Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2012, 11:44 pm

This happened way back when we were still NWO. Working FC into LAX. 727-200.

One pax in 3B was constantly complaining. "When will we get there?" Not asking, demanding to know. And then he was upset because I could not find out when and where is wife was arriving (on TWA). I explained that we wouldn't have TWA's information, that we were a different carrier. "THAT'S NO EXCUSE! I'M NEVER FLYING NORTHWEST AGAIN!"

Two men sitting behind him in 4 A&B were watching my interaction the entire flight. They let me know the guy was jerk, and they could feel my pain.

Then while pouring red wine for 4B, Mr. DYKWIA turned in his seat and grabbed my arm that was pouring the wine. The wine went all over 4B. At that point, I had to stop 4B from clocking 3B. I told 3B to stop with the foolishness and be quiet for the remainder of the flight. He was getting on most everyone's nerves in FC. I also told him to expect 4B to be talking to him for the cleaning bill. Never heard another peep out of him.

4B would not accept any compensation or compensation for cleaning his suit. He said it wasn't my fault and the other guy was going to pay.

I wrote up an incident report, but heard nothing more about the situation. I really wanted to get off the plane with those two to see their interaction!
Old Feb 5, 2012, 4:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH gold
Originally Posted by NWAFA
I don't have the patience to be a FA. You all really put up with a lot, so I really appreciate the good service that DL typically provides.

As for that passenger, in what alternative universe is it acceptable to make contact with a FA just to get their attention? I would've slugged the guy. Kudos for keeping your cool.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by DCBob
Hmmm... the only thing these routes above have in common with LAX-JFK and JFK-LAX is JFK. Wonder if the loudmouths live near JFK?
Yo mama
Old Feb 5, 2012, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
This is why I do not fly in coach or with Golds....
Yeah, those DYKWIA wannabees are really annoying to us real DYNWIAs.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 12:24 pm

Programs: SkyMiles Diamond, OnePass Platinum, AVIS President's Club, Hilton Diamond
Fll dykwia

Classic DYKWIA in FLL today. He was first in line at the Sky Priority line, all by himself, and each of his carry-ons had the metal Diamond Skymiles Tag. To make it even better, he was wearing one of those clear ID pouches around his neck and had hid Diamond Skymiles Card in there. He kept making sure that all his tags were facing the right way so everyuone would know he was Diamond. I wanted to rip it off his neck and smack him with it.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Hopi65
Classic DYKWIA in FLL today. He was first in line at the Sky Priority line, all by himself, and each of his carry-ons had the metal Diamond Skymiles Tag. To make it even better, he was wearing one of those clear ID pouches around his neck and had hid Diamond Skymiles Card in there. He kept making sure that all his tags were facing the right way so everyuone would know he was Diamond. I wanted to rip it off his neck and smack him with it.
People were looking at him but they were not in awe at that he can fly almost as much as my grandson....they were laughing at him for being an idiot.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 12:34 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
I wanted to rip it off his neck and smack him with it.
So what stopped you?
Old Feb 13, 2012, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
playa hatah...
Old Feb 13, 2012, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Some people WANT others to KNOW WHO THEY ARE...I mean, c'mon....because we all care....right??

Old Feb 13, 2012, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, EY Plat, MM Senator
Ain't he special! My daughter (was 6 then) looked at my tag and very disappointingly noticed "but there are no diamonds there, so you are not a real diamond flyer!" She was so right, on so many levels ... I guess, for some people it might me a "lifetime accomplishment award"
Old Feb 13, 2012, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by glbetrotter
Ain't he special! My daughter (was 6 then) looked at my tag and very disappointingly noticed "but there are no diamonds there, so you are not a real diamond flyer!" She was so right, on so many levels ... I guess, for some people it might me a "lifetime accomplishment award"
My cats stole one of my AA EXP luggage tags and enthusiastically fought over it for days, they showed zero interest in PM tags, so there can be no doubt which type of status is more valuable.

I jokingly told my wife whichever one won could wear the tag if we ever needed to check them for travel... she took the cats and referred me to a divorce lawyer. I'm not sure which one of us missed the punchline...
Old Feb 13, 2012, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Bloody hell you guys - you are making me self concious. When my Platinum tags arrived I have decided I will not use them. One of you lot (FTers) will spot them at IND-ATL or MAN or other and start a thread about me. Oh well.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 1:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, EY Plat, MM Senator
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Bloody hell you guys - you are making me self concious. When my Platinum tags arrived I have decided I will not use them. One of you lot (FTers) will spot them at IND-ATL or MAN or other and start a thread about me. Oh well.
Oh, I still have it on my carry-on bag. It gets checked in every now and then, maybe it will help to recover it or something. Why not? Just don't think there is any point of having one in a clear pouch on your neck ....
Old Feb 13, 2012, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by glbetrotter
Oh, I still have it on my carry-on bag. It gets checked in every now and then, maybe it will help to recover it or something. Why not? Just don't think there is any point of having one in a clear pouch on your neck ....
I would just expand that a little and say: "there is no need to have ANYTHING hanging around your neck in a pouch". It is kind of the "pocket protector" of the travel ranks. I am not sure I could NOT laugh if I saw it
Old Feb 13, 2012, 1:57 pm

Programs: Waffle House DM
I say leave them alone. It's just the same as the guys with "Truck Nuts" (you know, the pseudo bull's scrotum that rednecks hang from towing hitches) whereby you can instantly spot the kind of people you need to avoid in a crowd - well, it's the same deal with all the DYKWIA tags. It tells you everything you need to know about the individual without wasting any time actually talking to them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.