be well-experienced in the culture below the Mason-Dixon line (well below) to understand the full significance of that phrase.

But, the NYC interpretation of "have your back" is more in line with how the FF program has been administered under some DL administrations.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
OT, but what's so wonderful about BA service? I get the sense that many folks here on FT pick BA because its business is fairly cheap (especially the exEU fares) and it can be pretty easy (and cheap) to get status.

BTW, my favorite example of expressions not translating well between British and American is the transitive verb "to knock someone up". In British (and also Australian), it means to go to the person's door (for example, of his/her home) and knock on it or ring the doorbell while in American it means to impregnate the (presumably female) person, typically as a result of (probably unprotected) sexual intercourse.
This phrase dates back to the beginnings of industrialization in the UK.

When company towns grew up around industrial plants, and in the days before alarm clocks, a company employee would go from door-to-door knocking up the employees in the mornings.

And, let's not venture onto the topic of how you have to request an eraser in the UK.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
And, let's not venture onto the topic of how you have to request an eraser in the UK.
In my pencil case at school I always had at least two rubbers. Sometimes, I would also have a pencil with a rubber on the end.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Like a when a friend from the UK whilst working in the US came into a colleague's office and said "he made a mistake and needed a rubber??"

To which his colleague replied "it seems like it is a bit late for one now."
Old Mar 9, 2018, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Like a when a friend from the UK whilst working in the US came into a colleague's office and said "he made a mistake and needed a rubber??"

To which his colleague replied "it seems like it is a bit late for one now."
I can't stop laughing at that one.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 6:20 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Originally Posted by Tomphot
747 Pics of me in the early '70s
Great Hair!
Those were the days

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.