Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Old Oct 14, 2010, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
We see a lot of them in FT, too. They elevate DYKWHIA to a new level.
LOL.

It's hard not to engage in a bit of schadenfreude with each new (almost daily) "I'm Diamond and I didn't get upgraded!" thread.

Did we have as many "I'm Platinum and I didn't get upgraded!" threads last year?
Old Oct 14, 2010, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond
I would bet good money it was a member of this forum. Infact I can think of several off the top of my head who it could have been. You know who you are...
Old Oct 14, 2010, 6:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG PM, AVIS First
Personally, I am still waiting for my own Sky Priority mat to arrive. Then I can place in front of the fridge at home and try out all a whole range of new tactics to get on that plane first!
Old Oct 14, 2010, 7:04 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Originally Posted by presto310
You should've accidentally tripped him.
I thought I had to be a Diamond to trip him. October 26, I will find him and trip him, I promise, Don't you know who I almost am?
Old Oct 14, 2010, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by pdac1975
I would bet good money it was a member of this forum. Infact I can think of several off the top of my head who it could have been. You know who you are...
Well if you are/were on a plane to LAX..this could be you...
Old Oct 14, 2010, 7:17 pm

Programs: DL PM(sigh)/2.3MM & a bunch of other programs...
Originally Posted by dean1121
Not all DM's are a$$holes, some of us are polite and don't flaunt our status. I have witnessed jerks on every medallion tier. Like the GM who was demanding the last upgrade and fuming, the GA said "I have a DM ahead of you sir" then I calmly walk up collect my new BP and just smile.
+1. I've been in that situation as well.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by avidflyer
For sale: 2 Diamond Medallion Luggage tags. "Charter Member" collectible version. Slightly scuffed up but this we know there were only 32k made and now we also know that at least one set is gone (the OP's).

Highest bidder!
Cross posted. Highest current bid is 200k sky pesos.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 7:23 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Maaaan, am I peeved! I'm flying PIT/ATL next week, and my upgrade came thru today - at the 6 day mark. Yesterday, the entire FC cabin was empty. Today, it's almost full and I'm stuck in a window seat! Did all of those aisle seats go to the "Diamond" entitled crowd! Don't they know I'm a Platinum guy flying from PIT earning DMQM's, on the verge of Diamond?

Originally Posted by Keigwyn
Personally, I am still waiting for my own Sky Priority mat to arrive. Then I can place in front of the fridge at home and try out all a whole range of new tactics to get on that plane first!
A slight twist on your idea . . . I think, for every flight, the FA's should palce a small blue SkyPriority mat on the floor at every Diamond's seat, so they can feel the recognition they expect!! (and we can see who you are!!)
Old Oct 14, 2010, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
Well if you are/were on a plane to LAX..this could be you...
How do you figure?
Old Oct 14, 2010, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I am always surprised at how much entitlement elite members feel. Just the other day I was flying DTW-LAX on the 777LR with lie flats and I overheard a DM and a PM basically yelling at the GA and saying they fly this route all the time and always get upgraded. I just sat back laughing....I mean seriously we are talking about "COMPLIMENTARY UPGRADES"....how do you expect to get upgraded everytime. I mean contrary to the DM and PMs belief SOME flights will have a full PAID first class cabin. I just don't get why they expect an upgrade when they purchase L, U, T fares...I mean come on, if it happens awesome, if not you shouldnt be upset! I was also amazed by the DMs concern for the upgrade, he was persistant, kept going back to the GA and checking on the status, then looking at his Blackberry, then asking if FC was full, if there would be any misconnects, if everyone checked in, etc.....To me it was just ridiculous, I mean I love getting upgraded but this kind of behavior seems very childish to me.

On a side note, that was the first time that I had flown 772LR in F (have been on the 772ER in F, 764, 763, 752, 333, 332) and I was really impressed by the product...hopefully we see Delta fit more planes with these seats
Old Oct 14, 2010, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davetravels
Maaaan, am I peeved! I'm flying PIT/ATL next week, and my upgrade came thru today - at the 6 day mark. Yesterday, the entire FC cabin was empty. Today, it's almost full and I'm stuck in a window seat! Did all of those aisle seats go to the "Diamond" entitled crowd!
Absolutely. What you do not understand (but will after the ceremony when you cross DM) is that DMs have control of the entire FC seat map. Even if you get an aisle, I am going to come along and move you over. Nice unpublished perk but I want to be able to move people back to coach so I can get more companions up front..
Old Oct 14, 2010, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by pdac1975
How do you figure?
I wasn't talking to you specifically. I was responding to the fact that you said the person might be a FT member and I was stating that this happened while boarding a flight to LAX.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
I mean contrary to the DM and PMs belief SOME flights will have a full PAID first class cabin
I know what you are saying (and agree that the level of entitlement is unbelievable) but they will almost NEVER sell out FC on a DTW-LAX 777. VERY FEW FC cabins sell more than 50% at full FC price. You will occasionally get higher "paid" numbers on routes where they sell A fares but 100% sold out is very rare.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wasn't talking to you specifically. I was responding to the fact that you said the person might be a FT member and I was stating that this happened while boarding a flight to LAX.
This happens almost daily while boarding at LAX. I fly every day . But seriously, I live here as of a year and a half ago and being from Boston is culture shock at its most shocking. I have lived in Dublin, Hong Kong, San Francisco, and Madison WI but LA is LOADED with more DYK...IA's, both the city and the airport than all of those other cities combined. I am also in the Music industry and that is also loaded with DYK...IA's. I have to shut it off in my mind or I would freaking shank somebody.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 7:42 pm

Cool

Got it. I. Thought you meant it could be me specifically.
Don't get me wrong, while I do enjoy a few Pre-departure drinks, I figure I would remember being an ..., not to mention being in LA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.